PDA

View Full Version : 2007 International Print Competition

Gregory_Aide
03-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Rules for the 2007 PPA International Print Competition are now available for download at http://competitions.ppa.com (http://competitions.ppa.com/). Along with the new rules this year, PPA has also moved to a paperless entry form. Beginning in April, competition entrants will be able to go online to complete their entry forms and pay their entry fees. The new electronic system is intended to speed up the entry process, reduce data entry errors and save money.

PPA members have until June 8 to submit their entries for this year's judging which will be held July 22-25, in Daytona Beach Florida. Late entries will be accepted with an additional fee until June 29.

Visit http://competitions.ppa.com (http://competitions.ppa.com/) for more information.

Stephanie_Hobson
03-15-2007, 09:40 PM
I have a question about the number and fees for entries. The rules state a maximum of four entries per entrant, and I see some of you guys talking about "filling your box". So, does that mean that the entry fee covers up to four entries, or is the entry fee per item?

Hope this question makes sense, and if it has been asked and answered many times before I apologize in advance.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Stacey_West
03-15-2007, 10:44 PM
So, does that mean that the entry fee covers up to four entries, or is the entry fee per item?

The entry fee covers four entries. Good luck.

D._Craig_Flory
03-16-2007, 02:46 PM
I have a question about the number and fees for entries. The rules state a maximum of four entries per entrant, and I see some of you guys talking about "filling your box". So, does that mean that the entry fee covers up to four entries, or is the entry fee per item?

Hope this question makes sense, and if it has been asked and answered many times before I apologize in advance.

Thanks,
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie;

Now that your question about how many was answered ... did you know that it is required that you ship your images in a print case ?

Stephanie_Hobson
03-16-2007, 06:30 PM
Hi D. Craig... Yes, I had figured that out. I think I've read every word posted on this forum since I found it a couple of weeks ago. For instance, I've seen the picture of your ancient case. :) Seriously, I can't begin to tell you how helpful this forum has been to us.

So far we have only the one image we would consider sending, but since the only additional cost would be the printing we're going to see if we can come up with more.

Stephanie

Don_Chick
03-16-2007, 06:43 PM
It costs the same to send 1 or 4 (except for the actual print cost) so you might as well send 4. Ask for a critique (extra cost) and you'll learn a great deal about why your images got what they did.
I had 3 to send a couple years ago and sent a 4th (case filler). PPA ended up hanging all 4! Unfortunately it was the year before they started the Photographer of the Year award...

Don_Nealious
03-30-2007, 04:53 PM
Hi all,

I was wondering. Can work that has been previously been published or exhibited be entered into the competitiion?

Thanks,

Don Nealious

D._Craig_Flory
03-30-2007, 05:04 PM
Hi Don;

I think the progression for most photographers is sub-state, state, regional, and then PPA competition. (a lot strictly compete in state first and then PPA) So the images do not have be images never competed with before.

In our state, sometimes I see the opposite. Photographers who competed at PPA will then enter some in state. I think the reason is that we have a state degree and if they got a merit at national they then hope to have it get an 80+ and go blue in Pennsylvania. When I served on print committee I saw images that had a merit at national, or which even went loan, only get in the 70s for whatever reason.

Don_Nealious
03-30-2007, 09:16 PM
Hi craig,

The reason I ask is that we just got back from the WPPI convention in Las Vegas. I recognized quite a number of the winning images had been previously published in magazines. I can't remember if it was PP or Rangefinder or both. Yet the judging took place last weekend. It seems to me that sort of exposure could influence the judging.

Whereas the small municipality "juried" print competitions have the requirement that the images not have been previously published.

I am making sense to you?

Don Nealious

D._Craig_Flory
03-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi Don;

That is why there are 5 panels of judges ... and extra judges standing by. If a judges knows, or thinks they know, the maker they recuse themselves and then an alternate steps in to judge that image. A case in point ... under commercial advertising or illustrative an image may have been created for a magazine advertising campaign. So of course it would have been in a magazine ... lots of them. Tear sheets accompaning the image show how it was used. Judges are supposed to alert the print master of a conflict.
I hope this helps.

Don_Nealious
03-31-2007, 12:21 AM
Thanks Craig,

I did not witness the actual judging, since we were in lectures everyday, but we did get to see them displayed. There were lots of very good images. Many I thought were better than those chosen. I photographed each of the winners at the awards banquet so I could study them later at my leisure.

It was good for me to see the high calibre of work, since I want to start entering the competition.

Thanks for the info.

Don Nealious

Auralee_Dallas
04-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Is the EI competition separate from the regular print competition? In other words, if one of your images is for EI does it count as one of your 4, or is it completely separate. I notice that the size varies if you want to show the images you used to start with.

D._Craig_Flory
04-26-2007, 06:24 PM
Hi Auralee;

Here in Pa. you must have a separate print case for E.I. and pay a print case fee for each case. Since our rules are patterned after PPA I think it's the same. If you have two E.I. and two regular you would pay two fees and have two cases.

I just competed with four images all worked in Photoshop, some more than others. I entered all in regular and not in E.I.

