PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh, The Hail Mary print case

Marc_Benjamin
03-23-2007, 05:02 PM
Hello Friends,

I must confess, I sent a Hail Mary print case (not JUST the container but with a collection of 4 prints) to my regionals (scarry) mostly out of poor planing and no execution and party (very small part) because I'm kinnda low on print comp funds right now!

It was just too hard having a case at WPPI, State and Regionals all right about the same time.

So anyways, I sent merit images that I had from previous local comps just to see if anything sticks. I do have the "intention" of actually working on the real case for nationals ahhh maybe sometime in May.

Anybody feel me on this? Anybody else want to confess and share your "excuses"? Any advice to noobies about the good ol Hail Mary case? Is there a point when one should stop sending in what they think a weak case is just so that people wont remember their low scores?

David_A._Lottes
03-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Is there a point when one should stop sending in what they think a weak case is just so that people wont remember their low scores?

No way Dude!
I sent one print back three times before it got a seal. Merits is merits.;)

Ron_Jackson
03-23-2007, 05:33 PM
So tell me. Is there a specific case and what's the difference. Do you get judged on your case?

Marc_Benjamin
03-23-2007, 05:36 PM
Hey Ron,

No, case meaning a collection of 4 prints. Not the actual case as in container though I'm sure I could get high score on a case (container) if it were to be scored. I have a kindda new 20x24 Tenba w/ the PPA logo embroidered on the front.

Ha ha :)

David_A._Lottes
03-23-2007, 05:44 PM
The "case" is just the thing you send your prints in. It's shorthand for My prints I sent to judging. At a regional print competition your allowed up to four prints in a case. Some times people will only send one two or three because they don't think they have four that have a good chance of earning a merit. I recommend always putting four prints in a case. Of my eight merits two came from prints that I didn't think would merit at national or regional because they didn't score 80 or above at local competitions. The one I sent three times scored 81 at a local but took three trips to national to finally get a merit. This is that grey area between 78-81. Many prints with 78-79 at local still have a chance with a different panel of judges and many 80-81 prints might not make it with another panel of judges. That's why the 78-81 prints are automatically reviewed, if a print scores 82 or above it's a pretty safe bet at any competition.

Marc_Benjamin
03-23-2007, 05:46 PM
So David was the three peat the same print or did you keep making a new one every year?

David_A._Lottes
03-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Same print, I got lucky and it came back in good shape every year. I have remade prints based on comments at local judgings and it did make a difference. I had one print that scored a 77, I think. Croped differently it got a merit at national. This was one of the unexpected merits I mentioned. Definetly don't give up on a print if you believe in it. Just keep hoping it will find a panel that shares your vision.

Heather_L._Smith
03-23-2007, 05:56 PM
THAT's my problem... I just haven't found the right set of judges who share my same 'vision' (laughs out loud).

Sometimes I feel like every case is a Hail Mary case. Let's throw it all on the wall and see what sticks!! Although, I've got some 79's sitting in a case that, if I really felt inclined, could probably squeek through a few more points if I snazzy'd them up a bit.

David_A._Lottes
03-23-2007, 06:01 PM
You'd be surprised Heather,
Back when they still gave scores at national, I had a print score a 96 at a local and it got an 80 at national.

My other surprise merit came from a print that scored a 78 at state, I didn't change a thing about it. I just put my four highest scores from state into my national case and that one stuck to the wall. :)

Linda_Gregory
03-23-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm full of angst right now trying to get MY case filled for HOA next weekend. I have one print from last year that got the dreaded 79....should I or shouldn't I---it will have to be reprinted because of deep scratches in the laminate.

I have had a mantra today...."I AM a good photographer" I AM a good photographer"

I am, I just am a harsh judge. That, and last year I had such fun entries and knew nothing of what comp expectations really were. Now with two merits and lots of studying, all my stuff falls short in my estimation.

Once everything is printed, I'll start to have fun again!

So Marc, send 'em in. I'm hoping I'll get the Loan book as well as the Showcase book next year (one in the showcase book, none in Loan this year)

Marc_Benjamin
03-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Hey Linda,

You've got no excuse for sending in a Hail Mary case (BTW, I got dibs on this term ;)) cause you got's your own lab.

