PDA

View Full Version : Does Pink Make My Eyes Look Big?

Valerie_Harte
03-07-2007, 04:46 AM
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/vharte/DoesPinkMakeMyEyesLookBigsmall.jpg

Ok... CC really needed... thinking of using this one for SEPPA.

Mark_Turner
03-07-2007, 12:29 PM
Very cute, but the one dimensional light will hurt you in competition, as well as the bow in her hair. You can remove that though. Also remove the feather on her left shoulder, and the little piece you see coming out of the right side of her head. There is the impact I think that will make judges look at it, and that is coming from her eyes. I like the title that makes you look at her eyes, but wonder if it is too long?

I'm sure the judges that hang out here can give a better opinion too.

D._Craig_Flory
03-07-2007, 02:07 PM
Hi Valerie;

I see this as a horizontal presentation. You had the subject layer way too big ... "kids need room to grow" in an image. I moved the subject layer to the 2nd quadrant. And I didn't like how much the feather boa was screaming for attention, away from her face so I changed the background shade. I hope this gives you some ideas. Oh ... too long a title. One word titles do well. How about "Sophisticated" ?

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/DoesPinkMakeMyEyesLookBigsmallEnhan.jpg

Valerie_Harte
03-07-2007, 02:34 PM
thanks Mark and Craig, I'll Keep working on it. I have been trying to come up with a short title that fits and so far the only thing I can come up with is Holy S#%#% but I didn't think that would fly in competition. LOL. Something that draws attention to the eyes and yet explains the look on her face....

The horizonatal presentation is an interesting twist. I definitely didn't see it that way to begin with but I think I am going to play with it. I did like your retake on my ballerina print and while it was too late for State it may make the 4 for SEPPA. I actually have a little time to work on my prints this time....so.... more postings to come.

Mark_Turner
03-07-2007, 02:51 PM
I'd put her in the lower RH on a black board. It would draw attention directly to her, and give the needed space above her head.

Valerie_Harte
03-08-2007, 03:12 AM
Ok... took 2 spots of hot pink out I am not sure I got the right one on the left shoulder- were you talking about the one facing up or down? maybe I should have removed them both?

Anyway... I didn't have enough hair (or maybe enough graphic art talent :D ) to remove the bow and have it look right so I colored it to blend a bit and still tied in with the pearls. Does it help?

Put it on a black background, struggled with the placement.

Quick question: I have been struggling with the room to grow concept. I get it when the subject is a full length but don't understand when to and when not to on a cropped in shot like this. I watched the judging at states and looked through the blues and some were and some weren't- :rolleyes: no help... maybe the ones that weren't would have scored higher if they had been???? Would love to know where to look to read more about it.

Ok... here is v2.. ok... actually like 5 but v2 for this thread. :o
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/vharte/DoesPinkMakeMyEyesLookBig5small.jpg

Mark_Turner
03-08-2007, 12:43 PM
I would not tilt her. There's no reason for the tilt. See if there is someone at your lab to remove the bow. I think i see where you tried to remove the pink coming out of the right side of her head. Her right your left. I was talking about the piece of feather that is on her left shoulder. The big piece coming in from the top. The lighting is still going to take points off, and I hope an actual judge might comment, so you can know if it is potentially a competition print or not.

D._Craig_Flory
03-08-2007, 02:14 PM
Hi Valarie;

Your latest version has her too low and too far right. I'm posting yours with my composition grid on top (with lowered opacity so you can see the image and a white dot on the 3rd quadrant. The other is with the subject layer in a better position and smaller. Once again the subject layer was a bit too big.

I don't see it getting a score of 80+. (I have been a print judge btw) But competition is for learning. If you didn't have 4 dynamite images I'd enter it. Be sure to have it talked about during the print critiques. And, if you get a ribbon of any sort call your client so they know they have an award winning child. I can see it getting a mid-70's score.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/Positioning.jpg

Mark_Turner
03-08-2007, 02:44 PM
I worked on it a little...

D._Craig_Flory
03-08-2007, 02:47 PM
Hi Valarie;

Here is my final suggestion. I agree with Mark about not tilting.

I took out the bow and the bright pink feather on her shoulder. (not too hard ... it too me 10 minutes)

I used a very slim accent line chosen from the background. I put the subject layer on the 2nd quadrant. And I added a new transparent layer and added an additional accent line.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/DoesPinkMakeMyEyesLookBigFinalSugge.jpg

Valerie_Harte
03-08-2007, 02:58 PM
You guys are too good. Yes... I like it better straight... and am amazed at how well you did the bow removal. I am usually pretty good at that sort of thing but I just couldn't make it work. I am going through my other images now. About to post one with no work to see if its better...

The images I entered at states all got whites and yep, I gave them to the clients with the ribbon on except one that was related and my sister can win her own ribbon LOL....I am only reworking 3 of the 6 (printing was last minute and bad on top of rework needed....) so I am looking for 3 more so I can narrow it down to 4 better ones. Anyway my sister went with me and suggested this one for impact. I'm still looking. All the ones in my "folder" are just "not there" because I was looking for the wrong things.

Valerie_Harte
03-08-2007, 03:00 PM
PS- Craig can you help with my question about "room to grow"? I thought I understood the need for it heading to states but looking at scores on prints with no room to grow I came up with a new question- when would you NOT give a child room to grow?

D._Craig_Flory
03-08-2007, 04:09 PM
PS- Craig can you help with my question about "room to grow"? I thought I understood the need for it heading to states but looking at scores on prints with no room to grow I came up with a new question- when would you NOT give a child room to grow?

Hi Valarie;

It has been pounded into my head for many many decades that kids and young pets need room around the show they are not adults but tiny people. ("pets are people too" *S*) So I never ever make a child big in a presentation. Also, let's put into perspective size. It is one thing to see images on a monitor. But, competition prints are 16X20 and 20X16. A child's head should never approach life size, or bigger than life. So this is where the "room to grow' comes in. When in doubt, make them smaller.

D._Craig_Flory
03-08-2007, 04:14 PM
[QUOTE=Valerie Harte;64227]You guys are too good. Yes... I like it better straight... and am amazed at how well you did the bow removal.

Hi Valarie;

There are more ways to remove, or cover up, than just the clone tool, healing brush, patch tool & other frequently used things. What I did was make a dupe image (not dupe layer). I used the lasso tool to select hair and then did a drag and drop. I added a layer mask in hide all at about 60% and used a white brush to let it show. I did this about 3 times from various parts of her hair till it looked natural.

Valerie_Harte
03-08-2007, 04:27 PM
[QUOTE=Valerie Harte;64227]You guys are too good. Yes... I like it better straight... and am amazed at how well you did the bow removal.

Hi Valarie;

There are more ways to remove, or cover up, than just the clone tool, healing brush, patch tool & other frequently used things. What I did was make a dupe image (not dupe layer). I used the lasso tool to select hair and then did a drag and drop. I added a layer mask in hide all at about 60% and used a white brush to let it show. I did this about 3 times from various parts of her hair till it looked natural.

You rock! I am defiitely going to try that myself even if I don't use the image to add another tool to the kit. :D Thank you.

Also, thank you for clearing up the room to grow thing. It sounds like maybe some of the judges at our competition just didn't share the same view- there were definitely kids heads that were larger than life that did well. You never know who the judges will be so I am going to try and stick to the safe side... again, thank you.