Auralee_Dallas
04-28-2007, 03:22 PM
Hi D. Craig,
I do not mean just images worked in photoshop. I mean where you show the finished image and all the images you used to create the finished product. I believe in this category, the images can be created by yourself and/or others.
I guess the smart thing to do would be to go to the PPA site and find out. Duh!
I really only have one that would qualify, so I think I'll just include it in the regular print competition. Thanks for your help.
Auralee

Keith_A_Howe
04-28-2007, 04:42 PM
Auralee - EI is a totally seperate competition with seperate print case and entry fee.

Auralee_Dallas
04-28-2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks Keith--where's Holly these days?

Keith_A_Howe
04-28-2007, 05:27 PM
I really only have one that would qualify, so I think I'll just include it in the regular print competition. Thanks for your help.
Auralee

I didn't read this right before, You could enter the end result with out the guide images assuming you were the photographer in Portrait Open. You can't enter the image with the guide images on it in Portrait Open only EI. Also in EI if you enter with guide images around it is is on a 20x24 board.
Keith

Gina_DeConti
05-04-2007, 09:54 PM
I have a quick question about the rule that states "no two pictures can be of the same subject". Does that mean you can only enter one picture from any one event? Thanks and hope this isn't a stupid question :)

D._Craig_Flory
05-04-2007, 11:12 PM
Hi Gina;

A case in point ... if you did a portrait of senior girl, only only image of her could be entered this year. That goes for all portraits.

For weddings, you couldn't enter two showing the same bride and / or groom. But you could enter one of the ring bearer since there would be no way to tie that in with the bride and / or groom in another image.

Then next year you could enter another image of the portrait subject or bride, groom, couple.

If you would enter two the print committee would catch it as they open your print case. Either they would one or the other or they could possibly disqualify both. So always make sure of what you enter.

Gina_DeConti
05-05-2007, 02:48 PM
Thanks D. Craig,

That answers my question perfectly. I really appreciate the help!

Sandy_Hill
05-10-2007, 01:14 PM
I feel ignorant asking this, I've looked at the Rules several times and cannot find out where/if I am to put my name on the print? I know it doesn't go on the front, but do I put it on the back? Or nowhere? And do most of the images have extensive "digital work" done to them? My images are fairly straight forward without any manipulation done by me...

D._Craig_Flory
05-10-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi Sandy;

No name, or any identifying information, can be on the front no matter what level of competition from local pro associations on up to PPA. Your name and information go on a label which gets put on the back.

As for digital work and such .... I suggest that you attend and sit through a print competition. (state association maybe) Volunteer and work on the print committee of your state group. ( I hope you belong ... an excellent place to learn) Take images to the meetings and ask Masters, and Craftsman Degree, holders to look and give you suggestions. Buy one, or more than one, of the PPA General Collection and Loan Collection Books. Post images on here, under Competition, for suggestions and comments. Enter as often as you can. Attend print critiques afterwards & ask to have your print(s) commented on.

On our Pennsylvania Association web site there are slide shows you can watch of blue ribbon & trophy winning images .. I think from 2006. Please watch and make notes of what you thought made them special. Go back again soon when the images from the April 2007 competition are posted.
Go to www.ppaofpa.org and look for the slide shows.

I hope this helps.

Joe_Campanellie
05-23-2007, 11:41 PM
That...and WPPI and PPA are two different animals with their own set of rules and category requirements.

JohnHeckler
05-31-2007, 03:12 PM
PPA members have until June 8 to submit their entries for this year's judging which will be held July 22-25, in Daytona Beach Florida. Late entries will be accepted with an additional fee until June 29.

Visit http://competitions.ppa.com (http://competitions.ppa.com/) for more information.

Does this mean the entries need to be post marked June 8th or earlier or they need to be received at PPA by June 8th ...

Yeah, yeah, I know ... I am pushing it to the last minute again :eek:

Roger_Williams
08-16-2007, 07:22 PM
... did you know that it is required that you ship your images in a print case ?

There are a lot of print cases on the market. Are there any special requirements or will a Fiberbilt P50 Print Shipping Case 16X20X4 be just fine or for 4 prints does it need to be a 20" x 24" x 4" or will a 20" x 24" x 2" work?

D._Craig_Flory
08-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi Roger;

I have owned two fiberbilt cases, for decades, and they have held up well. However, some people on here have said that they are not as well built as they had been.

I own a 2" 16X20 and a 3" 16x20. For multiple uses, as well as plenty of space for protective packing, I would suggest the 3" or a 4". Besides competition. I use my cases for transporting prints when I have a display somewhere. So if you are are leaning towards the 4" ... go for it.

Please ask for recommendations on other brands so you can compare.

Roger_Williams
08-17-2007, 03:15 PM
Hi Roger;

I have owned two fiberbilt cases, for decades, and they have held up well. However, some people on here have said that they are not as well built as they had been.

I own a 2" 16X20 and a 3" 16x20. For multiple uses, as well as plenty of space for protective packing, I would suggest the 3" or a 4". Besides competition. I use my cases for transporting prints when I have a display somewhere. So if you are are leaning towards the 4" ... go for it.

Please ask for recommendations on other brands so you can compare.

At last Spring's state convention there was talk about UPS or USPS rule changes about the web banding used to keep them closed during shipment. Do you know if there are issues about this and if so, what is the work-around?

Thanks

D._Craig_Flory
08-17-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi Roger;

Like just about everyone else, after closing the straps I have always taped them down using a wide clear package tape. Print committees aren't pleased ... but, it always gives me peace of mind. I hadn't heard those rumors but will check it out.