Good luck on your regionals!

Ron_Jackson
03-23-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the info. When you said hail Mary case, I'm thinking obviously you are talking about the container. My problem would be that I have 80 to 90 prints that I think would merit so should I send them all but at four per case? I'm kidding. We all know I'm not competeing but I will gladly cheerlead the rest of you in doing so.
Ron

Marc_Benjamin
03-23-2007, 06:30 PM
I will gladly cheerlead the rest of you in doing so.
Ron

Thanks Ron, I'm gonna need all the possitive vibes I can get for this one.

D._Craig_Flory
03-23-2007, 07:12 PM
Thanks Ron, I'm gonna need all the possitive vibes I can get for this one.

Hi Marc;

Living in the Bay Area, you should know that what you need is a lot of good karma. Go to Haight Ashbury and get some good 60's vibes from there and maybe Golden Gate Park. Help a little old lady across the street. Make a donation somewhere. The more karma, the better your chances. ;)

With that said, I will agree with what has already been said. Always enter 4 prints. And know that an image you feel strongly about may do poorly but a "throw in" may get an 80. You just never know so always send the max amount you are allowed.

Linda_Gregory
03-23-2007, 08:03 PM
But Marc, I've got to work on others, too and by the time it comes to mine, I can't make a decision!

Keith_A_Howe
03-24-2007, 04:01 AM
I'm full of angst right now trying to get MY case filled for HOA next weekend. I have one print from last year that got the dreaded 79....should I or shouldn't I---it will have to be reprinted because of deep scratches in the laminate.

I have had a mantra today...."I AM a good photographer" I AM a good photographer"

I am, I just am a harsh judge. That, and last year I had such fun entries and knew nothing of what comp expectations really were. Now with two merits and lots of studying, all my stuff falls short in my estimation.

Once everything is printed, I'll start to have fun again!

But Marc, I've got to work on others, too and by the time it comes to mine, I can't make a decision!

Linda I always feel like this. When I start trying to pick images - they all look so so. After all I've seen them before. Then I narrow it down and start to work on them. At this stage I start to believe they are merits in the bag as I keep tweeking them. By the time I decide I am finished with them and it is time to send them to the lab I am back to hateing them. They come in from the lab (at the last min.) and are they good enough? When they are going into the case I have talked my self in to loving them again. Then when I get to the judging and see other images I know my images are going to s... ah fall short. I call this the love hate relationship with competition.
Linda I believe in you. I have seen your images. You are a good photographer! We will just see if the judges are any good at HOA. lol Keith

Dave_Cisco
03-24-2007, 04:52 AM
No way Dude!
I sent one print back three times before it got a seal. Merits is merits.;)

I didn't think an image could be competed twice....something had to be changed for second and subsequent submitals.

Marc_Benjamin
03-24-2007, 05:23 AM
They come in from the lab (at the last min.)

So over the years, how much do you think you've spent on 2 day or overnight shipping?

Sad but I've shipped either 2 day or overnight for the last 4 competitions. This last one cost me about $75 for next day! :(:(

David_A._Lottes
03-24-2007, 11:05 AM
I didn't think an image could be competed twice....something had to be changed for second and subsequent submitals.

Hi Dave
As long as it hasn't already earned a merit you can keep sending it. I'm thinking of sending some prints this summer that are over ten years old just to fill my case. It will be fun to see if a 79 in 97 is still a 79 in 07. I have a couple that are still in good shape and I don't have four strong ones to send so what the heck. I wish I could be there to hear the judges comments. One of them has the "texture screen" applied to it. Crosshatch pattern, I think? Bet they haven't seen that in quite a while.

Sorry for the confusion. Once a print has earned a merit do not resubmit it.

Jim_Lersch
03-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Marc,

Bottom line (and I say this in my book) - if you wait until the last minute, you'll get what you deserve. You have to change the way you shoot too. If you go through each day shooting just for the money, you'll have "green" merits galore but if you're passionate about photography like I am, then you have to go into each assignment with a post-it-note on your camera that reminds you to shoot for 101 points, EVERY TIME. I even suggest that you put one on your bathroom mirror so that you see it each morning before going to work. If you do, it'll change the way you see/feel/shoot and the judges WILL see it in your entries.

