PDA

View Full Version : Master Artist and Master of Electronic Imaging

Marc_Benjamin
03-13-2007, 10:19 PM
How does one start chasing these and what does it take?

Keith_A_Howe
03-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Marc
You enter those catergories at the international judging. The only regional for artist and EI is at SEPPA. You need a case for each catergory you enter ie. Photographic Open, Artist and Electronic Imaging. Here is the link to the rules for each. http://4seppa.com/Print%20Rules.htm

In artist you will want to attach the guide prints so the overall image board is 20x24 with the worked print as a 16x20. Use the other 8x20 inches to attach the guide prints so the judges can readily see what work you have done. Assuming that the artwork is done very well - with out these guide prints to see what you have done- your work could be missed. All work is traditional artwork ( oils, poencils, dyes, etc) applied to a negative or print. NO PS. You have to be the artist but not the neccesarily the photographer.

For Electronic Imaging you have a choice to include guide images or not. My recomendation is to include guide images as just as above you do not want your work missed by the judges. Your image is 16x20, if you choose to include guides these are all on a 20x24 board just as in artist only you can do it in PS and on one piece of paper. ALL work is Electronic. You must be the PS artist but it is not neccesary to be the photographer.

When entering these 2 catagories think degree of difficulty as well as impact. The number of merits is the same as for a plain Master's - at least 13 print and the other 12 can be educational, service, speaking or additional prints in that catergory.

I think artist and EI are more difficult then regular Master's as not only should the print to present all 12 elements - but you are also judged on degree of difficulty. Hope this helps.
Keith

Mark_McCall
04-06-2007, 06:53 PM
Keith's right. Artist and EI are both more difficult to merit, especially if guide prints aren't added.

One thing to note:
Only one regional affiliate hosts EI...Southeast.
http://www.4seppa.com/

So if you want to enter in EI, your choices are:
Join Southeast, send your prints to them under the EI catagory (unless they've changed the membership requirements)
OR
Send them directly to PPA. With this route, you completely bypass any regional awards that you might be eligible for.

I wish more regionals hosted EI catagories, but I hear there's not enough EI judges to go around.

Keith_A_Howe
04-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Keith's right. Artist and EI are both more difficult to merit, especially if guide prints aren't added.

One thing to note:
Only one regional affiliate hosts EI...Southeast.
http://www.4seppa.com/

So if you want to enter in EI, your choices are:
Join Southeast, send your prints to them under the EI catagory (unless they've changed the membership requirements)
OR
Send them directly to PPA. With this route, you completely bypass any regional awards that you might be eligible for.

I wish more regionals hosted EI catagories, but I hear there's not enough EI judges to go around.

I believe you do not have to be a member of Southeast to send EI cases to them. Maybe to be eligible for awards you may I do not know. But the seal would still count.
It is my understanding that it is not a case of the number of judges (though there are a lot less than Portrait Open Judges) It is a case of $s. For a regional to be approved and have an affiliated EI judging, you would need to have a Jury Forman, and 6 jurrors plus the fees to national. When you figure air, hotel, and meals for the above as well as the cost involved with print crew etc. There are just not enough people entering to ofset the cost involved. As the demand goes up there will probably be more regional judgings.
Keith

Mark_McCall
04-08-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks Keith.
I SEPPA might have changed their rules regarding membership requirements to enter EI.

A few years ago, a friend of mine's case was returned from SEPPA because he was not a member, and didn't include a membership application and check in his print case. They didn't judge the case.

Again, this was a few years ago.

Anne_LeBouton
04-08-2007, 11:41 PM
I miss the days when Wisconsin was also an approved affiliate for Artist judging. I worked on the Arttech print crew for many years at our state convention before they decided to do away with it. At one time I was gong to try for my CPPS, but I never got around to it. Now everything has changed and I so rarely do artwork on anything other than the computer that I'm out of practice. Good to know there is still one place other than National you can enter. Maybe I'll get the oils out and oil glaze a few prints.

Keith_A_Howe
04-10-2007, 05:36 AM
I miss the days when Wisconsin was also an approved affiliate for Artist judging. I worked on the Arttech print crew for many years at our state convention before they decided to do away with it. At one time I was gong to try for my CPPS, but I never got around to it. Now everything has changed and I so rarely do artwork on anything other than the computer that I'm out of practice. Good to know there is still one place other than National you can enter. Maybe I'll get the oils out and oil glaze a few prints.

You probably handled a few of my images then (no wonder they were not all dinged up). I do know of at least one photographer that still oils his bw images to give them that extra pop. He told me he uses lamp black. I do think this would be a great idea on some images but it would mean that we would be back to layers of spray. Spray does nasty things to your health for those newbys that don't know, I developed a chemical intorance to petrolium products (you can't have an alergy to man made substances don'tcha know) things like newspaper ink, gas, shoe polish etc. So I tend to like PS besides it is less messy. ah back to the topic.... go ahead and enter artist or EI. Besides you no longer need to be certified to recieve your degree.
Keith

Anne_LeBouton
04-10-2007, 02:14 PM
I never put spray on before oiling an image, only after. That's how I was taught. If I do need spray, I send it to the lab and let them deal with it. The outgassing bothers me, though. I'm chemically sensitive too (not from exposure to spray, for other reasons).

The messy part is the part I like about it. Fingerpainting was always one of my best subjects! ;)

I miss the chance to get together with other art tech people and talk. Since Wisconsin dropped that part of the convention, I almost never get to talk with other people who do the same things I do. Working on print crew was always fun.