PDA

View Full Version : PPA Print Competition Viewable ONLINE

Mark_McCall
04-06-2007, 03:52 PM
Watch a PPA Print Competition ONLINE!

As webmaster for my regional affiliate, SWPPA, we thought it would be cool to put the print judging online for the benefit of photographers who sent prints in, but didn't attend the convention, OR for photographers who were there but didn't want to miss programming.

This all started over a cocktail napkin two years ago between myself and Mike Scalf, Executive Director of SWPPA. This year, we made it a reality.
The video is from the SWPPA Affiliate Judging at the TPPA Convention, Arlington, Tx., March 3-4, 2007.

To view the video, go to www.swppa.com, click on the video window in the lower right hand portion of the screen.
The video is broken down in hourly increments to make downloading a breeze, but please allow time to load when a link is clicked.

It may appear the judges are flying through the judging, but please remember that all dead time has been edited out, even the time waiting for judges to assess each image. This helped in reducing file size.

LaurieMire
04-13-2007, 07:49 PM
Mark,
SWPPA was my first print competition and it was overwhelming and thrilling at the same time. When my first print went up I was so nervous I didn't hear a word the judges said other than my score....81. So, thank you I have been able to go back and hear the critiques and praise.

D._Craig_Flory
04-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi Laurie;

Congratulations !!! The first time you get a score, over 80, it makes your heart skip a beat and a big grin ensues. Now build on that. Start a puter' file folder for potential competition images. By the time you are again ready to prepare & have competition prints done you will have a bunch and you can narrow down to the very best. It's sort of like having your first ice cream. Once you get a taste of blue ribbons / 80+ merits you want more.

Mark_McCall
04-13-2007, 09:47 PM
Your mighty welcome Laurie.
We were the first PPA Affiliate to put the judging online. Now that other affiliates see it's possible, maybe they'll follow suite.

Craig's right.
Nothing gets you excited about print competitions like getting your first 80.

Beware of the sophmore letdown. Most of the folks I know went 0 for 4 in their 2nd print competion. Including ME! LOL.

Auralee_Dallas
04-13-2007, 10:24 PM
I'm not in your area, but I watched some of the videos. That is the coolest ever!!! I'm sure it was a lot of work, but it sure is great to see all the work. At PPC, we can buy a DVD, but it only has on it the prints from makers who agree to be on the DVD and buy it as well. The good thing about it is that you get to hear all the judging comments, not only the challenges.
Super idea, hope California will follow. I think this generates a lot of interest in print comp.

PS: Mark, Same thing happened to me--2 merits the first year, none the second, then 2 again the third. PPA Nationals that is.