Linda, that goes for you too. Also, you can always email me a few low-res images to look at. I do that for a few others that I know. I've done a lot of judging and look at them like a judge. Also, refer to the 12 Elements of a Merit Photograph listed below EVERY TIME you enter:

http://www.lerschphoto.com/ourppa/Elements.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
03-24-2007, 01:21 PM
So over the years, how much do you think you've spent on 2 day or overnight shipping?

:(:(

Well . . . I will be sending next day air again this year. My prints came in yesterday - in plenty of time for regular shipping on Monday - BUT!!!! I made the big mistake of trying some on metallic paper and saw extreme color shift - all the blacks were muddy brown and I know it wasn't lab error cause I also had the exact same file printed on e surface. But the prints on e surface - I had them laminated. That was a big mistake! The laminated prints look like they need a good dusting - there is a haze over them and they have shifted to blue. I thought we had the lamination issue solved but apparently not and I won't be laminating prints for competition any more. So they are all being reprinted. We'll see if no lamination and no spray (don't have time) hurts me.

But I kinda figure if you factor in the times I have had a friend on print crew hand carry our cases (hand carried my case to Jim Dingwell for National last year) and all the times I have shipped air and average it out - it probably comes to about what I would have paid, had they all been regular shipping. Education costs - one way or the other. (I havre regular UPOS pick up at the studio - so the next day air charges are lumped in with the monthly bill. I don't look at the seperate charge for air. I don't wanna know!)

Ron_Jackson
03-24-2007, 02:08 PM
I have a couple of more very curious qustions.

I keep reading about these "print cases" and they hold four images. Would you mind giving some details regarding the actual cases such as , what do they physically look like, where do you get them, how are the prints actually placed inside (back-t0-back or separated by some cushion) and how exactly do you ship these cases? Do you put stamps on the case or does the case then have to go inside another box for shipping. And of course, how is this all returned back to you along with your four blue ribbons?

Ron_Jackson
03-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Nex question and it relates to something Keith said. All the comp print boards are 16x20 either portrait or landscape mode.

What is this about spray or lamination? I understand spray for UV protection but I can see that it could easily scratch if handled very much. If you are talking about spray for a glossy look, then aren't there papers that will do that without spray? And, do all entries need to be glossy instead of matte or some other finish?

I guess what I am saying is, now that you have selected your image for competition and are ready to send it to the lab, tell us the very steps and alternatives from the moment it goes to the lab right up to the point you are loading your case.
Thanks once again,
Ron

David_A._Lottes
03-24-2007, 02:29 PM
Hi Ron
Here is what a print case looks like.

http://www.shop.com/op/~Adorama_Camera-c-v228214-d1186226

You just slap a shipping label on it and it goes. The prints are separated by a cushion or sheets of tissue.

The spray is mainly for the gloss finish. It was more important in the film days when prints were art worked. The spray gave it a uniform finish. Now that everything is done digitally you can get away with a gloss finish paper.

Yes, your print will possibly get beat up in the process. That's the nature of the beast. If you want to keep a print in perfect condition you need to make two copies. One for entry and one for yourself.

I really hope Keith gets back to you on the process he goes through. I'd love to prep my own files and then just order a 16x20 custom print on competition mount board.

Linda_Gregory
03-24-2007, 02:37 PM
Ron,

I'm going to leave your questions to others who have done it more than once. I honestly let the packing of my case go to my staff who do this all week long.

Keith, Metallic is a different animal when trying to manage color. We offer it now as of last November but it's tricky and our customers who use it know it will never match e surface prints. The whites will never be white and the chemistry has to be 'dinked' with to get the Dmax (black point) correct.

As for your laminate, did they ship it to you with the film on? Ours has a slight layer of protective film that must be removed before presentation. Once it's off, it will scratch easier but you can't leave it for the print crew to have to do so we remove it and ship it packed with a soft cloth between.

When we laminate for customers, we leave it on and let them remove it at the last moment.

I'm hand delivering my and a few other cases this year, sorry, you're not on my way!

