PDA

View Full Version : Certification matters

D._Craig_Flory
04-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Hi group;

In the monthly certification newsletter, two PPA Forum members had something to say:

Being a Certified Professional Wedding Photographer has allowed me to

book at least a couple of weddings which I might otherwise have lost to

other photographers. In both instances, my clients told me

"Certification matters and was a deciding factor in selecting you over

the other photographers we were considering." While these clients may

not have understood everything which is involved in certification, they

themselves are in industries such as accounting or education where

certification provides a level of prestige.

Howard Kier

When I became Certified The first thing I did was put a new headshot of myself along with a press release from PPA in my local paper. People literally stopped me on the street to congratulate me and families of seniors I had photographed the previous summer sent me cards saying how much they enjoyed telling other people that their photographer was one of only X number of photographers in the country to have this designation. I framed my certificate and hung it on the wall right at the entrance to the studio. I started using the Certified logo on my cards, letterhead and price lists. Anytime I ran an ad in the paper or yellow pages I included the logo. My web site has a link to the PPA web sites page explaining what Certification is and I use the Logo on my site. Almost every bride that has interviewed me to photograph her wedding has asked what it means. Anytime they see me or my name it says Certified and they remember it and ask about it.

David Lottes

Ed_Booth
04-12-2007, 10:58 PM
I agree with D.Craig. Certification is something to be proud of. It is only benifitial if you use it. Like D.Craig, use it on everything. The word "Certified" is more recognized than Masters Degree or Photographic Craftsman. Just my opinion.
Ed

D._Craig_Flory
04-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi group;

Where are all of the members leaving praises for Howard Kier and David Lottes for being featured in the latest certification newsletter ?

Anyhow ... congratulations to you both !

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-13-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks for bringing this to our attention, D Craig. Is this a newsletter just for CPP's? If so, I dont' get the newsletter - yet. :)

Congrats to Howard and David!! Well spoken and I'm looking forward to getting my certification and enjoying the success that you two speak of.

Lori_Clapp
04-13-2007, 02:39 PM
Congrats guys - are you selling autographs? I don't get this newsletter either, but I'm studying to become Certified!

Betsy_Finn
04-13-2007, 02:56 PM
Hey Craig, what newsletter are you talking about? I'm CPP but don't remember getting one.... is this another secret society ;) ?

KirkDarling
04-13-2007, 03:05 PM
I had heard about the newsletter, but I'm not getting it either. Maybe it's a regional thing.

D._Craig_Flory
04-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi group;

April Certification Liaison Newsletter .... you need to be a C.P.P. Liaison to get it. Doesn't it make you that are certified want to be a liaison and give the exam ?

Liz_Vance
04-13-2007, 04:27 PM
And the next question is.... how does one go about being a CPP Liaison? What does it entail? I'll do anything for a newsletter. :)

David_A._Lottes
04-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the acknowledgement D.Craig!

As you can see, Howard and I are tremendously popular.:cool:

Do you know whose chain I need to yank to get a copy for my memoir.

D._Craig_Flory
04-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Hi Liz;

Just call PPA and tell them you are interested in becoming a C.P.P. Liaison. You will be listed in the liaison list so photographers can contact you for information about the program. I give the exam at each of our four state assn. meetings. (we have three 2 day meetings and a 4 day convention and I give it on the Sunday of each meeting if anyone signed up to take it) Are you a member of your state group ? If not maybe you could set it up with them for you to give it at their meetings.

One benefit is that you get two service merits per year for serving as a liaison. They can be used towards Craftsman or Master. (since I have Craftsman I'm saving them up for Master now)

I have anyone looking to take the exam contact me so I know how much space and how big a room I will need. (they also need to pay the fee and let PPA know where and when they want to take it) I usually call PPA several weeks before for a head count to get a feeling of how many and again the beginning of the week before for a final count. The exams are sent by FedEx to me that I have them around mid week.

I am not sure if I have an up to date list but on the list I have Cathy L. Benton is listed as liaison for Virginia // 757-484-1777 . It's a big state so I don't think two would be a problem. We have two here in Pa. and the other guy gives the exams in the Pittsburgh area. Besides contacting PPA, maybe you could call her.

