PDA

View Full Version : Understanding Kodak and Fuji Awards

Jackie_Haggerty
03-13-2007, 05:59 PM
My regional competition stated that Fuji and Kodak both have new rules for their awards this year. I have read the rules and am wondering if anyone knows what the rules WERE. I was told that Kodak, you have to have some Kodak product w/ the image (i.e. paper) and apparently Fuji is also? The Fuji label has a certification on the label that a Fuji product was used in the creation of the image. Does this elimiate a lot of Canon photographers that print on Kodak paper?

Keith_A_Howe
03-13-2007, 06:07 PM
It used to be that in order to get a Gallery award it had to be Kodak film and Kodak paper. Then with digital it was a Kodak camera and Kodak paper. I have heard that now it can be any camera or paper as long as one or the other is a Kodak product - but I don't know that for sure.

Fuji used to be no restrictions on camera, film or paper - but if you had used a Fuji product in the creation of the image - you also received a cash award. So much if it was either film or paper and more if it was both Fuji film and fuji paper. I have no idea what the new rules are for Fuji - other than I have heard that they raised the score to be eligible to 85 from the previous 80. Again - don't know that as fact - just as hearsay.

Keith

Marc_Benjamin
03-13-2007, 06:24 PM
It varies by state/region. This year in California, we needed to have some type of Fuji product in order to be eligible for the Masterpiece award in addition to a minimum of an 85. So yes, if your doing a canon/kodak combo then you will not be considered.

I think this is a good thing, it's a "Fuji" award afterall.

What does it say about Kodak on the form?

Jackie_Haggerty
03-13-2007, 06:27 PM
It looks like Fuji has now changed their rules to reflect Kodak as well, so you must have printed on Fuji or created with a Fuji product. Yes, the print score has gone up to 85.

I wonder if the labs use Fuji machines? ;)

Jackie_Haggerty
03-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Those are the rules in Illinois as well, Marc.

Kodak appears to be the same as what I understood originally, some type of Kodak product must have been used in the creation or printing.

Also, Kodak and Fuji labels are to be attached to the back of the print as well, if you would like it considered. The little box on our main label doesn't cut it anymore I guess.

David_A._Lottes
03-13-2007, 06:31 PM
Kodak used to be a KODAK/KODAK thing whereas Fuji was an any brand/any brand thing. I was wondering when Fuji would get tired of giving their awards to Kodak's customers.:D

Considering how Kodak has restructured over the past five or six years I'm surprised they even sponsor the award anymore.

Marc_Benjamin
03-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Considering how Kodak has restructured over the past five or six years I'm surprised they even sponsor the award anymore.

I hope it doesnt go away any time soon and there's probably hundreds of those (i want one) crystal trophies and pins at some warehouse.

BTW, has anyone ever seen the black Gallery elite award? Keith you have one?

Keith_A_Howe
03-13-2007, 06:52 PM
It varies by state/region. ?

Marc - Kodak and Fuji set these rules. Each state or region can elect to present or not present these awards but they can't change the rules for their region.

Here's some history. Kodak started the Gallery awards. The very first ones ever given were at the Heart Of America region. A few years later Fuji comes along and basically copies what Kodak was doing - EXCEPT! They said that you didn't have to use Fuji products to win. At the time Fuji was not a very popular choice among photographers and if they had required Fuji products to be used - nobody would have qualified. I remember Fuji reps getting up at award banquets and really making a big deal out of how Fuji didn't require you to use their products - they just wanted to reward excellant work - pretty much just rubbing it in Kodak's face. So time went by and Fuji got more and more market share and they quit making such a big deal about it. So now we have Fuji deciding to make it a requirment that some Fuji product is used and Kodak doing away with the requirment to use Kodak products to be eligible. I think it's all pretty ironic.
Keith

David_A._Lottes
03-13-2007, 06:59 PM
So now we have Fuji deciding to make it a requirment that some Fuji product is used and Kodak doing away with the requirment to use Kodak products to be eligible. I think it's all pretty ironic.
Keith

"The slow one now
Will later be fast
As the present now
Will later be past...
And the first one now
Will later be last" - Bobby Dylan

Keith_A_Howe
03-13-2007, 07:48 PM
Don't have a Kodak Elite - but between Holly & I we do have ten of the Gallery awards. My friend dwight Okamoto from Hawaii has like 30 or more Gallery awards and several Gallery Elite. Just as a note of interest - 10 or 12 years ago one of my Gallery Awards got dropped and cracked. A that time they were made by Tiffany's and the cost to replace one was $250. I'd hate to think what they cost now.

Keith

D._Craig_Flory
03-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Hi group;

I used to see both companies bend over backwards to pros. Then I saw Kodak start to fire their reps. They used to come to all of our 3 two day meetings as well as the annual convention trade show. Now they only come to the trade show.

Fuji kept a rep coming to all of our meetings till they let him go about two years ago .... now he works for a color lab.

Since both companies have virtually abandoned pros, I guess now they want to cut down on how much they spend on awards too so the ceiling was raised on criteria for winning.

George_Hawkins
03-14-2007, 02:42 AM
Instead of trying to remember and specualate, I think the current print committee chairs will have the phraseology of the award and the description of the requirements. Last I heard, there was no requirement of product.
The word excellence was in one award.

Contact your respective association, or PPA print chair.

