PDA

View Full Version : CC Please?????

Jeff_Dachowski
04-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I can submit 5 of these images. Which 5? Also any thoughts are alos appreciated. Thanks very much.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/dachowski/Reesecopy.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/dachowski/Kayakdeathvalley.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/dachowski/Jennylevel10.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/dachowski/hampton.jpg

Thanks! Jeff

Jeff_Dachowski
04-09-2007, 08:18 PM
two more....

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/dachowski/griffin.jpg

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p179/dachowski/coolkids2.jpg

Thanks!
Jeff

Derek_Alvarez
04-09-2007, 08:28 PM
#1 yes on the Sky and rocks

#2 No on the Bride I like the image but it seems overworked for comp!

#3 yeppy I like the feeling of this landscape (B&W)

#4 Oh yeah on (Baby standing)

#5 Maybe I like the image, but I don't care for the crop/tilt and Maybe go Blue Tones! (Street scape)

#6 no, It seems like a cliche imho:) (Baby in Hands)

Ron_Jackson
04-09-2007, 08:53 PM
Jeff it's all very nice. My least favorite is the black and white of Death Valley. I would like it more if the sky were much darker ala Ansel Adams. I would like it even more if that lone figure were a little closer. The others are all very nice. The color sky and water is beautiful and would be more spectacular if you would remove those buildings on the left.

Okay, I've said enough. I actually like them all. What do I know?
Ron

John_Throneburg
04-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Nice work. My favorites are 1 and 3. I would prefer a little more room over the babies head, I think.

Marc_Benjamin
04-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey Jeff,

I like Kayak Death Valley the most, sorry but others are ok but I feel that they are not as strong. Got anything else?

Good luck.

Auralee_Dallas
04-09-2007, 09:56 PM
Lovely work--what a decision! My least favorite for competition is the 3 young people under the freeway. That one bright light on the left is the brightest part of the image. But totally cool for selling.
Love, love, love the chubby baby.
Death Valley-pump up a bit--figure is a bit tiny and head blends in to dark area.
Bride--yes skin loses texture on cheeks under eyes. Do you have Portraiture for retouching?
Beach, rocks, sky--awesome image. horizon goes pretty much through middle.
Newborn. Exquisite image. I love it.
I just watched those videos of the SEPPA competition. The babies and maternity stuff didn't do too well--probably see too many of them to have impact but it's beautiful. I would enter it if it were mine.
Disclaimer--no judging qualifications, just frequent print comp entrant.

D._Craig_Flory
04-09-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi Jeff;

If you could only submit four, I would go with 1, 3, 4, and 5. But since you can enter 5, I'd add #2 also.

The bride image is exquisite. I like the child image. The Sunset looks like it is made of metal ... very nice. The Death Valley photo is nice as well. The Father & Child is ok. I don't like the street candid at all.

The white accent line is too bold. I would tone it down ... make it as skinny as possible while still being able to see it. And I would make it a tone picked from the image.

Linda_Gregory
04-10-2007, 12:47 AM
Nice work!

Derek, I can't keep track of which ones you're talking about but if Jeff can, that's what counts.

I love the first standing baby but the hairline looks smooth. I would like it if the arm over the top was toned down some or just eliminated.

The bride does look awfully smooth but her upper lipline could be smoothed a little and will the judges go bonkers for the lace going into the corner of her eye and mouth?

The father kissing the baby, tone down the dad's fingertips some

Boy, am I full of 'it' or what? I'll stop now and listen to what others have to say.

Dan_Leary
04-10-2007, 01:02 AM
Hi Jeff,
If I had to discard one, it would be the kids under the bridge. I love them all, but that would be my choice for a discard.

KirkDarling
04-10-2007, 01:54 AM
I don't feel real comfortable providing critiques at the moment, but I'll give this a go.

I like the standing baby a lot. The lighting and tones are just right. The moment is right. I enjoy looking at it. The only problem is the baby's left hand, which is kind of dismembered, but I'd leave it alone. This is one to submit with a good title.

I like the shore sunset. I think the sky could be maybe 3/4 stop darker. This has been done before, but this is a good example. It should be matted in the very center of its mount. The title may be crucial with this one to separate it from others.

I'm not crazy about the work done on the bride's skin--too smooth and flattened for my tastes. However, I like everything else about it, so with a bit less Photoshop I'd be very happy with it.

The father and baby is nice, I like it, but I think it's been done, too. This is a very nice example.

The blank and white scene starts to be entrancing, although as mentioned, I'd like the sky darkened. But the figure in the distance catches your eye and becomes annoying because it can't be made out as well as the eye would like. It needs something there, but the figure doesn't work for me.

The street scene is the weakest. It's commercial, but it doesn't do anything for me.

Jeff_Dachowski
04-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Derek,
Thanks very much. I am not sure I follow your numbering. You are saying take out the baby and dad?

Ron,
Thanks!

John,
I am conisdering the space above baby!

Marc,
I got nothing else.....:(

Auralee,
Thanks, I used the kodak gem software for her face. I do also have portraiture now though.

Craig, Thanks very much!

Linda,
Glad to know I wasn't the only one not getting Derek's post.:) Thanks for your input.

Dan,
you are in very good company with your advice.

Kirk,
The hand is now gone. The title will probably be " She's got legs" You are more than qualified to give me your opnion. I agree with a lot of what you said.

Thanks everyone!

Ron_Jackson
04-10-2007, 06:17 PM
Jeff since everyone seems to like the Death Valley one, except that lone figure needs to be more prominent, just go reshoot it and move the firgure a little more forward. Also use a polarizing filter coupled with a 25A Red filter to really darken the sky and make the coulds stand out. Piece of cake huh?!

