PDA

View Full Version : fellow photographer

Linda_Gregory
03-07-2007, 03:23 PM
Wishes advice on this for an entry. It is really neat, gets lots of comments and stares but how will it do in competition and is there a way to crop it to get it better?

Please, as always, be honest.

It was taken in a park and is a drinking fountain with a fall colored leaf in the bowl of the fountain.

Linda_Gregory
03-07-2007, 03:24 PM
Here's another view with less crop.

Heather_L._Smith
03-07-2007, 03:49 PM
I personally like the more generous crop (the 2nd image) - I honestly thought of something completely different when I saw the first image...

Andrea_Chapelo
03-07-2007, 03:56 PM
I personally like the more generous crop (the 2nd image) - I honestly thought of something completely different when I saw the first image...

I agree with Heather, I like number 2 better and my mind went somewhere else with the first one.:o

D._Craig_Flory
03-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Hi Linda;

This is how I see this image... flipped. I blurred part of the fountain so the main subject became more important. I hope all changes give you some good ideas.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/twoEnhanced.jpg

Linda_Gregory
03-07-2007, 04:21 PM
She says THANKS! And we agree with the first, just were looking for alternatives.

D. Craig, your flip does look good.

Now, is this a worthy image? We like it but are we too close to it?

Oh....and the ever present title issue, any suggestions anyone?

Linda

D._Craig_Flory
03-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi Linda;

I'll keep thinking. For a start ... "Copper Curves".

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
03-07-2007, 04:30 PM
erotic metal....

D._Craig_Flory
03-07-2007, 04:38 PM
erotic metal....

Hi Sue Ellen;

Your mind must work the same as Andrea's. I hope she reads your title idea. :D

Robin_Arkenberg
03-07-2007, 04:43 PM
Title: "Golden Thirst"

Robin

Mark_Levesque
03-07-2007, 05:11 PM
"Not a bidet" :D LOL

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of drug paraphernalia.

Andrea_Chapelo
03-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Hi Sue Ellen;

Your mind must work the same as Andrea's. I hope she reads your title idea. :D

Sorry Sue Ellen, You are being associated with my inappropriate thought:eek:

But your title is about right on where my mind was at:oLOL

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
03-07-2007, 06:56 PM
my inappropriate thought:

I want to know who said it was inappropriate? :)

Valerie_Harte
03-07-2007, 07:00 PM
I think erotic metal is definitely the title... or it must be the phase of the moon because that's where my mind went too.... and more so with the first crop. Which would make it uniquw,different, and impactful... because I didn't see too many copper... umm... ummm... drinking fountains in the collections last year. LOL And I guess it doesn't really need "room to grow" hahahaha.... sorry, I couldn't resist.

John_Knowles
03-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Goldmember?

D._Craig_Flory
03-07-2007, 08:08 PM
Hi John;

Would she have to pay Mike Myers a royalty to use that title ? And would Mini-Me have to also agree ? :D :p :D

John_Knowles
03-07-2007, 10:21 PM
Oh behave. Yeah Baby!

Heather_L._Smith
03-08-2007, 02:59 AM
oh my heck... I think I might pee my pants. This thread is too funny.

I'm just glad to know that I'm not the only one with my mind in the gutter. Maybe I shouldn't be glad to know that... !

I definitely like the flip and the blur.

Linda_Gregory
03-09-2007, 08:30 PM
She's given me another one, it's been in her head to do for quite awhile so now it's done.

Thoughts? She's titled it Obligations and it may give an insight into her life right now!

D._Craig_Flory
03-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Hi Linda;

I looked and looked and finally came up with this. I made about 5 extra layers of the image layer. I positioned them from bottom left to upper right. The top right (3rd quadrant) is full opacity. Each layer down had the opacity lowered. I also blurred all but the top right layer. And my idea for the title is a one word title of "Torment". Now that I posted on here I really can't see much of the other layers but that was my intent.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/Torment.jpg

Linda_Gregory
03-09-2007, 09:18 PM
Thank you, D Craig, I agree, the title "Obligations" isn't strong enough for this.

Do you have an opinion on how well this could do in competition? She's a photographer's intern and has so many ideas that are fabulous, it's just competition has boundaries she may need to learn.

D._Craig_Flory
03-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Hi Linda;

I'd like to see a larger version. I enlarged it in the version I posted but it was tough to see how much detail was present.

I think it's a different enough concept that a good title & presentation could get it at least into the mid to high 70's and who knows from there.

Do you like my title ? I went with "Torment" because I saw the many hands as how someone can be pulled in many directions leading to a tormented mind.