PDA

View Full Version : Keith Howe ... Six Sons

D._Craig_Flory
04-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi Keith;

I'm in the final stage of getting titles for this weekend's Pa. print competition. I was leafing through the 1994 Loan Book and was looking at titles when I happened to see a loan print by you of 7 cowboys ... a Dad standing and 6 sons on horseback silhouetted on a hill. It was titled "Six Sons". IMPRESSIVE !!! Do you remember that one ?

Keith_A_Howe
04-19-2007, 10:15 PM
That's funny cause I just came across that last night. hadn't thought about it in years. Used to be a publication - maybe still is - called Infoto. I had an article in there about silhoettes. Anyway we are remodeling and moving furniture around and I came across that magazine under the bed in a stack of stuff. Actually it is Dad, 4 sons, 1 grandson and 1 son in law - but that's not as good a title!

Ron_Jackson
04-19-2007, 11:56 PM
Oh please mister Howe! Post it for us to see! Please please please?
And thank you.
Ron

Jane_Lydick_Staid
04-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Its a beautiful shot, I have that book (cause I have a print in there too)

D._Craig_Flory
04-20-2007, 12:02 PM
Hi Jane;

Now I'll have to go through it again to see what section holds your image.

Keith_A_Howe
04-20-2007, 04:06 PM
Oh please mister Howe! Post it for us to see! Please please please?
And thank you.
Ron

Look at the date 1994. That wasn't digital - heck it might not even have been film - I might have chisled it in stone! I guess I could scan the magazine image - but that wouldn't reproduce too well. Otherwise I would be happy to post it for you.

Keith

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
04-20-2007, 04:09 PM
chisled it in stone! Keith

dawgone it, Keith...don't crash my computer... :)

D._Craig_Flory
04-20-2007, 05:13 PM
Hi Keith;

In going back through the book, I found another Keith Howe image ... "Wind Swept" ! VERY COOOOL

D._Craig_Flory
04-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Hi Jane;

Your image was titled "Window on my Dreams". It is a gorgeous bridal portrait in a terrific stairway.

Jane_Lydick_Staid
04-20-2007, 05:23 PM
Hi Craig,

Yes that is my one and only Loan Collection print! Interesting story, a bride who came into the studio to book her wedding had a friend with her who saw that image and asked where it was taken. A few years later she had her wedding at the same place and I did the exact same shot and pose of her.

Jane_Lydick_Staid
04-20-2007, 05:25 PM
Keith,

We used to do some pretty cool stuff with film and dyes and dry dyes and fumes from the glossy spray and glue.

So much easier now!

D._Craig_Flory
04-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi Jane;

I'm waiting for Keith to post some of his hammer and chisel carvings he used to enter back before film. :D

D._Craig_Flory
04-21-2007, 12:12 AM
Hi Keith;

Here is your one image from the 1994 Loan Book. I didn't take the time tp set up my table top stuff in the camera room but did it in my workroom instead.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/KeithHoweWindSwept.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
04-21-2007, 12:14 AM
Hi Keith;

Here is the other loan image from the 1994 book.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/KeithHoweSixSons.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
04-21-2007, 12:15 AM
Hi Jane ;

Here is the loan image you had in the 1994 book.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/JaneStaidWindowOnMyDreams.jpg

MaryAnn_Talamo
04-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Wow, those are all so beautiful!!

No Photoshop, huh, go figure!:) Controversial question - would they still go loan today with no PS work (and no, I don't think any of them need it for improvement!)?

Keith_A_Howe
04-21-2007, 04:36 AM
Wow, those are all so beautiful!!

No Photoshop, huh, go figure!:) Controversial question - would they still go loan today with no PS work (and no, I don't think any of them need it for improvement!)?

First Thank You for your kind comments. Next - just because there is no PS doesn't mean there was no artwork. We just did it the old fashioned way right Jane? So yes I think they would make Loan collection now - I hope they would - it just would be a heck of a lot easier and less time consuming to do. Plus a lot better for your health.

Keith

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
04-21-2007, 07:02 AM
the image of the gymnast especially intrigues me. What is the title? How did you get her hair to do what it's doing? Where was this shot? What was she doing? Very cool. (glad you didn't mind D. Craig violating copyright... so we could enjoy) :)

Jane_Lydick_Staid
04-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Right Keith we did it the old fashioned way with dodging burning and tons of dyes and dry dyes and spit and glue. We put alot of work into those images.

