PDA

View Full Version : How did you do at HOA?

Jeff_Dachowski
04-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Anyone care to let us know how they did at Heart of America?
Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
04-02-2007, 03:31 AM
Hi all, We are still here at HOA. I had all 4 merit. Keith

Keith_A_Howe
04-02-2007, 03:32 AM
I know a couple of others results but I will let them have the priviledge of telling their news. Keith

DianeDavis
04-02-2007, 03:56 AM
Congrats Keith!!

Valerie_Harte
04-02-2007, 08:12 PM
Yeah Keith! Should I pretend to be surprised? :-) Congratulations!

D._Craig_Flory
04-02-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi Keith;

I guess it's old hat for you. Anyhow ... congratulations. When you send them to PPA, will that give you enough for another bar on your Masters ? Pretty soon you will need a neck brace to hold it up from the weight of your danglies'. :p

Keith_A_Howe
04-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Actually - I am pretty happy! I have been lucky to hang all four prints several times - but not in the last three years since they have been giving out the POTY pins. Last year my fourth print got a 79 at regional with no discussion - that's frustrating!. But thanks for bringing this topic up cause it lets me talk about something I think is important. Before you get your Master's the goal is usually to enter what you feel will merit. Once I got mine - I started setting new goals - like hanging a commercial print, meriting a studio head and shoulders or - for the last 4 years to hang four outta one case! I think if you set those goals for yourself, it forces you to stretch and keep growing. I have two master friends in my state that have gotten together and made up four titles - the same 4 for both of them. Then they go out and create images to fit those titles. It was fun to see the different interpatations. A couple titles I remember were "Missed by the Zen Stick" and "My Second Biggest Regret".

Keith

D._Craig_Flory
04-03-2007, 02:32 PM
Hi Keith;

I can't remember his name but ... the photographer who used to be in charge of the Loan Collection Books. (I think he was in Canada)

He did a book on outhouses. It is fun to have a theme and then create images towards that end. When I went through Air Force Combat Photography School, one assignment we had was to photograph energy and another was doors ... all types, shapes, and sizes.

Jeff_Dachowski
04-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Hi Keith;

I went through Air Force Combat Photography School, one assignment

So Craig,
Can you tell us some of the photographic combat techniques you learned?:)

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
04-03-2007, 08:27 PM
scores...

Sunday Morning = 85
San Francisco Girl = 73
Illumination = 77
Approaching Poise = 74

Great experience observing the judging.

D._Craig_Flory
04-03-2007, 08:48 PM
So Craig,
Can you tell us some of the photographic combat techniques you learned?:)

Hi Jeff;

It was actually a photojournalism course. Each morning we got an assignment. We would come back and process the film in a Versamat. Then we would print the images and do up a story board presentation.

After I graduated from the school, I was over-qualified. I was a non commissioned officer ... Buck Sergeant and with that school I was never sent to Viet Nam. They were basically sending E-1's, E-2's, and E-3's to process film shot by the pilots on recon runs. But it did help when I did images for the base newspaper. I even had a front page spread in the San Rafael, Calif. Sunday Paper ... of some images I did of a rescue Sgt. fresh back from across the pond in the Nam'.

I got more "combat techniques" from being part time air force security police. I was qualified on the M-1 Carbine, M-2, and the M-16 every year. I was a bad a**. ;)

Cassandra_Sullivan
04-03-2007, 09:02 PM
Congrats Sue Ellen! You must be so happy with that 85! Did you post your images somewhere beforehand? I can't remember what your images looked like. I did a quick search but couldn't find them...

Auralee_Dallas
04-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Sue Ellen--was "Sunday Morning" the one with the figure at the end of the street in the snow?????
Congratulations on all.

Dan_Leary
04-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Wow Sue Ellen!!! 85!!! You must be elated! Is this your first time entering? Hold your head high... you've worked hard.

Kerri_Garrison
04-03-2007, 10:38 PM
Way to Go Sue Ellen! {hug}

Jeff_Dachowski
04-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Keith,
Great job!

Sue Ellen, an 85? Awesome!

