PDA

View Full Version : For Anyone Interested In A Study Group For Cpp

DianeDavis
02-16-2007, 06:46 PM
If you are interested in being a part of the study group for CPP, please do two things:

1. http://ourppa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4613 Read this thread, Thank Betsy for setting it up and then sign up at the site.

2. Meet in the chat room at 1:00 pm Pacific time on Sunday, February 18th.

Please pass it on to everyone you know is interested.

DianeDavis
02-18-2007, 01:35 AM
Just a Reminder.

See you tomorrow, Lori.

Lori_Clapp
02-18-2007, 04:31 AM
I can't wait! I got my book (thanks Karen L.!!) and I've read the first 4 chapters and have already learned a lot! Even if I don't pass the exam, I know I will be better off for having read this book!

See you guys tomorrow - if I can just figure the time out correctly!!

D._Craig_Flory
02-18-2007, 02:49 PM
Hi Lori;

One advantage to living where winter hits hard is lots of time to read and study. Those living in warm spots have the big disadvantage of being able to easily travel. All of the interstates here were totally shut down from Thursday till Saturday. So living in Wyoming has the advantage of big open areas between towns with absolutely nothing in between ... and nothing to travel to see or do. I'm sure you will read that book from cover to cover in no time at all ... there is nothing else to do around there. :p

When you are ready to take the exam, let me know. I already had a photographer, from the Forum, travel here to Pennsylvania to take it from me. So why not come to Pennsylvania to take it ? Jeff Dachowski came down from New Hampshire for our two day meeting and programs last weekend. I'm hoping more will travel here this year.

All kidding aside, you will do just fine. Heck, I gave the exam to a Kodak rep one year and he almost aced it. I gave it to the Fuji rep a few years ago and he had the 5th highest score in the country ! I'm sure you can score better than film reps !!!

Karen_Linsley
02-18-2007, 05:01 PM
That was me that traveled to PA to take the exam! I've always been willing to think outside the box but this one seemed a no brainer to me. Craig was here on the forum, offering help and support everytime I posted, and the liasons at the time in Ca and Nv were not helpful at all (it wasn't Michael Gan). I enjoyed my trip immensely, and passed the exam on the first try!

I did not however pass the image review. It seems there is a dichotomy between the directions for image certification submission and what the folks doing the reviewing are really looking for. I have been told more than once that I must "play the game" in order to have my images pass the certification review. The game being: translate what they say in the directions to what they really want, without any clues. And I am told that what they reallly want more approximates what you would submit for print competition (although not exactly) than what you would give to a client. Which means, just to use one example, instead of perfectly centered images for clients, crop using rule of thirds.

I called the certification person at PPA, she denied there was a dichotomy between the directions and what the reviewing folks really wanted, but the proof is in the pudding. So when you plan your image submission, be sure to take this into account. Do not submit images as you would prepare them for a client, because you won't pass. Submit them prepared as if for print competion and you will do just fine.

Auralee_Dallas
02-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Hi Karen, I commend you for having the courage to post the results on the forum. One thing that I may be wrong on, but I would think the images just had to be created for a client, not necessarily the ones they chose. And I so know what you mean about the client selections being way different than the ones you would consider the best shots. They seem to want to be in the middle of the image, grinning big, with the scenery/golf course/park/ in the background at high noon on a sunny day.
I know from reading some of your posts here and I know you have a strong spirit and will overcome the frustration of this and move forward.

Lori_Clapp
02-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Karen, I also want to thank you for posting here - it's nice to be prepared ahead of time. I'm sure you wil make a lot of us question the images we pick before we send them in. So, while it's no help to you, yet (I'm sure someone will help you understand what they are looking for, I can't do that!), it's a huge help to us who are just starting the process.

And by the way - thank you for the books!!

DianeDavis
02-18-2007, 07:43 PM
them away!!

DianeDavis
02-18-2007, 08:54 PM
to know it.

