PDA

View Full Version : loan collection?

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
04-21-2007, 03:36 AM
What does it take for a print to go into the loan collection?

Michael_Gan
04-21-2007, 08:00 AM
Nice judges who agree with what you've created :)

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
04-21-2007, 08:04 AM
is that all. :)

D._Craig_Flory
04-21-2007, 01:24 PM
Hi Sue Ellen;

He was sort of kidding with you. They first need to have gotten a merit. Then the judges pick the loan prints. It has been explained to me that it is not necessarily the best but just something special that the judges like. And since PPA no longer gives scores but rather does thumbs up and thumbs down there are no scores to base it on. Maybe some affiliate judges can give a better take on it.

Keith_A_Howe
04-22-2007, 05:52 AM
At national judging the print goes before a panel of jurors and must be "elected" by a majority of 2/3rds ( not just a simple majority). It usually works out to be about the top ten percent best images of the show but it is not regulated in any way. Like only so many or anything like that. A loan panel has at least 10 or 12 judges as opposed to a regular panel with has 5 or 6. The print can be challenged and discussed the same as when it was being judged for merit. It can even be roved to another loan panel. So D. Craig - it really is the best of the best.

Showcase Book - in case anybody would like to know. . .
Marathon press can use about 400 images in the Showcase book. There are about 40 judges at national each year. So each judge is given 10 tokens to use for showcase book (40x10=400) As a judge sees an image that is NOT chosen for loan but they feel is worthy - they "buy" it a place in the showcase book with one of their tokens. So generally but not always it is an image they feel should have been loan collection but did not receive enough thumbs up.

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
04-22-2007, 06:08 AM
So how long has the loan collection existed? How many images are in it? Where is it? what is done with the images it contains? I suppose I should search the PPA web site and I might find some of these answers.

Dave_Cisco
04-22-2007, 06:27 AM
So how long has the loan collection existed? How many images are in it? Where is it? what is done with the images it contains? I suppose I should search the PPA web site and I might find some of these answers.
Why are oranges orange?:D

Michael_Gan
04-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Loan collection has been around for quite a while. My first loan image was in 1979

Keith_A_Howe
04-26-2007, 02:36 AM
Sue Ellen. The loan collection has been around as long as I can remember. It is held by PPA and associations can request to have part of it at their event. It is my understanding that they "check it out" from Jim Dingwell PEC Exec., he would be able to verify all the details but I think it is available for the cost of shipping to and from the event. I know that one of my loan prints went to Korea and back. Slides of the current loan collection and the general collection are used in the "charge to the judges" just before we start judging at an affiliated event. It is really inspiring to be at your associations say summer event and be able to look through a bunch of the current loan collection prints. As for the number of images, there is no set number. I assume that there were several more images this last year as my loan book arrived just the other day and it was thicker than in the past. There are 324 pages of images. If there were an average of 3 images per spread that would be 486 images.... does that help?
Keith