PDA

View Full Version : title suggestions

David_Quisenberry
02-19-2007, 08:01 PM
I am considering my first submission for competition. I took it to a local PPA meeting and it got an 81. It will not crop to an 4x5 so I have floated it on the canvas, but am not sold on that position. Also, I named it scarred for life as their is a large scar on his hand. Judges remarks included having a problem with the watch, suggesting either burn it in more or include it in the title. Im at loss on how to include the scar and watch in a good name. Suggestions, including placement of the image?

http://www.davidquisenberryphotography.com/scar.jpg

Derek_Alvarez
02-19-2007, 08:09 PM
8:15

:) :) :)

D._Craig_Flory
02-19-2007, 08:40 PM
Hi David;

Here's my version. I flipped the image (and then added the time part of the watch going the correct way) I deepened it and made a step-mount with the subject layer much smaller. I hope this helps. Oh ... my title is :
"Time To Rumble".

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/TimeToRumble.jpg

David_Quisenberry
02-19-2007, 08:43 PM
what did you do to reset the time, select and transform?

David_Quisenberry
02-19-2007, 08:44 PM
8:15

:) :) :)

that is kinda subtle, but I like it. Makes them look to see why it was named that.

D._Craig_Flory
02-19-2007, 09:24 PM
what did you do to reset the time, select and transform?

Hi David;

I made a duplicate of the image (not a dupe layer) and then used a rectangular marquee tool to select just the watch face. I had it the original way and not flipped. I dragged it on top and then lowered the opacity to about 60% so I could see the image below ... so I could align it. Then I upped opacity to 100%. Next I added a layer mask in Hide All and used a white brush to reveal the correct watch face.

Don_Eisenhart
02-19-2007, 09:32 PM
Hi David;

I made a duplicate of the image (not a dupe layer) and then used a rectangular marquee tool to select just the watch face. I had it the original way and not flipped. I dragged it on top and then lowered the opacity to about 60% so I could see the image below ... so I could align it. Then I upped opacity to 100%. Next I added a layer mask in Hide All and used a white brush to reveal the correct watch face.

Craig,

I don't know about anyone else, but the amount of effort you put into help folks out here is commendable!

I honestly want to thank you for all of your help!

Don_Eisenhart
02-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Hi David;

Here's my version. I flipped the image (and then added the time part of the watch going the correct way) I deepened it and made a step-mount with the subject layer much smaller. I hope this helps. Oh ... my title is :
"Time To Rumble".

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/TimeToRumble.jpg

Dave,

If you leave this one flipped, it makes you wonder if that is a wedding band on this right hand.

Nylora_Bruleigh
02-19-2007, 10:10 PM
Here in NH we put our wedding bands on the third finger :)

Don_Eisenhart
02-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Here in NH we put our wedding bands on the third finger :)

And, if I was as observant as I claim...

Doh!

But, can you see a judge doing what I just did?

Mark_Levesque
02-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Here in NH we put our wedding bands on the third finger
We even have a clever name for it: the ring finger. ;)

Derek_Alvarez
02-20-2007, 02:13 PM
David

I like the 8:15 idea
but to include the scar idea

Time heals!

Keith_A_Howe
02-20-2007, 02:42 PM
David
Here is my 2 cents worth. "Old enough to know better" "A time for all things"
"Take Time" "Time to consider or contemplate"

I do not see "Rumble" in his body language. I did do a version of your image though. Nothing against D Craig here just a difference of opinion. Here in the United States we read from top Left to lower Right. With the flipped image, you would read into the back of his head, to the eyes then to the lighting on his face to the highlight on his hand and out of the image. With your orginal image direction, the viewer reads into the brightest part of the image - the face, then you follow the composition and body language where the arm then brings you back to the face never leaving the image.

I burned down the background and his arm and hand. I also burned his ear and earing down so it does not distract or lead you to the awkward crop through his ear. I removed his other ear to clean up the line of his face. I burned the shadow side of his face a bit to add strength to the lighting which was very good to begin with. I shrank the image a bit and kept his face in the upper right third.
Good Luck Keith

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/time.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
02-20-2007, 02:43 PM
David

I like the 8:15 idea
but to include the scar idea

Time heals!

I like it.
Keith

Derek_Alvarez
02-20-2007, 02:47 PM
David I think you have a winner:)

Don_Eisenhart
02-20-2007, 03:13 PM
I am not seeing the scar.

Course, I got the ring wrong, too.

Mark_Levesque
02-20-2007, 03:16 PM
It's on the back of his hand.

David_Quisenberry
02-21-2007, 08:50 PM
Diva J of StudioJ suggested Time to Heal as another very good title.

Keith, thanks for your input!

Joe_Galioto
02-22-2007, 02:47 PM
i agree with keith.
why did craig & don flop the image.
the original leeds you right to the face, while in the flipped version, the viewermenters the print and bangs into the back of the head.
what were you guys thinking-enlighten me.
joe