Keith and Sue Ellen,
would either of you care to show what you entered in the actual comp images thread?

Jeff

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
04-04-2007, 01:59 AM
http://www.onesmalldog.com/

go to client gallery

enter password: hoa

Thanks, guys. I'm pretty excited. Came home and wrote about it....

Julie_Edwards
04-04-2007, 02:08 AM
Wooo hooo!

Congratulations!

Julie

Keith_A_Howe
04-04-2007, 02:55 AM
Keith and Sue Ellen,
would either of you care to show what you entered in the actual comp images thread?

Jeff

I'll post them when I get back home

Keith

Don_Chick
04-04-2007, 03:55 AM
http://www.onesmalldog.com/

go to client gallery

enter password: hoa

Thanks, guys. I'm pretty excited. Came home and wrote about it....

Sue,

Love your website's music! I let it play for about 1/2 hour or so as I waded through ourppa's threads. Thanks for sharing.

JohnHeckler
04-04-2007, 06:16 AM
Congrats Keith and Sue Ellen!

Sue, I really loved the winter scene.

Keith, can't wait to see what you entered.

Valerie_Harte
04-04-2007, 12:42 PM
Sue Ellen- loved Sunday Morning. I really liked San Francisco girl too. It really struck an emotional chord for me for some reason.

Keith.... the anticipation is Killing me. Are you there yet? LOL Yes.... I was that kid and still am.

Linda_Gregory
04-04-2007, 07:21 PM
http://members.cox.net/delanocolor/hoa/

Is where you can find my four entries and their scores. I helped with the competition by helping unpack and organize for the print comp starting Friday afternoon and the judging started Saturday morning. I was assigned to record the scores in the books and was kept hopping all day. It was great. There were times they'd spit out the scores and we were mad to stay caught up and other times they would challenge and discuss a print in depth. The two of my prints that were judged in my room were not discussed but scored and moved on fast. Sue Ellen's was discussed (Sunday Morning) and I was pretty sure it was she sitting there but not until later was I able to see her in the halls and introduce myself.

What a wild weekend. I'm tired and back at work! Now on to nationals!

Michael_Black
04-05-2007, 12:22 AM
I heard this guy named Cerizo got a 100 at HOA.

Linda_Gregory
04-05-2007, 12:33 AM
Yes, and it was well worth it. Amazing print.

When they put the gallery up, I'm sure one of us will remember to post the link. For now, it was of an agave in black and white. You could stare at it for hours and not fully appreciate it yet someone asked why?

Jeff_Dachowski
04-05-2007, 01:33 AM
I heard this guy named Cerizo got a 100 at HOA.

Michael,
Do you really not know who he is, or are you faking not knowing who he is, considering he is on another forum you are on?

Linda,
Congratulations! 2 seals. Good for you.
Jeff

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
04-05-2007, 01:39 AM
Wow - Linda!!!! I saw that Majestic Glare in competition!!!! I love your images.

And nice to meet you, too!!! I just wish I could have stayed.

Liz_Vance
04-05-2007, 02:14 AM
Yay, Sue Ellen! I loved that picture. :)

Linda_Gregory
04-05-2007, 02:22 AM
Michael,
Do you really not know who he is, or are you faking not knowing who he is, considering he is on another forum you are on?

Jeff

So, Michael, have you already seen it? Is there a link?

Michael_Black
04-05-2007, 03:57 AM
Yes I have seen it. And yes I am on the other forum. And yes I've met Michael Cerizo times: he spoke in SD last month.

The print is very cool especially if you see the evolution of the image.

Maybe we can get him to post it here.

Mike

Linda_Gregory
04-05-2007, 11:45 AM
Yes I have seen it. And yes I am on the other forum. And yes I've met Michael Cerizo times: he spoke in SD last month.

The print is very cool especially if you see the evolution of the image.

Maybe we can get him to post it here.

Mike

I would love to see the evolution and thought processes that went into it. Again, it was an amazing image and I've become a big fan. (he sat at the table behind me and had to pass by me to get his awards and I found myself wanting to touch him and hope some of his talent rubbed off!)

