PDA

View Full Version : Shhh, Don't tell Gary!

Anne_LeBouton
03-09-2007, 07:40 PM
I've been trying to get Gary to enter this picture in competition. He entered it at the local level and one photographer (who I know hates cats) talked it down from what it intially scored. We had titled it: "Who me, I didn't do it!" Comments please.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j240/LeBouton/skeetercomp.jpg

Don_Chick
03-09-2007, 09:13 PM
That judge shouldn't be asked back!

Just because you have a personal bias for or against a subject matter (whatever it is) shouldn't prevent you from evaluating/judging an image properly.

D._Craig_Flory
03-09-2007, 09:20 PM
That judge shouldn't be asked back!

Just because you have a personal bias for or against a subject matter (whatever it is) shouldn't prevent you from evaluating/judging an image properly.

Hi Don;

I remember years ago hearing a judge say they gave a low score because ... (fill in the blank ... cats, dogs, children etc.) PPA has been weeding them out. You will not see an opinion, like that, in a judging where they must be an affiliated judge. So if that was a state judging, I hope the print master chewed them out royally and the Assn. banned them from coming back.

Anne_LeBouton
03-10-2007, 12:15 AM
Actually, it was at our local regional, which has print competition at our bimonthly meeting. We do have rules but it's pretty informal. The judges are picked from member who attend and many aren't trained judges. This one, however was.

However, that's not why I posted this. I really want to hear your honest opinions on the image. So, what do you think? I'd like to have him consider it for entering into National.

Dave_Higgins
03-10-2007, 04:23 AM
Anne,

The first thing that grabbed me was the eyes. The second thing I noticed was the coordination of the color of the eyes with the background. I assume the original print has detail in the dark area of the cat's back.

Maybe move the cat a little to the left. I tried to visualize a Bakker Saddle and moving slightly to the left would put the upper eye very close to the intersection of the saddle. The move would also lessen the appearance of the image crowding the right side.

I cannot really tell but the catch light in the upper eye looks like it is obscuring the the pupil and it gives the eye a funny look.

I like the negative space to the left of the cat. I think it is what makes the title because the immediate assumtion is that someone or something is right out of the frame.

Anne, I wanted to try my hand at a critique to see if I have been learning anything from the folks here on the forum. This was done mostly as an exercise for myself but I think Gary should go for it and enter the image. I am totally unqualified to say how it would score. Would someone care to critique my critique?:)

BTW, this is from someone not totally in love with cats. I am allergic to cat dander.:)

Anne_LeBouton
03-10-2007, 12:59 PM
The final print actually has more space to the right of the cat. It got cut off on that side a bit when I scanned the proof print. :) I'll have to look at the catchlight closer and see. There is good detail in the fur. One Master photographer we know who specializes in pets thought it had potential.

D._Craig_Flory
03-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Hi Anne;

I've been trying ... racking my brain, to find a presentation for this image. Here is what I came up with. I flipped the image layer and made the matte a horizontal. I rotated the image layer some and put it around the 1st quadrant. I enhanced it using several adjustment layers. I call it "Panther Dreaming". I think every house cat has that jungle cat inside waiting to happen.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/PantherDreaming.jpg

Anne_LeBouton
03-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Interesting. He does look like a panther in real life, very sleek. The cat, by the way, is one of mine. His name is Skeeter. He's almost all black except for one large white spot on his belly.

Betty_Huth
03-11-2007, 03:36 AM
Anne,

I like what Craig ( I assume that is what you go by) did with the image. It definitely has more impact that way. You might try using lens blur to blur the background some to soften the folds in the background. The important thing about competition is - remember it is a game. You must choose to play the game and two panels may be quite different in their scores. On the National level, I will say, that panels do tend to stay pretty close to the same. If there is a doubt, at the National level, it can be sent to another panel and the highest score prevails. Good luck.

Anne_LeBouton
03-11-2007, 04:29 AM
What about a circular crop? Do you think that would work?

Betty_Huth
03-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Anne,
In this case, my personal feeling is that the square on the rectangle works better. Round gives a feeling of softness and this particular subject somehow doesn't feel like that to me. Remember, Impact is what counts first. It has got to have that impact to get the judges to stop and tke a second look.

Dave_Higgins
03-11-2007, 03:02 PM
Anne,

I agree with Betty. I vizualized an oval crop when I was doing my original critique and couldn't make it work in my mind. The oval would have had to have been to big to allow for the space needed as the cat looked over the shoulder. To me it seemed the oval shape would have dominated the composition.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,