PDA

View Full Version : New to competition

Stacey_Kaylor
03-19-2007, 03:20 PM
What do you think honest opinion? I love this forum. I want to get into print competiton, it seems like it would really make you grow as a photographer and artist. Thanks for any comments.

Mark_McCall
04-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Stacey,
WOW...no comments.
To see an actual PPA Print Judging, visit www.swppa.com, click on the video window in the lower right hand corner.

Allow time for video to load once you click one.
Maybe this'll help you get your feet wet.

Cheryl_Dutton
04-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Mark,

Thank you so much! This is just what I needed to see.
It really helps when someone like me is thinking about entering
a competition for the first time.
Thanks again.

D._Craig_Flory
04-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Hi Cheryl;

I suggest that you first enter a local, sub-state, or state competition to get your feet wet. Also, plan on sitting in the judging and watching the judges work. Plus ... if there is a print critique, another day, plan on attending and listening to reasons why images didn't score as high as the maker thought they should have.

Ask photogs. on here where print competitions are held near you. Here, in Pennsylvania, our state association holds a once a year judging. But the Northeast Pa. Asoc. holds competition at each one of their three meetings so photogs. can enter up to 12 prints a year.

If you don't own a print case, you will need to buy one.

Dave_Cisco
04-08-2007, 12:07 AM
Mark,

Thank you so much! This is just what I needed to see.
It really helps when someone like me is thinking about entering
a competition for the first time.
Thanks again.

Cheryl;
Can't tell where you're from(info missing from upper right corner of your post..)

Ron_Jackson
04-08-2007, 01:09 AM
Stacey I am not a judge and I don't enter competitions but I will comment on what you are presenting here.

First, I am intrigued by the portrait but I can't really see it when it's this small. I can tell you right away I am not in love with the large green mount. It completely takes me away from the image. I want to see the portrait and not the border or board it's mounted on. If you had this on a black background or mount, it would really stand out. But again, I would love for you to first post the image as large as possible for us to see the portrait then go from there.
Thanks for taking the plunge and posting here. I think you have something nice but I want to see more of it.
Ron

Cheryl_Dutton
04-08-2007, 06:20 PM
Craig,
Thanks, great info. I have been checking into my local and state.
Dave,
St. Louis. I put it under my name at the bottom of post.