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
04-06-2007, 06:52 AM
Isn't Keith home yet? post... post... post... :) we want to see the Good Stuff!!!

Mark_McCall
04-06-2007, 03:08 PM
Question for you guys concerning the POTY...
I'm of the understanding you get the POTY if you hang 4 for 4 at your regional or national.
This much I know. (or tell me if I'm wrong).

This is where it gets grey for me...
If you hang 3 for 4 at your regional, then send your case to national and your 4th merits....do you still get the POTY?
(I'm asking for obvious reasons).

Marc_Benjamin
04-06-2007, 03:22 PM
If you hang 3 for 4 at your regional, then send your case to national and your 4th merits....do you still get the POTY?

Yes, that's how it works.

Keith_A_Howe
04-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Question for you guys concerning the POTY...
I'm of the understanding you get the POTY if you hang 4 for 4 at your regional or national.
This much I know. (or tell me if I'm wrong).

No - you do not get it at regional - but it qualifies you to get it from national. If you get 4 seals at a regional affliate judging - you automatically get 4 merit prints at national AS LONG AS you send them on to national. You don't send them - you don't get the merits and you don't get POTY award. The POTY is for receiveing 4 national merit prints regardless if you got seals on 1 or all at regional. It's not officially a merit print until it goes to national - before that it's pending for lack of a better word. You can send 4 unsealed prints to national and if they all merit - you recieve the POTY award. You must recieve merits on all 4 prints at national to recieve the POTY award. You can't merit 3 prints and 1 loan for 4 total merits and get the award. There is a POTY award for 4 for 4, 5 for 4, 6 for 4, 7 for 4 and the ultimate 8 for 4. Hope this helps.

Mark_McCall
04-06-2007, 03:32 PM
That's exactly what I thought....this is great news.

I actually had a 4 for 4 momentarily at regional, but one image got challenged, and talked down to a 79....DANG!!

Keith_A_Howe
04-08-2007, 04:27 PM
OK yes I'm back, taxes are to the accountant so here they are. Sorry about the watermark but once bitten.....

Alkatraz 90
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Alkatraz.jpg
It all comes down to her 82
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Itallcomesdowntoher.jpg
Don't Touch My Nuts!! 81
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/donttouchmynuts.jpg
Curtin Climber 81 Printed on Epson Watercolor paper
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/curtinclimber.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
04-08-2007, 04:35 PM
The three color images were printed on plain e surface paper. I had orginally printed them twice - once to see the difference between metalic and laminate. The laminate left a haze over the images = made you want to wipe or dust them. also shifted color a bit to cyan. The Metalic images the blacks went brown even though they were printed from the exact same file. I called the lab and rushed straight prints - no spray, laminate or F surface paper (no time to experiment as I waited to the last min.). We mounted them here and shipped the case 2nd day air to get it there in time. So the lesson learned was that I will not use laminate again. I will experiment with the glossy paper but I might go back to gloss spray. But a straight print will hang. Well off to family!

Keith

Mark_McCall
04-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Absolutely beautiful, Keith. Stunning work.

I've not had an issue with Miller's laminate myself regarding color shifting or milkiness, but I've heard some others do.
I use WHCC for most everything, a few competition prints are done at Miller's.....WHCC doesn't offer a laminate than I'm aware of.

You probably already know that copyrite is misspelled.

Keith_A_Howe
04-08-2007, 05:07 PM
yes I know it is miss spelled but I had the overlay made and posted the images by the time I remembered the spelling.
Keith

Linda_Gregory
04-08-2007, 08:49 PM
I used laminate instead of working the gloss spray and had great luck. Of course I have the luxury of overseeing all stages. Metallic is a different animal and needs a different chemical mix to get the blacks black. You had no time to get a reprint but I would expect any of our customers to send a print back they weren't happy with and give us the opportunity to make it right.

Keith, I was in the room that both Alcatraz and Don't Touch my Nuts were judged in. They both caused conversations, the squirrel one was mainly about the title..good job!

