PDA

View Full Version : Honest Critiques Needed

Nylora_Bruleigh
02-15-2007, 05:48 PM
Okay, this is a first!

Does anyone have any thoughts about this for competition. Don't hold back (just don't pick on the kid...she's mine;) ) I can handle it.

Also, any ideas for a name would be great!

Thanks!

Will_Price
02-15-2007, 06:20 PM
I like the image pretty well, I am not fond of the large red sock in the middle however.

Dave_Cisco
02-15-2007, 06:57 PM
"The kid" is one of the best parts of the image:) .
I think you will have a problem with this, however....the chair is larger and lighter in color than anything else in the scene, and is flat to the camera.

Derek_Alvarez
02-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Nylora,

the image is too busy, and santa is dead center!

I like the idea , it has a lot of potential.

you did say honest right?

Jeff_Dachowski
02-15-2007, 07:22 PM
HI Nylora,
Looking at this I see some challenges.

Here they are. The tree does not have life to it. Were the lights lit? The childs pajamas are almost the same as the chair. which is too bright, and make the child blend in. I also think it needs to be cropped a bit tighter. I think with some work, you could add some life to the tree, and make it a bit more dramatic, and changing the color of the chair really isn't that hard to do. SO in short, you might have something here with a bit of effort. BTW I do like the image. It is a cute idea.
Jeff

Nylora_Bruleigh
02-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Yup! I said Honest! How else do you improve, right???

Thanks to everyone for their opinions up to this point, anyone else have any further thoughts?

Derek, "good potential" I appreciate- any thoughts on where to go from here?

p.s. just as a side bar: I used one of Norman Rockwell's "Santa images" as my inspiration- his was a white background. knowing that, are there any other recomendations to improve it or do I leave it out of competition all together? :confused:

Tony_McDaniel
02-15-2007, 07:46 PM
I played a bit with it. Toned down the red stocking and changed the chair color to blue (with Levels, Hue & Saturation, and Curves).
http://www.tonymcdanielphoto.com/shared/nylora.jpg
How about "He sees you when you're sleeping." as a title?

Nylora_Bruleigh
02-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Jeff, this is what I did with your suggestions: tighter crop, added lights to tree and darkened chair?!

Tony, LOVE the name, not sure if I like the blue chair, but I am still listening.

Would you all beleive that I got he chair 3 days BEFORE Santa came and re-upholstered it for the day? I should have checked with you all first! :)

Tony_McDaniel
02-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Can you post bigger images? It's hard to see much in such a small image.

Nylora_Bruleigh
02-15-2007, 08:09 PM
I am trying to make it bigger let's see if this works.
I think it is getting kind of pixelated but will try.
sorry

Nylora_Bruleigh
02-15-2007, 08:28 PM
Trying again...

Jeff_Dachowski
02-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Nylora,
I think you are getting closer. One thing I would try is to eliminate the face of the clock altogether. We always read clock when visible, so maybe it won't be disctracting if you can only see half or a third of it? ALso try changing the pj's to red. See where your eyes go when you do that. And yes I understand...we can't always have the choice of clothing or chair covering when we shoot. I think you did a fine job, and I am not trying to pick, it's just that I want to see this hanging blue in APril!!!
Jeff

Nylora_Bruleigh
02-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Jeff,

Like this?

Jeff_Dachowski
02-15-2007, 10:40 PM
Nylora,
I think you are much closer than before. Do you see how the child is the focus here instead of the set? I can't tell print quality here, but printed right this could hang quite nicely. What do you think about all of the changes?
Jeff

Nylora_Bruleigh
02-16-2007, 04:48 AM
Hey Jeff!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I like the closer crop, I will play wth the color of the jammies a little more. Still not sure about the clock although I understand from a judges point of view what you are saying about the distraction.

I know the other night at the meeting you were saying how sometime merit prints don't sll to the client and sometimes the images that the clients LOVE don't do well at competition but it doesn't make things any easier!

I really just wanted some advise from everyone because I am very attached to this image (yes, partly because it is my daughter)! So I wanted some outside opinions. So Thanks to everyone who offered upi suggestions!

I am officially a Forum Junkie!!!

:rolleyes:

Kathy_Malaspina
02-16-2007, 06:43 AM
Nylora, Great idea, the Santa is excellent and your daughter is beautiful.