PDA

View Full Version : comp prints

John_Throneburg
03-20-2007, 07:06 PM
Here are the images I entered

images removed due to lack of interest & relevant reponses

Your critiques are welcome as well the score you would rate them. I will tell you later how they actually did. Thanks.

D._Craig_Flory
03-20-2007, 07:43 PM
Hi John;

By far, my favorite is "Who Let the dogs Out ?". I wish audio was allowed. The person announcing the title could push a button and play the rap song by that name. ;) I give it an 81.

My least favorite is "End of the Road". My one drawback ... I can't see an accent line for separation of the subject layer from the background layer. I just don't see too much to make the judges sit up and do more than put a score in the machine. I give it a 78.

On "Misty Blue", I like the pensive look on her face as if she is thinking hard about something. I don't like that her one hand, and most of the arm, are hidden behind the chair back. It could have been great with some dramatic lighting. I give it a 79 ... close but no cigar.

Looking at "Bette Davis Eyes", the 1st thing I see is the hot pink tube top. I don't care for her staring into the lens either. I would have liked it a lot of she had her head turned towards the right side, as we see it and looking slightly up as the fan blew her hair. I give this a 79 also.

I hope I'm wrong and all 4 get blue ribbons. (and that the pooches get higher than an 81)

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
03-20-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm not a judge and have only entered one comp but I really like "End of the Road" ... much more than the others.

JohnHeckler
03-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Here are the images I entered

http://throneburgphoto.homestead.com/PrintCompetition.html

Your critiques are welcome as well the score you would rate them. I will tell you later how they actually did. Thanks.

Hi John, I pretty much liked them all, but here are my guesses for competition:

Misty Blue - 77
Who Let The Dogs Out - 80
Davis Eyes - 78
End of the Road - 78

Stacey_Kaylor
03-22-2007, 07:16 PM
I like them all, especially the dogs.

I would say-

Who let the dogs out scored 82
The rest in the 77-79 range

I am amazed at what you have to do to get an 80.

Stacey

D._Craig_Flory
03-22-2007, 07:39 PM
I like them all, especially the dogs.

I would say-

Who let the dogs out scored 82
The rest in the 77-79 range

I am amazed at what you have to do to get an 80.

Stacey

Hi Stacey;

Having been in competition for decades, I will tell you that images that got an 80 score, 10 years ago, may not get an 80 now. Photographers keep getting better and so the criteria keeps rising also.

But, on the other hand, you never know what may score well. That is why it's good to share images with others. Sometimes we are too close to our work and it takes an impartial opinion to select what should be entered.

Ron_Jackson
03-22-2007, 10:26 PM
What determines the width of the stroke?

D._Craig_Flory
03-22-2007, 11:22 PM
What determines the width of the stroke?

Hi Ron;

Basically you want it wide enough so it gives separation without drawing attention to itself. As an example ... on a 72 ppi 10 X 8 it would be about 1 to 1½ pixels. On a competition 20 X 16 it would be between 5 pixels and 8 pixels or so. You want to look at it under "print size" and sit back to see how it looks.

KirkDarling
03-22-2007, 11:31 PM
On a competition 20 X 16

Craig, turning Brit on us?

D._Craig_Flory
03-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Craig, turning Brit on us?

Hi Kirk;

Since a horizontal composition tends to be more prevalent, I used the 20x16 dimension.

Don't worry, I won't start adding extra letters in words and using different spellings like kerb instead of curb. And I will definitely not start talking with an accent like Benny Hill. (now the youngsters are going to ask who Benny Hill was) LOL

And, the only UK I know is the University of Kentucky.

Ron_Jackson
03-23-2007, 12:41 AM
Thanks. And I suppose you answered my other question without me asking. This is, when submitting comp prints, the boards can be 16x20 or 20x16? In other words, portrait or landscape for presentation.

Jeff_Dachowski
03-23-2007, 03:29 AM
Thanks. And I suppose you answered my other question without me asking. This is, when submitting comp prints, the boards can be 16x20 or 20x16? In other words, portrait or landscape for presentation.

Yes!
Jeff

Seems to me Ron is thinking about entering prints in the near future. What say you Ron?

Mark_Levesque
03-23-2007, 04:14 AM
He'll overcome the anxiety. You'll see.

Ron_Jackson
03-23-2007, 05:15 AM
I just got through preparing 64 boards to submit to Internation Print Competiton. Bought all the boxes and ordered all the final prints. So I finally decided to go for it. I was going to enter 226 images but thought since it was my first time I would just send a few. I hope that's enough for a beginner.

Nope. Just really curious. After Keith converted me on this step mount thing, I just became more curious and watch this thread with a different interest. Jeff and Mark, have you both competed before? If so, how was it and how did you do?

Mark_Levesque
03-23-2007, 11:23 AM
Yes. Twice. First at NHPPA print comp. Entered 6, got 3 blue and 3 red (blues are for 80 and above, reds for 76-79.) Sent 4 of the images to PPANE, and got two blues and two reds. The blues were sealed and are going to go to PPA for merits.