Thanks also for the pumping I needed, I know I'm not unique in my vacillation of good or bad but in the throes of this thing, it's nice to hear about others you admire going through the same emotions. You and Holly have been wonderfully supportive and helpful! I'd never want to let you down by sending a half filled case!

Keith_A_Howe
03-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Keith, Metallic is a different animal when trying to manage color. We offer it now as of last November but it's tricky and our customers who use it know it will never match e surface prints. The whites will never be white and the chemistry has to be 'dinked' with to get the Dmax (black point) correct.

Linda - didn't mean to imply I thought it should match exactly - I know that obviously won't happen with two different papers. Sorry if I was misleading in my intent. I was trying to share my experience so if anyone else was waffling between metallic and e surface they would have that info to help them decide. Also the laminate - yes the film is removed. I am bringing these laminated prints with me to show my lab - Catch up to me and I will show them to you also. It's just bad. This is twice I have had the same laminate issues with comp prints - I aint gonna do it again. What's that old saying - fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me?
Keith

Keith_A_Howe
03-24-2007, 04:30 PM
If you are talking about spray for a glossy look, then aren't there papers that will do that without spray? And, do all entries need to be glossy instead of matte or some other finish?

Think about a brand new car - is it more attractive with a glossy paint job - or after a few years when that Florida salt air has changed it to a matte finish? Yes there are glossy papers - but most labs use e surface and I like glossier then that. I have entered a few images on watercolor paper - so matte finish - soft arty look. Again - what perpetuates the idea you are trying to portrayl? Most times though the glossier the better. Colors look more saturated - detail looks crisper - just more "pop"

I guess what I am saying is, now that you have selected your image for competition and are ready to send it to the lab, tell us the very steps and alternatives from the moment it goes to the lab right up to the point you are loading your case.
Thanks once again,
Ron I work up all my images in photo shop - I adjust density and color balance - do whatever artwork I think enhances the image but doesn't look obvious. (As far as how to know what artwork to do - well at the risk of sounding cocky - I been doing this for 30 years. The more you have seen, the more you look at other excellant images - the more you just "know" what to do.) I send it to the lab and ask for mounting on black sintra (unless it's a high key print - then white board) When it comes back I fill out my forms, write my check, put the prints in the case with a layer of black felt between them. Close the case - slap on a shipping label, send them off and pray. Alternatives - too many to count. Ask me if you are wondering about something specific.

I really hope Keith gets back to you on the process he goes through. I'd love to prep my own files and then just order a 16x20 custom print on competition mount board.
I don't order a custom print. It's just a straight cheap print - actually my lab has a big print special going on now. No need for custom with digital - all the burning, dodging, density, color etc is done to the file before I send it. What I get back is what I send in so why pay for custom printing? (Unless I screw up and ask for metallic or laminate!) Unless you are still film based? then nothing wrong with that - you just don't have as much control. Or are you having the lab do all your PS work? Just adjust your density 20 -25% deeper than norm - to allow for the intensity of judging lights.

Keith

Marc_Benjamin
03-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Speaking of finishes, any of you guys ever done the "I just printed it out of my Epson" on the 11th hour? knowing that it's for sure to score better if you just enough time to send it out and had gotten that super duper shine?

Ron_Jackson
03-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Keith thanks for the explanation. Yes I do understand you get more "pop" the glossier the finish. I just didn't know if there was a requirement that every print had to be super glossy or if you had choices. Again, getting away from competition and back to reality, how many of us ever sell a super glossy print to a client? But I am realizing that competition and reality are two completely different worlds.

Keith_A_Howe
03-24-2007, 05:41 PM
But I am realizing that competition and reality are two completely different worlds.

Ahh Young Skywalker - you are starting to feel the force.

Ron_Jackson
03-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Keith if you have ever seen my website and looked at my work, much of it has a lot of digital manipulation. It's not purist photography. I like to work with multiple filters, blends, color saturation, Painter and other combinations. When you mentioned that you treat your prints in Photoshop and not over manipulate, what would that do to my work? It's not often subtle.

