PDA

View Full Version : Nuts and bolts wedding photography

David_A._Lottes
04-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Hello All!
I got an email yesterday informing me that the deadline to register as an instructor for this coming November's Super Monday is coming up soon. I have both attended and conducted these seminars in the past and plan to do one or the other this coming November. Before I throw my hat into the ring I thought I'd test the water here. If I were to put together a course it would be a nuts and bolts "how to" for wedding photography. Everything from booking the client to delivering the finished product. I am by no means a high end Rock Star photographer with magic silver bullets to make you rich overnight. Strictly meat and potatoes with 20 years of wedding photographs in my files. Would there be any interest in this kind of program? I gave a program like this to a PPA affiliate this time last year and attendance was good. But, often attendance at those type of meetings is as much about supporting the organization as it is hearing the speaker. I would just as soon attend a Super Monday seminar if there is no interest in the kind of "basic" instruction I could give. Please let me know if you think it would be a valuable program. I need to make up my mind by the first week of May. Thanks! - David

Joe_Galioto
04-14-2007, 01:48 PM
david,
with so many new photographer entering the field, i think there is always interest in basic bread & butter courses. if your attendance was good last time, i'm sure it will be a good draw again. many programs by high end photographers don't cover the nuts & bolts of getting started, and the info given is not always applicable to real beginers.
don't you hate attending a program, and the speaker just shows you thier beutiful celibraty shots, but dosn't teach how they were created.

good luck
joe

D._Craig_Flory
04-14-2007, 01:59 PM
Hi David;

Go for it. I'm sure you will have a lot, from on here, traveling to Illinois to take your class. As Joe said, there are always those who need starter classes.

Karen_Linsley
04-14-2007, 03:26 PM
I think a basic program would be very valuable. I also commend your motives, which seem to be: what can I teach? Can't go wrong with motives like that.

David_A._Lottes
04-14-2007, 03:48 PM
Thanks all!
I know the bread and butter programs were what I needed most when I was getting started but I wanted to be sure anyone still wanted to start with the basics anymore.

Brian_Dunn
04-21-2007, 06:12 AM
It'd be interesting to see someone do an entire program on how to do glorious work with a mundane setting like a bare concrete church basement. Things like portable pop up backdrops, using remote lights or the image editor levels controls to kill the background during dancing, telephoto work to minimize background clutter, how to do a killer cake photo, gritty black and white to go with a bare doorway, 17 poses at simple front church steps, step ladder or wide angle for unique views in an otherwise simple front lawn, accent lights to wake up the church formals, vignetting tricks, depth of field tricks, and how to work with people who don't even see the possibilities.

Brian

David_A._Lottes
04-21-2007, 01:25 PM
glorious work with a mundane setting like a bare concrete church basement. Things like portable pop up backdrops, using remote lights or the image editor levels controls to kill the background during dancing, telephoto work to minimize background clutter, how to do a killer cake photo, gritty black and white to go with a bare doorway, 17 poses at simple front church steps, step ladder or wide angle for unique views in an otherwise simple front lawn, accent lights to wake up the church formals, vignetting tricks, depth of field tricks, and how to work with people who don't even see the possibilities.

Brian

WOW...that sounds like a great program! I wanna go to that one!

Honestly Brian those are great ideas. However I would hate to promise to be able to teach a room full all that in one day for $99.00. I'm not even a Craftsman so I don't get any money from teaching a Super Monday. I would just like to help out some beginners like others helped me. Besides, my idea of glorious might not be the same as others. Nope I'm just talking nuts and bolts. The only thing I can promise is to give people the tools needed to get them the opportunity to create images like your talking about. My only remarkable feat is having done weddings for twenty years (this June) and never gotten sued or filed bankruptcy. I'll be doing my two hundred something th wedding this June and am already talking with a bride for one next June. If you want to learn how to keep the phone ringing and the clients happy I can help. But your topics could definitely be discussed at length during an afternoon in a church. I'm thinking I would spend the morning in the studio going over the booking process from marketing to consultation and then spend the afternoon in a church going over the logistics and flow of a wedding. That's where we could climb around on ladders and talk about different angles. It could be more group participation than lecture if thats what people would like.:)

Stan_Lawrence
04-21-2007, 03:01 PM
"I am by no means a high end Rock Star photographer with magic silver bullets to make you rich overnight."

That's probably your best selling point, since most of those are nothing but a dog and pony show, all glitz and no substance. Go for it Dave....:cool:

Dan_Leary
04-21-2007, 03:52 PM
That's probably your best selling point, since most of those are nothing but a dog and pony show, all glitz and no substance. Go for it Dave....:cool:

Stan, you are wise beyond your years.;) I guess this means you'll be Ebaying your Light Spheres.

Stan_Lawrence
04-21-2007, 04:07 PM
"Stan, you are wise beyond your years."

Thanks, dude, I have a lot of years....;)

Paul_Finkelstein
04-22-2007, 02:59 AM
when would the course be...I may be there to learn from ya!!
big :)
Paul

Howard_Kier
04-22-2007, 06:21 AM
David,

I have been thinking about doing a "Business of Wedding Photography" Super Monday program. Would you like to team teach?

Howard

David_A._Lottes
04-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Hi Howard
That sounds like a great idea! If not this November maybe next April. I'll email you tomorrow.:)

David_A._Lottes
05-16-2007, 04:54 PM
Just got confirmation that the Nuts and Bolts Super Monday program is on the list for this November. I'm going to do my best to keep my big mouth shut and learn as much new stuff as possible between now and then so I have something new worth your time to share by then. Howard and I decided not to do the tag team thing this time around but maybe in the future. I hope to see some old friends and meet some of my OurPPA buddies in person. Please PM me if you have questions about the program. It should be fun.:D