Jeff_Dachowski
03-23-2007, 01:03 PM
HI Ron,
I have been involved with print comp in the past. I have entered two national comps. I have 1 loan, 1 Showcase, 2 general collection. I also have an image that has a seal of approval for this years comp. We have our state comp next month, and we can enter as many as six images in that. It should be fun as Jim Lersch is a judge. I can't post a lot here now because i do not want to taint his judging. Ron, you gotta try this, because it is not about ego, it is about bringing imagery to the point of impressing other imagers. When you strive to do that, all of your works rises. Like Jack says about a rising tide. It is the same with print comp. If you comp stuff gets better, so does everything else. Or, if you don't want to do it...cool. Whatever works for you.
Jeff

Ron_Jackson
03-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Jeff I hear what you are saying about competition and the idea that the more you compete the better your other work gets. But really, how much better could I get? I'm already so good. If I entered comps, I'm sure everything would be blue and go loan. I guess I can see these reasons for you and the others.....but me? Ha! Kidding of course.

It's not about ego for me. It's about time, money and desire. Right now my business is so new and I have no other source of income. Business is slow and I am working feverishly to get things pumped up. Who knows what the future holds regarding competition but not right now.
Thanks for the answers.
Ron

D._Craig_Flory
03-23-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi Ron;

Till you are ready to try competition, I suggest that you post "competition" type images on here. Print competition is a "yardstick" to measure your work. The best possible way is to see your images being judged and then to sit in on critiques. But, it would be a close 2nd if you posted images here as you think you would prepare them for a real judging.

I double dare you to start posting competition style images ! You will be learning with each and every one as you get help from Holly and Keith and many others.

Ron_Jackson
03-23-2007, 03:13 PM
D. Craig you know I have posted many images on here before. Every time I did, people would say there was somthing wrong. These were perfectly good images so how could there be anything wrong with them? Seriously, I have posted many time here to get the critique and without it, my portrait work would really suck.

If I have time to really prepare a file, I might post something but right now, I already spend too much time just browsing this forum. When I am in my office working on files, I always have the forum open therefore I will go back and forth during the day and see what's happening. We'll see. Who knows what the future holds.

John_Throneburg
04-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Thought I would bring this back to the surface to see if I could get any more critques. Give me the good, the bad, & even the ugly. :)

Thanks D. Craig for taking the time to comment on each one and give me a score. Thanks also to Sue Ellen, John, and Stacey. Will let you know how close your scores were to the judges soon.

Don_Chick
04-04-2007, 04:45 AM
HI Ron,

It should be fun as Jim Lersch is a judge. I can't post a lot here now because i do not want to taint his judging.
Jeff

Jeff,

I forgot to tell you... Jim isn't judging in NH!! We moved him over to the program side of the equation. He's doing his commercial program on Sunday instead of judging...

Don

Valerie_Harte
04-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Hi Ron;

You will be learning with each and every one as you get help from Holly and Keith and many others.

All I can say is Amen to that. I thought I had learned a lot from 6 years experience, including film, my father (who shot all film, did his own developing, and was a pro hobbyist LOL), my grandmother and sister who are both artists, and lots of reading and studying during that time. I even had a print published years ago in another competition but I have learned more in the 3 or 4 months that I have been posting here then I have the entire time. It has definitely paid for my PPA membership 100s of time over.

John_Throneburg
04-05-2007, 05:48 AM
420 views, 21 replies, 4 directed to original post; was hoping for a few more critiques and suggestions on these competition prints. :confused:

Anyway, those of you who scored them did very well.
Who Let the Dogs out - 82
End of the Road - 79
Bette Davis Eyes - 76
Misty Blue - 76

Still interested if anyone else wants to offer suggestions for improvement or point out some of the short comings. It was my first competition and I was hoping to gain some insight here that might be helpful in the future. Thanks.

Linda_Gregory
04-05-2007, 12:48 PM
John, I'd be happy to guess for you. I am not a judge of any kind, just someone who also listens and have just attended a whole day of judging, captured at a table recording the scores. There are so many differing views by the judges but there are still some basics. I now understand more why looking at an image on the screen makes it so difficult to critique as the judges many times would get right up to the print, take glasses on/off and peer at the most minute item.

Misty Blue: The title makes me believe there's going to be blue in the image but if you're referring to her clothing, it's very lost in all the brown. Her hair has left a shadow on her forhead and is falling across her pearl necklace. I'm not sure if you had a fan on her hair or if it was just sticking up naturally. I am imagining you would never let someone pose if their hair was acting up so bad but the evidence of a fan is not strong enough to pull it off.

Bette Davis Eyes: Her neck looks huge. The angle of her head and neck are not flattering. Her head would be better tilted to her left to give more curvature. Her left shoulder looks tense and may be better if she had let it relax a bit more. The crop on her right arm is not in a pleasing place.

End of the Road: I personally love it, I can only think it needed to be darker as the bright lights would make this milky with the bright lights on it.

Now, again, I know nothing! After our competitions, I would grab a judge or someone else knowlegeble and take them around to my prints and get one on one feedback and be able to ask questions like, "So, how would I do that?"