Tracy_McGee
02-22-2007, 09:59 PM
I missed this post. :( But I also don't have a book yet. I decided to wait for Photography 9.

Andrea_Chapelo
02-22-2007, 10:46 PM
But the new book is supposed to be out soon and I have a gift certificate just waiting to be spent:) I wish I would have seen this post earlier. The test seems awfully scary:eek:

Mark_Levesque
02-23-2007, 12:28 AM
It's not going to be anything too ridiculous (he said, hopefully.) They just want to ensure you know the basics. I'm up to the print chapter (7). If the actual test is anything like the practice questions I don't think there will be any problem passing. What's a passing grade, anyway?

Betsy_Finn
02-23-2007, 01:53 AM
It's not going to be anything too ridiculous (he said, hopefully.) They just want to ensure you know the basics. I'm up to the print chapter (7). If the actual test is anything like the practice questions I don't think there will be any problem passing. What's a passing grade, anyway?

70% to pass .... :D

Karen_Linsley
02-23-2007, 04:09 PM
The written exam is not really scary, just a bit stressful. There are some "trick" questions on there, meaning you have to pay attention to what they are really asking. Consider the questions carefully before you answer.

DianeDavis
02-23-2007, 07:00 PM
Best of luck to all.

Betsy_Finn
02-23-2007, 07:58 PM
If you guys are interested, i can share the calendar we set up for our study group. It was basically week-by-week etc nothing too complicated.

Also, I believe Jackie volunteered the use of her chatroom -- I'll get her to post here!

Art_Wright
02-23-2007, 09:11 PM
Karen, why don't you post your Certification images here, and we can help you choose?

Karen_Linsley
02-24-2007, 04:14 PM
Karen, why don't you post your Certification images here, and we can help you choose?

Thanks Art. I'll take you up on that offer. I have them in a photodex slide show, here's the link:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=2753905&alb=0

You have to download a small (2.6 mb) program to view them, it takes about a minute. If you don't want to view them this way, contact me and I can send you a PDF.

I am primarily a wedding photographer, so the majority of images is weddings.

I've consulted a few trusted friends about the images and consensus seems to be that most of these images will fly if I recrop. Seems the directions in the certification packet weren't totally accurate. While they say they want images created for clients, what they really mean is that they want images presented as if for print comp, not for clients. I cropped everything to dead center, which is what my clients want, so I am in the process of recropping everything, and editing out a few and replacing them with others.

I've been told to take out all the family portraits and not submit anything with more than two people. More people means more to fault the image on.

Anyway, thanks for the offer of help, it is much appreciated.

Sheila_Axelson
02-24-2007, 06:12 PM
"I've been told to take out all the family portraits and not submit anything with more than two people. More people means more to fault the image on."

Sounds curiously similar to competition prints

Karen_Linsley
02-24-2007, 06:46 PM
"I've been told to take out all the family portraits and not submit anything with more than two people. More people means more to fault the image on."

Sounds curiously similar to competition prints

yep...exactly

Auralee_Dallas
02-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Hi Karen,
I just looked at your slide show and some of those images are just gorgeous. A couple of things that occurred to me while looking was that many of the bride and groom together are dead center. Now I know that these are not supposed to be competition images, but I don't think they have to cropped for submission exactly the way the client purchased them. Anyway, yes I think the family portraits might have had some negative influence. It's so hard to do large families. Some of the heads are stacked, and in one, a childs face is barely visible. One thing I did notice was that there was facial shine from your fill flash--at least that is what it looked like on my monitor. I have more comments, but didn't note the numbers of the images. I should go back and look again.

Karen_Linsley
02-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks Auralee....yes, the cropping was the big thing that I've been told I need to change. I started with the raw uncropped files on all those images, and cropped as I would for a client, just like the directions said! Now I'm being told that isn't the way to do it, that I should crop more for print comp, rule of thirds, etc. So I am in the process of recropping now. I appreciate your help.