Please let me know if you become one.

Liz_Vance
04-13-2007, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the info, Craig! I am very involved in the state association, and I know Cathy very well (she's one of my mentors, actually!) She's down at the other end of the state, so hopefully they could use someone up this way. I like the idea of getting some service merits... :)

Liz

D._Craig_Flory
04-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the acknowledgement D.Craig!

As you can see, Howard and I are tremendously popular.:cool:

Do you know whose chain I need to yank to get a copy for my memoir.

Hi David;

I copied it, took it into Word, and then saved it as a .psd file. Enjoy;

David_A._Lottes
04-14-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks D.Craig
My publicist will be glad to have the hard copy for my curriculum vita.:cool:

Vaughn_Monigold
04-14-2007, 02:56 PM
Hey Craig, what newsletter are you talking about? I'm CPP but don't remember getting one.... is this another secret society ;) ?

Craig, is this newsletter something mailed out or emailed out by PPA?

I've been certified since 1987 and now in the process of gathering photographs for submittal to be recertified. But I've never received a certification newsletter.

Hopefully, everyone who is certified is using the CPP logo on printed pieces, ie. brochures, business cards, letterhead, advertising, etc.

And anyone who is NOT certified will contact their CPP liaison and start the process. Some good study materials are available. I've heard of some local guilds that have formed a study group and boned up for the exam together.

-- Vaughn Monigold, CPP

D._Craig_Flory
04-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi Vaughn;

As I posted Friday morning ... it is a newsletter e-mailed out to those of us who are certification liaisons.

D._Craig_Flory
04-14-2007, 03:06 PM
[QUOTE=Vaughn Monigold;72046]Craig, is this newsletter something mailed out or emailed out by PPA?

I've been certified since 1987 and now in the process of gathering photographs for submittal to be recertified.

I have been certified since 1986 myself. The last time I recertified I simply provided information of 50 hours, or more, of classes and seminars I had attended over the five years. I belong to my state association and attend 10 days of seminars every year so it is easy.

Howard_Kier
04-15-2007, 06:21 AM
Thank-you for the recognition. I'll be signing autographs at Tampa in the Hyatt lobby on Saturday.

I do have to say, that was fast. I had only sent the copy to David at PPA on Thursday. In case you are wondering, he had seen some comments I had made on this forum about certification and asked to have a testimonial for PPA's use. According to David, the testimonial will be used in a couple of other pieces within the next couple of months.

Jennifer_Brum
04-15-2007, 11:00 PM
You all have inspired me to add an article on my new blog regarding the importance of hiring a CPP.

http://jenbrumphotography.wordpress.com/2007/04/

Thanks for the reminder!

Vaughn_Monigold
04-16-2007, 03:06 AM
[QUOTE=Vaughn Monigold;72046]Craig, is this newsletter something mailed out or emailed out by PPA?

I've been certified since 1987 and now in the process of gathering photographs for submittal to be recertified.

I have been certified since 1986 myself. The last time I recertified I simply provided information of 50 hours, or more, of classes and seminars I had attended over the five years. I belong to my state association and attend 10 days of seminars every year so it is easy.

Five years ago I had to certify for hours of instruction but still submitted 9x10 prints (10 I think) for judging. Are prints still required or has it changed? I received my recertification information but haven't read it yet.

-- Vaughn

D._Craig_Flory
04-16-2007, 01:48 PM
Hi Vaughn;

If you attend enough programs and seminars you don't need to submit prints. Since I give the C.P.P. Exam at state meetings, and am security chairman, I am at every meeting and all 10 days a year. All officers know me and can verify my attendance.

I recommend that you always get verification or any and all classes and seminars you attend.

donnyk
05-06-2007, 01:30 AM
CPP certification is not available overseas :(

D._Craig_Flory
05-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Hi Donny;

I would suggest that you contact the PPA Certification section and ask how it might happen for Indonesia.

You need to go in and either add your last name in your avatar OR have your last name as a signature that shows up at the bottom of all your posts.