Derek_Alvarez
04-10-2007, 06:24 PM
#1 yes on the Sky and rocks

#2 No on the Bride I like the image but it seems overworked for comp!

#3 yeppy I like the feeling of this landscape (B&W)

#4 Oh yeah on (Baby standing)

#5 Maybe I like the image, but I don't care for the crop/tilt and Maybe go Blue Tones! (Street scape)

#6 no, It seems like a cliche imho:) (Baby in Hands)

I hope this help!

I put Yes or no on each image
starting with the color landscape

Jeff_Dachowski
04-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Derek,
Thanks very much. I think you were working backwards from the reply window, where if you are in read mode it goes in the other order. Thanks very much!

Jeff_Dachowski
04-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Jeff since everyone seems to like the Death Valley one, except that lone figure needs to be more prominent, just go reshoot it and move the firgure a little more forward. Also use a polarizing filter coupled with a 25A Red filter to really darken the sky and make the coulds stand out. Piece of cake huh?!

Hi ROn,
Great suggestion. At the next 100 Year flood in Death Valley, I will make sure to get out there, and get closer to the kayaker, without actually disturbing the water, Levitation should be a doable luxury by then. Maybe I will use a tripod, and not handhold it at a 30th. :)

Jeff

Ron_Jackson
04-10-2007, 08:51 PM
Jeff just take me with you. I am also a magician and I can do levitation. It should be a "snap" shot. Just let me know when that flood has the water high enough and we will head over there.

Ralph_Petty
04-11-2007, 03:29 AM
I like 2 the symetery of the moutains is nice, 3 the look in the bride's eyes is nice but the skin is too plastic looking, 4 is nice but add more blue, 5 is a big yes! It make me wish my son was that size again!

Stephanie_Millner
04-11-2007, 04:33 AM
I know I don't have a lot of neat letters after my name, but... Jeff - I saw that picture of the baby by the table and actually gasped at how beautiful it was! Simply gorgeous!

MaryAnn_Talamo
04-15-2007, 02:53 AM
I'm no expert at print critique, but for what it's worth...I absolutely loved the baby standing picture - I think it's breathtaking!
I agree with most of the assessments of the other images - really nice work regardless of the these little things here and there (easily corrected with more post processing).
I also don't care for the image of three kids.

Jeff_Dachowski
04-16-2007, 12:31 PM
Ralph, Stephanie, Mary Ann,
Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it. I will let you know what the judges thought.
Jeff

Don_Chick
04-16-2007, 10:00 PM
I can do levitation.

Ron,

I heard you could already walk on water, is that true?

Dan_Leary
04-17-2007, 03:20 AM
Ron,

I heard you could already walk on water, is that true?

Of course not...why would he want to stick his dirty feet into something he's going to turn to wine and drink later on?

Ron_Jackson
04-17-2007, 03:58 AM
Ha Ha! Funny!

I will clarify. I am a life member of the Magic Castle in Hollywood. It is the clubhouse for magicians from all over the world. To become a member, you have to audtion in front of a group of professional peers. I do know how to levitate. I don't know how to take pictures very well, but I can do a few magic tricks. Go ahead, pick a card. :)

By the way.....what does all this have to do with this thread? Sorry about the hijack. Back on track.

Linda_Gregory
04-24-2007, 06:59 PM
So, was it these five and an album? We were wrong?!? about a few of them?

SO proud! Like I had anything to do with it but hey! We get our kicks where we can!

Am waiting to get my glasses in person. :)

StaceyDamon
04-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Ohhh I hope that baby with the chunka legs scored...she is soo cute and the expression and lighting is beautiful. I also love the black and white scenic one! I hope you let us know which ones!! Congrats again!

Jeff_Dachowski
04-24-2007, 08:28 PM
Ok,
So from memory here it goes. The ocean scene scored an 81, the kayak in death valley scored an 85, she's got legs scored and 80, brothers in arms, scored an 81, I take you Andrew scored an 80, Seaside romance ( album scored an 80.

I got a 6 for 6
brothers in Arms scored a Court of Honor Portrait award, ( Kind of like portrait of the year)
The album won for album of the year, and it also won a kodak gallery award.
Three of y 4 folios scored an 80, and the senior folio won for folio of the year. Thanks to everyone for all of your well wishes and support!!!
Jeff

Ron_Jackson
04-25-2007, 01:26 AM
Jeff, you are the man! I am so proud and happy for you. Please disregard and comments I ever made about any of your work that I might have had a negative comment about. I bow to you now. Congratulations.
Ron

Jeff_Dachowski
04-25-2007, 01:35 AM
Ron,
Did you know that the kayker was mentioned? One of the judges said, I would score this a lot higher if there was no kayaker there. Isn't that funny?
Jeff

Ron_Jackson
04-25-2007, 03:28 AM
Wow. That is funny. Well, I never said it wasn't a great image. I loved it from the moment I saw it. It's all subjective and we all have different thoughts on how to finish an image. You did great Jeff and I am so glad for you. I always pull for nice guys anyway and you are certainly that. :)
Ron

Mark_Levesque
04-25-2007, 03:50 AM
I always pull for nice guys anyway and you are certainly that.
You have no idea. He's the bomb. His success this year couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Joy_Strotz
05-09-2007, 05:31 AM
This may be coming a bit late, but I vote for the first five. One, three & five are my favorites - six my least fave. Best 'o luck!

Jeff_Dachowski
05-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi Joy,
THanks for your thoughts! Welcome to the forum. Hope to see more of you around here.
Jeff