Ron_Jackson
03-24-2007, 07:04 PM
Sorry but I have another question. Are the comp prints signed or labeled with the photographer's name and information? I ask because, if so, what if one or more of the judges either liked you a lot and wanted to help so they gave you a better score than they would have if they didn't know you? Or, what if the reverse were true and they didn't like you and they scored low because of their personal feelings? Just curious.

D._Craig_Flory
03-24-2007, 07:19 PM
Sorry but I have another question. Are the comp prints signed or labeled with the photographer's name and information? I ask because, if so, what if one or more of the judges either liked you a lot and wanted to help so they gave you a better score than they would have if they didn't know you? Or, what if the reverse were true and they didn't like you and they scored low because of their personal feelings? Just curious.

Hi Ron;

No name, or identifying markings, can be on the front of the print. So all prints are anonymous. If any print comes up that one of the judges thinks they might know the maker, the extra judge steps in to judge on that image. The judges never see the labels on the back.

Keith_A_Howe
03-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Keith if you have ever seen my website and looked at my work, much of it has a lot of digital manipulation. It's not purist photography. I like to work with multiple filters, blends, color saturation, Painter and other combinations. When you mentioned that you treat your prints in Photoshop and not over manipulate, what would that do to my work? It's not often subtle.

Well - that's a different story. I'm talking about artwork that is supposed to look like a photograph - not artwork that is SUPPOSED to show. Even so - if it is poorly done or if it does not enhance the image - it will be scored lower. I have seen people add a grunge filter to an otherweise soft gentle type image - because they liked the effect. that filter is onviously meant to "show". yet it would result in a lower score in this case as it doesn't add to, enhance or keep with the feeling of the image.

Absolutely no ID on front of the print. If I as a judge know the maker I will DQ myself from scoring. Doesn't matter if I know them and like them or know them and hate them - I cannot ethically score it. I am required to DQ myself. All identification is on a label on the back of the print. Perhaps some unethical judges might cheat, refrain from DQ'ing themselves and score their friends prints higher - I hope not - but how could that be policed or proven? Just as on the entry form you have to sign that you are the photographer. Some unethical photographers could cheat and enter prints they didn't create. We basically have to tell people - here are the rules - you better follow them. Then we hope their conscience makes them do just that.

Keith

Ron_Jackson
03-24-2007, 08:22 PM
So what you are saying is I can't pay D. Craig a fee and borrow several of his 99 score images and submit them? :( That's too bad.

Kidding. No I did assume that no identification could be on the prints so as not to sway any judge.

Thanks. I am learning a lot and hopefully this is teaching those who really might be interested in competition how to go about it properly.
Ron

Dave_Higgins
03-25-2007, 05:20 AM
Something was mentioned earlier in the thread that brought up a question. When prints are judged does, does the photographer receive a written evaluation?

Regards,

Linda_Gregory
03-25-2007, 01:26 PM
Dave, that's up to your local affiliate but on the national level, if you pay $35 extra, you get a dvd video critique. It's a great way to get an indepth critique of your image.

D._Craig_Flory
03-25-2007, 02:58 PM
Something was mentioned earlier in the thread that brought up a question. When prints are judged does, does the photographer receive a written evaluation?

Regards,

Hi Dave;

Sitting in the room, while judging is going on, is a great learning experience. I recommend backing that up with attending critique day. Here in Pennsylvania we have a print critique day. Photographers get some of their images off the display racks and give them to a member of the print committee. When they come up one of the judges (or a state Master) will go over what could have helped it score higher.

Jeff_Dachowski
03-25-2007, 03:40 PM
Dave,
One other reason for the critique video, is that the person critiquing it is also a judge, and has the righ tto challenge the print if it does not merit. So during their comments, they can have it sent to another board, which may or may not get the merit you are looking for. Last year several prints were accepted, that had been thumbs down. and some even went loan.
Jeff

David_A._Lottes
03-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Unless you are still film based? then nothing wrong with that - you just don't have as much control. Or are you having the lab do all your PS work? Just adjust your density 20 -25% deeper than norm - to allow for the intensity of judging lights.