Ron_Jackson
04-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Keith these are all beautiful and deserving. I have one question, if you don't mind, would you tell us your process from shot to finish of Alcatraz? I love that scene and it is just beautiful.
Thanks for posting these. Very inspirational.
Ron

Keith_A_Howe
04-09-2007, 01:31 AM
If you are at all familar with San Fran - you probably realize this was taken from Coit (sp?) Tower - through the thick safety glass. Obviously it was raining. I kept wiping down the glass to get rid of condensation. I used a Canon 5D - auto white balance - and a 28-135 IS lens @65mm, raw files. Exposure was 1/25 F5 400 ISO. After reviewing the images - I cropped this to eliminate Fisherman's wharf and position the horizon line and Alcatraz in a pleasing composition. I adjusted the levels for the brighter competition lights and to increase the drama of the natural light as the scene appeared. I added a little saturation - maybe about 10 points. I sharpened it in PS - remember I was photographing through thick glass and rain. I took out a couple small boats to the left, the big boat wakes coming into the wharf area and a few lights on the hillside across the bay - they were distractions. I burned in the clouds in the center brighter area - to avoid looking blown out. I dodged the buildings on Alcatraz and the white rocks to add detail. It took several tries to catch the blink of the light house - at a time when a raindrop wasn't hitting the window right in front of my lens. As far as presentation - just added a simple border of black - from the darkest spot in the print so it wouldn't be blacker than anything in the image. I stroked it with a lighter blue taken from the water I think. The stroke is 3 pixels - very subtle. The hardest part of this image was the title. I liked this print because of the story - I imagined an inmate looking out a window - contrasting the doom and gloom of a lifetime incarcerated on Alcatraz and seeing the unreachable light of freedom across the bay. But how to say that in a short title? I ended up just calling it Alcatraz and luckily two of the judges picked up on it. I knew I liked Micheal Timmons and Jon Allyn for a reason! Thanks guys!

As far as why I made the choices I did - I didn't think it through or reason it out. When you have been entering and judging as long as I have - some stuff you just do without thinking. I knew this was a competition image when I took it. I am sorry if that comes off as arrogant - I don't mean it that way - but just like you don't have to think about where each finger goes when you are typing - you get to a point where knowing what to do to an image for competition seems instinctual. That instinct crosses over into your every day client work - so competition does make you a better photographer. By the way the two portraits I entered this year are straight from client sessions. I wasn't planning on competition when I created either of them.

Here is the original image for you to compare.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Alcatrazoriginal.jpg

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
04-09-2007, 01:43 AM
Keith,

Thank you so much for sharing; "Curtain Climber" is my personal favorite - so soft, and yet every detail there. I love it.

I actually got to see three of your prints being judged (but didn't know it at the time); I find the discussion judges have about prints to be highly instructive as well as very very motivating.

se

p.s. (smile) my san fran pic only got a 73....

Ron_Jackson
04-09-2007, 02:55 AM
Thanks Keith. I knew that had to be Coit tower. Been there many times and have slides in the archives taken through that same thick glass. I didn't have the good fortune to have the wonderful gloomy day you had that created this beautiful image.

Thanks again for sharing your comments on this.
Ron

Lori_Clapp
04-09-2007, 05:36 AM
Keith, thanks for posting those - it's always nice when you post images - we don't get to see enough of your work!

You - arrogant? Don't worry - we all know you better than that!

Hey, curtain climber isn't from that madonna session I got see is it?

Congratulations, and thanks again for sharing!

Lori_Clapp
04-09-2007, 05:46 AM
I just went back and read this whole thread - Sue Ellen and Linda - great images! Linda, i love how you presented the Lion - that looks great! And Sue Ellen, perfect title on "Sunday Morning"!!

Congrats to all three of you!

Keith_A_Howe
04-09-2007, 01:36 PM
Hey, curtain climber isn't from that madonna session I got see is it?

Bingo!
I forgot you were here for that session.
Keith

JohnHeckler
04-09-2007, 04:01 PM
Great stuff Keith, thanks for sharing. I also very much enjoyed reading about how you created the one Alcatraz image. Your willingness to share like that is awesome and much appreciated, especially the level of details in which you were willing to take the time to remember and share here.

Great images and again, thanks for sharing all the details!