PDA

View Full Version : "Retire Early"

Heather_L._Smith
03-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Okay, I've been sitting on this print for a couple of years and started thinking it was time to dust it off and try it in competition.

Would love your very honest, brutal comments... I'm tired of 78's and 79's, so if it's not going to cut it, please tell me.

Cheers,
Heather

Dave_Cisco
03-12-2007, 09:15 PM
I don't think so...the first thing I saw was that the horizon goes through the middle of the imageand colors not saturated.

Heather_L._Smith
03-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Dave - thanks for your comments.

Yeah - I've had a problem with that horizon. The boat sits in the 3rd quad now - would it make a difference if I moved the boat up to the 1st quad so that the horizon doesn't cut through the middle? Would that matter?

I'm surprised about the saturation - it was pretty saturated to begin with, and I even bumped it up a bit.

Cheers,
Heather

Heather_L._Smith
03-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Here it is with the image moved... although I don't think it helps.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/heathersmith75/RetireEarly2.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
03-12-2007, 10:12 PM
Dave - thanks for your comments.

Yeah - I've had a problem with that horizon. The boat sits in the 3rd quad now - would it make a difference if I moved the boat up to the 1st quad so that the horizon doesn't cut through the middle? Would that matter?

I'm surprised about the saturation - it was pretty saturated to begin with, and I even bumped it up a bit.

Cheers,
Heather

Hi Heather;

Moving the subject layer does not move the horizon line. It still goes above the wheelhouse. Dave was talking about the sky horizon.

I think if you present this well it can go high 70's Who knows, if a judge loves to fish you might get someone fighting for it. Here is my version.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/RetireEarlyEnhanced.jpg

Betty_Huth
03-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Heather,

I liked the image the first way best. It is a cliff hanger, but I wouldn't give eup on it. Move it down so that the amount of mat is the same on the sides and bottom, maybe try different underlay colors and/or maybe try sizing the image just a little smaller. The resizing and moving down takes the horizon out the middle. If you try to saturate it more, be careful not to lose the detail in the body of the boat.

You can always use this image as the filler for a case and see how it does, or try a more local competition before you send to National.I would not give up on it totally.

Betty_Huth
03-12-2007, 10:22 PM
D.Criag's Silhouette looks good and that was the size I was thinking. Maybe move it all down and to left corner. Would do high 70's and maybe even squeek over into 80. Like I said, use as a filler if you need one.

Heather_L._Smith
03-12-2007, 10:39 PM
Thanks, guys! I'm not okay with high 70's anymore, so I may put this one aside and save it in the event I need an extra to fill a case. Like I said, I've been sitting on this for a couple of years, and I must say that I'm really glad to get the feedback via this forum rather than hearing the dreaded '78!' called out.

Thanks for the feedback. I just haven't gotten competition figured out yet, so we'll keep working on it!

Dan_Leary
03-12-2007, 11:44 PM
Heather,
I am just the voice of sympathy here... last year I got FOUR 79's and two 78's. And every image that got a 79 pretty much had the judges divided right down the middle. I think all but one was challenged and re-scored. Misery I tell you. I can tell you one thing that helped was a Super Monday class on competition prints. I'm sure their has to be one close to you. For what it's worth, keep pluggin' away... eventually things will go your way.

Jerry_W._Kelley
03-13-2007, 12:12 AM
Here it is with the image moved... although I don't think it helps.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s37/heathersmith75/RetireEarly2.jpg

Heather,

Compare this image with the one above, you should be able to see a difference in color satuation, al I did was to change the color space to sRGB from Adobe RGB. When you post your photos on the web and you want them to show the same as they looked in PS you need to convert to sRGB color space.

Jerry

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/168/419335468_9b8e6e5fac_o.jpg

Heather_L._Smith
03-13-2007, 02:08 AM
OH!!!!!!!! OF COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, I knew that, I just forgot!!

Thanks!

Dave_Cisco
03-13-2007, 02:34 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I just haven't gotten competition figured out yet, so we'll keep working on it!

Beware..
Once you think you have it figured out, you will be treated to a reality check..:) I was.:D :D

Dave_Cisco
03-13-2007, 02:38 AM
Heather,

Compare this image with the one above, you should be able to see a difference in color satuation, al I did was to change the color space to sRGB from Adobe RGB. When you post your photos on the web and you want them to show the same as they looked in PS you need to convert to sRGB color space.

Jerry

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/168/419335468_9b8e6e5fac_o.jpg

The color is "richer" here..not muddy at all..can even see color through the boat cabin..much more interesting.:)

Ron_Jackson
03-17-2007, 02:31 AM
Heather I think you are on the right track and I see your reasons for loving this image so much. Mostly I think the consensus is the horizon and saturation. You really can't fix the horizon by just moving it around in a step mount. I took the liberty of just adding more sky and the I did add a bit more room on the left because the boat was just so close to the edge. I did manipulate the saturation a bit as well.

Go rent any movie that John Ford directed such as "The Searchers" and notice that he never ever has a horizon even close to the center. He was a master at incredible composition and well worth studying.

I hope you don't mind me messing with your image to make a point. It's just my humble opinion and I do like your image.
Ron

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l293/voodoomagic_2006/Retire_Early_Ron.jpg

Heather_L._Smith
03-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks, Ron! I'm always on the lookout for places to find inspiration, so I'm going to rent the movie you suggested :-)

I like what you've done with the image - and I really appreciate that you took the time to do so! I just love this forum because, honestly, I really would rather hear "no - don't enter this one" from you guys than from a panel of judges at a competition. I've gotten enought 78's and 79's to know that I don't want to enter something that has a possiblity of sqeaking out an 80 - I'm aiming a lot higher than that, and it's just going to take more practice and more work.

For the time being, this image looks great hanging in my office. I can stare at it all day long, but I now know that it's final destination will be hanging in my office, not hanging at nationals :-)

And I'm okay with that!

Thanks again for all your feedback!! I've got to get my fanny in gear and get some others worked up and post those - see where we go from there!

Thanks a million, guys.

Cheers,
Heather

Ron_Jackson
03-17-2007, 08:36 PM
Heather I just love your attitude! You go girl! Anyone who is that accepting and that anxious to learn is definitely someone I want to help any way I can.

Ron

Heather_L._Smith
03-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Thanks, Ron. I figure that the better I get, the better product I can deliver to my clients - and that's why we're here, right? I remember hearing someone say that something you sell to 'mom' isn't necessarily competition worthy, but something that's competition worthy will likely make 'mom' cry... and THAT's what I'm after :-)

Thanks again for all the posts on this one!

Ron_Jackson
03-18-2007, 12:44 AM
Well put Heather. I have always told people that I asked to critique my work, "If I want to hear nice things about my images, I will ask my mother. Otherwise, I just want your truth and you don't have to sugar coat it."