Keith

Thanks Keith
I just switched to digital one year ago in April so these will be my first digital comp prints. I've been happy with doing all my own retouching and adjustments for client work. (Just got back an order with 3-11x14s and a 16x20 all adjusted in house!) But I've been afraid of doing my own comp work because of the density issue. So the 20 -25% is a good place to start. Now are you doing this with the brightness slider or the levels controls? Thanks again! - David

D._Craig_Flory
03-26-2007, 02:23 PM
Thanks Keith
I just switched to digital one year ago in April so these will be my first digital comp prints. I've been happy with doing all my own retouching and adjustments for client work. (Just got back an order with 3-11x14s and a 16x20 all adjusted in house!) But I've been afraid of doing my own comp work because of the density issue. So the 20 -25% is a good place to start. Now are you doing this with the brightness slider or the levels controls? Thanks again! - David

Hi David;

Every lab has a "known output test" (used to be called a "Shirley" print in the B&W days). So do this ... open it up and put a small version of your competition image on top. Send that along with the competition file. The lab knows what the output file looks like so they then know how to print your competition file. I'm posting a 5X7 with two images from last year on top as an example.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/KnownOutputExamples.jpg

I first send for 8X10s of competition images & review the outcome to see if I need to make any changes before sending again for the 16X20's.

David_A._Lottes
03-26-2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks D. Craig!
That should do it. I remember you talking about getting an 8x10 first and I'm planning to do that as well. What's the light again? f16 iso 100 @ 1 second?

Keith_A_Howe
03-26-2007, 06:14 PM
But I've been afraid of doing my own comp work because of the density issue. So the 20 -25% is a good place to start. Now are you doing this with the brightness slider or the levels controls? Thanks again! - David

I do it in levels. If you are already pretty consistent with what you get back from your lab - then what I do is look at histogram. I want my blacks to end at the edge of the histogram - not before. I want the whites to end at the right hand edge. I adjust in mid tones - usually about 80-85. Each print and each lab is different. Consider this - if you have been paying for custom and now you are gonna just get the cheapest print available - then you can afford to have two copies made - varying the density.

D. Craig has a good idea in theory - getting the 8x10's - but I usually don't have time to deal with that. Also sometimes when a file is enlarged - even though density remains the same - the whites look whiter or the blacks look blacker- just because it's a bigger physical area in a larger print. So maybe it won't be a total success for detirmining print competition density - but it certainly will help you if you are having issues with calling your own color on your day to day work.

Keith

Keith_A_Howe
03-26-2007, 06:14 PM
What's the light again? f16 iso 100 @ 1 second?

Yes

Keith

David_A._Lottes
03-26-2007, 06:19 PM
I do it in levels. If you are already pretty consistent with what you get back from your lab - then what I do is look at histogram. I want my blacks to end at the edge of the histogram - not before. I want the whites to end at the right hand edge. I adjust in mid tones - usually about 80-85. Each print and each lab is different. Consider this - if you have been paying for custom and now you are gonna just get the cheapest print available - then you can afford to have two copies made - varying the density.
Keith

Thanks Keith
I'm printing this out to go with D.Craigs step mount tutorial. Your 100% right. With what I was paying for a film based comp print I can order 15 candid 16x20s if that's what it takes.;)

Keith_A_Howe
03-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Okay - here is the continuing saga of my print case for this year. Remember I had printed on metallic and what wasn't on metallic was laminated - so they had to be reprinted? The reprints got here this AM - the box was trashed. Luckily the images were just a little waffely - and it will mount out. I didn't have the lab mount - because of a time issue - so I took the prints down to a local custom framer to dry mount. After mounting - he was trimming the edge and put a big scratch through one. Am I upset? No - this is just a typical year. Ask Holly about the 1 1/4" scar on her arm - or the year I hacked the corner off her print - or the year the spray all turned yellow. If things go too smooth I start to get nervous.

Keith

Linda_Gregory
03-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Well, I've got three off the printer now to laminate....still have one more and am thinking art paper instead of photographic paper.

We don't do it but am outsourcing it to a lab we do work for. Does it mount the same?

Cheryl_Dutton
03-30-2007, 03:11 AM
Is there a web site that list competitions? I have never entered a print but would love to try.
Thanks,
Cheryl

Marc_Benjamin
04-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to report that my Hail Mary case for the Western States regionals got 3/4 with the 4th on a 79! It would have been a sucess story of superbowl proportions if the last one slid in there but it's a win either way!