D._Craig_Flory
04-21-2007, 02:16 PM
Hi Jane and Keith;

I once heard that Helen Yancy would send a print case back to a photographer without enhancing them at all .. if the photographer said to "make them merit prints". Dry dyes, wet dyes, toothy spray lacquer and pencils, and lots more... we did a lot of work back then. I even remember using an etching knife on negatives as well as putting on retouch dope and then using a retouching pencil in a lead holder. (still have a few and an etching knife)

I used to do step mounts ... physically ! I had a print made and mounted it on a thin board. I'd trim it down and add some sort of material to the back(or a monochromatic print paper printed from a single color from the image) and then trim that so just a sliver showed. A matte board in a color complimenting the image would be chosen. I would take it in my spray booth and give it between 4 to 6 coats of hi gloss spray to deepen and enrich the color. Then I'd add a board behind that so it would be thick enough for the rules. Finally I would mount the image board to it. I learned this from Master Craftsman Jerry Pokorny ... I still own the video tape I bought from him "Mounting Up Merits".

Whew was that work !!! Thank goodness for Photoshop !

Jane_Lydick_Staid
04-21-2007, 02:42 PM
Hi Craig,

We had an inhouse lab for years that my husband ran and eventually owned. Sadly, we shut it down last fall and my husband got a real job. I used to do all my own comp prints not just for myself but for many of my photographer friends. A few of them used to hang out in the darkroom with me as I printed them. Now I just upload to the lab after spending very little time doing PS.

For step mounting, I had my own style. I would save the large pieces of oaktag that came in the 16x20 and 20x24 paper boxes. I mounted a piece of black photo paper onto the board. I would trim my prints after doing all the dye work and mount them onto a piece of oaktag that had been sprayed with gold spray paint and sealed with lacquer. Then I trimmed the oaktag to the desired width and mounted that onto the black board. This used to take HOURS for just one print. I spend many a late night finishing my prints and drove home with a headache from the fumes.

Ron_Jackson
04-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks D. Craig for posting those. Jane that is a beautiful image and it is clear why it deserves space in the book.

Keith, "Six Sons" is beautiful and amazing! What a great image. The gymnast is also incredibly creative. Love it! Is that Holly doing that pose?
Ron

MaryAnn_Talamo
04-22-2007, 12:40 AM
Keith and Jane - I hope you know I never meant to imply that you didn't work hard on your images...from what I can see here, they are beautiful and worth every accolade they received. But you did have to get it right SOOC first, and whatever was in those prints was on that negative, only enhanced. I was just joking how those skills are frequently forgotten in these PS days of "we'll fix it in post".

jeffhaynie
04-22-2007, 02:52 AM
the image of the gymnast especially intrigues me. What is the title? How did you get her hair to do what it's doing? Where was this shot? What was she doing? Very cool. (glad you didn't mind D. Craig violating copyright... so we could enjoy) :)

Sue Ellen,

Looks like the origninal photo has been rotated 15 degrees clockwise. Notice the shadow is coming from the right and would be falling downward like her hair with gravity.

Is that right, Keith?

Keith_A_Howe
04-22-2007, 04:24 AM

Title was Wind Swept - I also have an image in the loan book that just came out with that same title - so appparently it is a good one. The image was rotated as Jeff suggested - but 90 degrees not 15. This was photographed (I'm sorry - I just don't shoot people - it's too messy) in Fremont NE at the local middle school. It has two buildings on opposite sides of a very busy street. There is a sky walk supported by these cement pylons with circles cut out. I had looked at them for years - knowing there was an image there. So one time when I was in town, I called a dancer we knew who had wanted a portraits in a unsual location and she met us to do the session. As far as D. Craig and the copyright - well he was trying to be helpful but perhaps we might all in the future make it a point to ask before we post others images. I would have of course told him no problem - but someone else might not have felt the same. I also believe that the loan book publisher may have some copyrights also - not sure about that. This was before Marathon did the book.

Looks like the origninal photo has been rotated 15 degrees clockwise. Notice the shadow is coming from the right and would be falling downward like her hair with gravity.

Is that right, Keith?

Uhm Jeff - light and shadows are not effected by gravity. I see what you are saying - but the light direction is effected by the sun and which side of the squares happen to be open to light. If the image was photographed as it is presented and the sun was low in the sky to the right side of the image and it was walled off and there was open sky above her - it would have created this same light pattern. Also - D. Craigs copy is a lot more contrasty than the original - so the shadow looks much darker here than in the actual print.

This image was originally created in about 1986. I entered another image of her from this same session that next year. It also went loan - different outfit - different pose. Kodak also purchased usage of it for their times of your Life slide show and in trade show booths. A year later I entered another print from this session in a whole different location - it also went loan. Then in 1994 I entered this print - after they did away with the time limits of two years. It went loan - Then in 1996 - I entered this same girl's wedding album - it went loan. She is a big part of how I got my Imaging Excellance Award! too bad she moved to New York and I can't keep photographing her!

Keith