PDA

View Full Version : new to competition resend

Stacey_Kaylor
03-19-2007, 04:29 PM
Here it is bigger.

D._Craig_Flory
03-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Hi Stacey;

I see an image with a background that is screaming for attention. You have the positioning in the lower right. I see it best in the upper left. Your accent line is a bit too wide & a color that is also trying to get attention.
Here is how I see it ...

Stacey_Kaylor
03-19-2007, 06:53 PM
Wow! Thanks that really brings it out. I Guess I was trying to match the eye color with the green. Do you think it is strong enough to enter? I am going to enter my state Tennessee ppa.

I am mainly a wedding photographer, I have heard the wedding catagory is the hardest.

Mark_Levesque
03-19-2007, 07:26 PM
I like the composition, but the lighting is flat and I'm not a fan of the colorization. It might be a struggle to merit. That being said, taking the time to work this up for competition would undoubtedly be helpful. Entering the print and watching the competition would be hugely educational. Listening to the judges' comments, I find, is the most important part of comp. At least for me. I made it to last year's convention for only one day: print comp. I was so glad I did. I learned a ton. So by all means, work up a few images and go to the competition.

Keith_A_Howe
03-19-2007, 10:00 PM
Mark summed it up well. To answer your other question, weddings, yes it is hard but I don't feel it is any harder than portraits. If you are mainly a wedding photographer enter some images from your weddings as well. Remember the print case fee to enter is the same for 1 image or 4 (some states allow even more images in a non affiliated judging). Working the images up and entering is some of the best education you can get. Go for it!
Keith

Stacey_Kaylor
03-19-2007, 10:14 PM
I will be asking for more critiques in the future. I really like the honesty in this forum. I may work up some wedding images and see what you think.

Ron_Jackson
03-20-2007, 01:45 AM
Keith are you judging at the International Print Competition?