Here are the scores:

Disabled Me Not! 81
Private Dancer 81
Golden Gate Romance 80
Pretty In Pink 79

Hmmmmmm, what can we do now to increase our chances to hang the 4th at nationals? It would be nice to dress up again for photog of the year. Hmmmmm, any ideas?

David_A._Lottes
04-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Is there a point when one should stop sending in what they think a weak case is just so that people wont remember their low scores?

So......looks like you answered your own question Marc. Congrats!

Auralee_Dallas
04-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Marc, congratulations!!!! I knew it wasn't a "weak" case because I've seen these images I think. How did you find out so quickly??? Did you go up to Washington?
I didn't enter, but I'm dying to know how others from our group did.
Now we have get ready for PPA--which ones of yours are going there???

Marc_Benjamin
04-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Hi Auralee,

Thanks and yes you have seen those images at our local PPSV. In fact, they're the same prints, the only thing is the "what if" I had redone the images to show the improvements that the judges had mentioned.

Anyways, I checked the ppw.org website this morning and there it was. Alley and David did great and I think one of them earned M. Photog.

I'm gonna have to rework Pretty in Pink cause this is the second time it scored a 79 on a qualified panel this year. I think the push will come from the matting.

Brian_Roden
04-11-2007, 07:41 PM
Speaking of finishes, any of you guys ever done the "I just printed it out of my Epson" on the 11th hour? knowing that it's for sure to score better if you just enough time to send it out and had gotten that super duper shine?

I have a friend here in Arkansas who home home from Florida on a Saturday evening, unboxed his brand new Epson 2200 for the first time, printed four prints on watercolor paper in the wee hours of the morning, and brought them in Sunday for state comp. They all scored upper 80s lower 90s. When those four prints made it to SWPPA the next spring, he hung 4 for 4.

So you never know.

D._Craig_Flory
04-11-2007, 07:58 PM
Is there a web site that list competitions? I have never entered a print but would love to try.
Thanks,
Cheryl

Hi Cheryl;

For someone who has never competed, I recommend starting lower. In Pennsylvania, there are a few pro associations below state level. One I know has 3 meetings a year and a print competition at each one. (I've been a judge there twice). Our state association has print competition once a year at the annual convention. The convention is April 22nd - 25th with competition on the 22nd. If you are interested ... here is a link to the blue ribbon and winning images from last year. http://www.ppaofpa.org/HomePage.htm Scroll down and click on either trophy winners or blue ribbon slide show.

So check around your state.

Marc_Benjamin
04-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Hi Everyone,

So my print case came back right, and to my SHOCK! The 79 (Pretty in Pink) showed an 81 on the score box along with a PPA seal and a gold corner! All 4 had corners and seals! I guess they mis keyed it on the first report that went out!

Turns out the case did get a 4/4!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yey, another POTY pin!

Linda_Gregory
04-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Woo!! Congratulations!!!!

Jeff_Dachowski
04-18-2007, 01:39 AM
Marc,
Congratulations. Time you bought your own tux don't you think?
Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
04-18-2007, 03:26 AM
Congrats !!!!

I suppose I should be addressing you as Mr Benjamin or Sir Benjamin ah ... no I got it ..... Master Benjamin pretty soon huh.
Keith

DianeDavis
04-18-2007, 04:19 AM
Way To Go Marc!

And hope you are feeling better.

Jackie_Haggerty
04-18-2007, 04:34 AM
Marc, you are awesome! That's great, and we'll be there to cheer you on! :)

Marc_Benjamin
04-19-2007, 03:35 PM
Jeff, nah, I'm more of a rental kindda guy right now since I still have this dream of shaping up or I guess down realy. Ha!

Keith, that's the goal. And congrats to you on your 4/4 as well Master K!

Diane, feeling a little better though I almost had an attack when I saw the seals! btw, we gonna see you at golden gate school?

Linda and Jackie, thanks and so are we gonna see you guys at imaging Florida?

Thanks again you guys!

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
04-21-2007, 03:07 AM
Where can we see your prints? I would love to see them!!