George

Joe_Galioto
03-14-2007, 02:47 PM
hello mark,
yeah i got the black one - i think i'm the only one in nj. it was presented at ppa convention in chaicago by the ceo of kodak.
i sleep with mine.
joe

D._Craig_Flory
03-14-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi Joe;

I'll have to ask Al DiCampli and John Miele if you walked a foot off the ground after getting that . :p I wonder if Andy Torre ever got that one ?

Michael_Gan
03-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Kodak doesn't have any product designations to the Gallery award. My wife, Leslie, received one this year and the entry clearly stated that there are no restrictions for entering in this award. Fuji Masterpiece required that you either used a Fuji Camera, or had the image made with Fuji paper, or the image was created with Fuji Film. The criteria is a minimum of an 85 score.

As a comment, Kodak is about to hang themselves. They are currently caught in a quicksand situation where the harder they struggle, the more they fail. At the Western States, they bought a booth and told their reps less than a month before the convention to man the booth. It was one of the most pathetic looking booths in a prime spot of the trade show floor and I think they would have been embarrassed if the powers that be saw the booth.

What was really insulting is that their reps made no effort to present the Gallery award to the recipients at the awards ceremony, of which 250 convention goers attended! Fuji was there to present their award. Poorly played Kodak, your workers must know that they are going to be out of a job soon.

Marc_Benjamin
03-15-2007, 01:17 AM
As a comment, Kodak is about to hang themselves. They are currently caught in a quicksand situation where the harder they struggle, the more they fail.

Gosh, I wish that the gallery awards will be around long enough for me to get one.

What was really insulting is that their reps made no effort to present the Gallery award to the recipients at the awards ceremony, of which 250 convention goers attended! Fuji was there to present their award. Poorly played Kodak, your workers must know that they are going to be out of a job soon.

Speaking of reps, whatever happened to the Kodak guy w/ the long surfer dude hair? He used to give out tons of the Kodak injet paper and I havent seen him lately.

D._Craig_Flory
03-15-2007, 01:24 PM
Hi group;

Here in Pennsylvania, we have our annual convention, trade show, and print competition the end of April. Since Fuji let go the rep, who always came to our meetings and convention, I have no idea who will present any Masterpiece Awards.

John_Stein
03-15-2007, 02:25 PM
We had the Maryland Convention the last week of january, not only did we not have any reps from Kodak or Fuji present at the banquet the Masterpiece awards didn't even make it. they were suppose to be in the mail.

Keith_A_Howe
03-15-2007, 02:35 PM
What was really insulting is that their reps made no effort to present the Gallery award to the recipients at the awards ceremony, of which 250 convention goers attended! Fuji was there to present their award.

I know that several times in Nebraska the Kodak rep declined to present the awards. He said to have the print chairman present it along with the rest of awards. It was because he wanted to NOT come off as using it as an opportunity to advertise and promote Kodak and instead make it about the reciepient - I got this directly from him. This was at the time Fuji reps were always making such a big deal about how they didn't require the use of Fuji products and they just wanted award great images no matter what product was used. So while it probably was as Micheal said - a lack of interest in this case- the motive for not presenting the awards could also have been something entirely different. I have always felt it tacky on Fujis part to copy Kodak in the first place. If they wanted to honor great professional work they could have found another way then copying the Gallery Award program.

Jeff_Dachowski
03-15-2007, 04:11 PM
This is what I understand about the Kodak, and Fuji awards:

As presented to me at state and National conventions.

Fuji awards to date: 0
Kodak awards to date: 0

Jeff

Dan_Leary
03-15-2007, 08:16 PM
This is what I understand about the Kodak, and Fuji awards:

As presented to me at state and National conventions.

Fuji awards to date: 0
Kodak awards to date: 0

Jeff

That is hilarious... I think I tinkled a little laughing so hard.

Don_Chick
03-16-2007, 07:46 PM
I always have my prints made on Kodak paper as I like the look of the Kodak award better...

D._Craig_Flory
03-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Hi Don;

The only two greens I like are folding money and the Philadelphia Eagles midnight green.

Mark_McCall
04-06-2007, 04:01 PM
The new Fuji award looks like a brick with the letters FUJI taking up the entire facia. LOL.
The old award looked much classier, but they kept falling apart.

At SWPPA in March, Fuji asked us to ship all of their award back. We didn't award a single one. I don't think that came from the marketing dept. LOL.

Don's right...the Kodak Gallery is much sleeker.

Keith_A_Howe
04-10-2007, 05:40 AM
Mark, both kodak and fuji ask that all of the awards that are not present be returned... makes sence so that they know where they are. Fuji did raise the min. score so it is harder to win.. maybe that is why none were awarded.
Keith

Marc_Benjamin
04-10-2007, 05:49 AM
Hi Everyone,

I wonder why Fuji wants min of 85 at Western States though only asks for 80 at HOA?

Also, Kodak this year started giving out gallery type awards at WPPI for highest averages case or something like that.

Mark_McCall
04-10-2007, 06:03 AM
Mark, both kodak and fuji ask that all of the awards that are not present be returned... makes sence so that they know where they are. Fuji did raise the min. score so it is harder to win.. maybe that is why none were awarded.
Keith

You are correct. Qualifying scores were raised, and unawarded trophies are sent back.
But several prints met the criteria.
I'm on the board of TPPA, we hosted the convention and Affiliated Print Competition. We also videotaped the print competition for the website, that I also maintain.
(we voted not to use the words "hosted" in our board meeting BTW).

Since a Fuji rep did not attend the convention, there was a huge rush to contact them before the awards banquet to try and get the verification stickers, which of course, did not arrive.