PDA

View Full Version : Competition prints at WHCC

Roger_Williams
03-05-2007, 07:11 PM
OK, I going to enter 2 prints in the Illinois state convention print competition. This is expected to be a learning experience for me, nothing more since I have never competed before. I watched last year for a while but was really more interested in the seminars.

I know the print needs to be 16x20, mounted but is there anything else I need to know to order a competition quality print. WHCC has this to say,
"All competition prints are printed on Kodak Professional Glossy or Metallic paper, which negates the need to add a high gloss spray or laminate to your images. We will mount your prints on black or white competition thickness foamboard. No further handling, simply submit prints for competition."

Soooo, do I just send them the print file, tell them I want a competition 16x20 on Metallic paper on black foamboard, NO spray or laminate? Is it really that easy?:rolleyes:

Thanks for any advice you care to offer.

Roger

Dan_Leary
03-05-2007, 07:17 PM
Roger,
Yes, pretty much, it is that easy. They do NOT density correct for comp prints, so you will need to do that knowing that these images are going to appear brighter under the judging lamps. I think Keith Howe posted a thread on here awhile back about how he darkened comp prints sent to WHCC. I think. Anyways, I reccomend using their ROES software to order the prints... it's fast, easy and self explanatory. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

D._Craig_Flory
03-05-2007, 07:25 PM
Hi Roger;

Do NOT enter prints that are not sprayed !!! Fingerprints & scratches really show under judging mini-spots.

I get all of my competition prints mounted on black core gator-foam. (NOT foam-core)

You will need a print case. Invest in a good one that will hold up and survive any time you ship your images.

If you have time, what I do is send 8x10 files first.(unmounted) When back, I review to see if I need to make any changes. Then I send the full 16X20 files.

Sit in on the judging as well as a print critique. You can't talk in the competition but you can listen and make mental notes. At a critique, you can give the print handler one or two of your images for a Master to point what took off points and what could have made it better.

Once more .... have your prints sprayed with hi-gloss spray !!!

Jackie_Haggerty
03-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Hi Roger!

I'll see you there at APPI! Call me if you would like, I had a fun experience with WHCC......

Jeff_Dachowski
03-05-2007, 08:22 PM
I have had many prints done at WHCC and never had them sprayed. You can if yo uwant, but it is not required, and in many cases not necessary. Not to disagree with Craig, I think this is how things used to be, and they are really pretty glossy to begin with. Judges are not supposed to "take away" for a slight fingerprint, or a normal handling scratch.
Jeff

Jackie_Haggerty
03-05-2007, 08:26 PM
Be sure to request the edges be blacked out... I forgot to to do that on a few of mine.... had to go out in a blizzard for a new black sharpie....

D._Craig_Flory
03-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Be sure to request the edges be blacked out... I forgot to to do that on a few of mine.... had to go out in a blizzard for a new black sharpie....

Hi Jackie;

I never need to use an El Marko or Sharpie since I have my images mounted on Black Core Gator-Foam. The edges are already black.

Not to disagree back Jeff but ... a photographer, on here, had a thread recently asking about scratches. I believe she ended up having them re-printed. With several coats of lacquer (I usually put on about three coats of hi-gloss in my spray booth) any small scratches are likely in the lacquer so a new coat can cover it.

Roger_Williams
03-05-2007, 08:54 PM

Are you going to wear the sunglasses at the convention so I'll be able to find you?:rolleyes: Same for David Lottes?:D

Jackie_Haggerty
03-05-2007, 08:58 PM
Well, Roger how about we just meet up and we get a new avatar for YOU?!

I am sure Dave and I will hook up at the convention....since we are planning the revolution and all. Are you doing any of the lunch programs? Maybe we can do lunch?

David_A._Lottes
03-05-2007, 09:07 PM
....since we are planning the revolution and all.

Viva!
See you there!

Roger_Williams
03-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Well, Roger how about we just meet up and we get a new avatar for YOU?!

I am sure Dave and I will hook up at the convention....since we are planning the revolution and all. Are you doing any of the lunch programs? Maybe we can do lunch?

Not planning on any of the lunch programs but will be there from start to finish otherwise. I will also be there on Sat. as my chief saleswomen (my wife) will be attending the Sat.seminar. I figured Sat. would be a good time to donate my time to help out with whatever they need.:) :)

David_A._Lottes
03-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Are you going to wear the sunglasses at the convention so I'll be able to find you?:rolleyes: Same for David Lottes?:D

As Sean Connery said in the movie Russia House, "I'll be the one who looks like a large unmade bed".

D._Craig_Flory
03-05-2007, 11:16 PM
Hi group;

I now know why they don't spray competition prints at WHCC. It is NOT because they say the prints don't need sprayed. It's because they don't own a spray booth !!! I have never heard of anything so rediculous in my life. And, they said they have no plans to install a spray booth either.
So, I know of one lab that I'll never use.

JohnHeckler
03-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Hi group;

I now know why they don't spray competition prints at WHCC. It is NOT because they say the prints don't need sprayed. It's because they don't own a spray booth !!! I have never heard of anything so rediculous in my life. And, they said they have no plans to install a spray booth either.
So, I know of one lab that I'll never use.

WHCC prints on a super gloss kodak paper (I don't actually know the exact type or kind) but they claim that they don't need to be sprayed because of that.

I'm not experienced enough to say whether that is a good thing or not, but I did go 3 out of 4 at MES this year using them and did not spray any of mine.