PDA

View Full Version : The Ying Yang Twins - for Mid East comp

JohnHeckler
02-15-2007, 03:55 AM
Ok, I think most of you have already seen this, but here is my presentation for print comp on this one. If you have any input, it would be greatly appreciated as I will likely send this one tomorrow to be printed.

I know it has a rather centered composition but my thought here is that it is so symmetrical that the centered composition should work, yes? No? :p

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/jthphotography/2007%20Mid%20East%20Print%20Comp/Ying-YangTwins10x8-72dpi.jpg

Marc_Benjamin
02-15-2007, 04:09 AM
Hey John,

more coments later, but for now let's talk about that gradient... Have you seen how that shows up on paper? I think it's gonna show some banding.

JohnHeckler
02-15-2007, 04:14 AM
Hey John,

more coments later, but for now let's talk about that gradient... Have you seen how that shows up on paper? I think it's gonna show some banding.

No, I have not seen this printed yet ... what make you think it will show some banding? I am not seeing it on my monitor, but that doesn't mean squat ...

Marc_Benjamin
02-15-2007, 06:30 AM
Hey John,

Cause it always happenes on gradients. Monitors display a wider range range or gamut than what c-paper can handle.

JohnHeckler
02-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Hey John,

Cause it always happenes on gradients. Monitors display a wider range range or gamut than what c-paper can handle.

Hmmm, did not know that ...

Anyone with alternative presentation ideas? D Craig? You are always good for that! ;-P

Mark_Levesque
02-15-2007, 01:48 PM
You can prevent banding by adding noise to your gradient. The issue with gradients is the gradual transition from one color to the other. The wider the gradient, the smaller the difference between adjacent tones. If the difference between adjacent tones falls below the printer's ability to reproduce different tones, you end up with a bunch of values in the original aliasing to one printer tone. In a regular image, there is usualy plenty of natural variation between tones, so the aliasing isn't noticeable. But since a gradient is mathematically derived, it is very regular and so aliasing is much more likely to be noticeable. In the current image, the transition is really not that wide, so I bet it will print just fine. But if you are concerned, you could always add noise, which causes similar tones to alias to different values, thereby reducing apparent banding.

JohnHeckler
02-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Hi Mark, thanks for the explanation. Learn something new every day on this site! :)

I did do a Image->Render->Clouds and a Gausian blur to the gradient as well, so will that have the same effect as adding noise?

In general, do folks even like this presentation? I'm just curious if I broke any "unspoken" rules with print competition presentations ... like too much color, too centered, etc. I attempted to make it subtle and complimentary, but don't know if I achieved that or not.

*I* feel like it adds to the image, but am interested if anyone see it as distracting. I'm such a rookie when it comes to this stuff ...

EDIT: BTW, the blue and pink colors are also to emphasis the gender of the boy and girl, which should be obvious, but maybe not.

Holly_Howe
02-15-2007, 02:16 PM
John - you have posted this image several times and I don't believe I have commented in the past - but I feel like you are really wanting input so here goes. In my unqualified opinion it will not merit. It is a very nice image of two babies and would make a wonderful studio display that is sure to garner tons of comment. But for competition it is flatly lit. While your presentation is very clever and attractively done - judges don't give merits just to presentations. So there is nothing that creates impact - not subject matter, not lighting, not unusual persepctive, etc. so it won't stand out. We have lots of images on our studio walls - currently not a one of them would merit. I feel they are all great images - they just aren't competition images. That's how I feel about this print.

That being said - do I think you should skip entering this print? NO! It will do above average I think and if you will be happy with a 77-79 then by all means go ahead with it. My goal when I was till entering was always not to be embarrassed and this image is certainly not gonna embarrass you in anyway. If you have a stronger print to replace this - then I would use it. If you need this to fill the case - then it will be a good choice. I hope I am totally off base and this print goes loan so I have to eat my words.! Good Luck!

Holly

Mark_Levesque
02-15-2007, 02:21 PM
John,

Have you considered putting the blue part of the gradient on the girl's side, and the pink part on the boy's side? What about making the gradient run diagonally rather than horizontally? Just thinking out loud.

Betsy_Finn
02-15-2007, 02:31 PM
...also try changing the square to a diamond (by rotating the babies & framing 45 degrees).

JohnHeckler
02-15-2007, 02:35 PM
Thanks Holly ... I do really feel like it is a "fill the case" print, pretty much for all the things you mentioned. I guess I was hoping the combination of a nice presentation and a title that fits the "theme" of the image, etc might push it over, but I agree ... probably not.

Mark, I did try reversing the colors putting the blue gradient behind the girl and vice versa with the pink and I thought it made it much more distracting.

I have not, however, considered a diagonal gradient. I might play with that ...

... or I might bag it and find another print to enter ...

As always, I REALLY appreciate the feedback. When I posted this before, I had not completed working on it for print competition, so I wanted to see if the final result helped the image any. I apologize if I am bombarding everyone with this image as that is not my intent :o .

Auralee_Dallas
02-15-2007, 04:08 PM
I had a problem with gradients on a wedding album I did. They don't show on your monitor no matter how much you enlarge, but they will band on the print. Someone on this forum linked me to a utube movie on banding and adding the noise. I did that and it looked good and printed well, but I'm not sure the noise would look that great on a baby photo, but that would be a matter of taste and how much noise you need to add.

JohnHeckler
02-17-2007, 03:53 AM
Ok, yes ... I am just trying to fill the case at this point, however, it would be nice if I fill it with the prints that stand the best chance to merit of course :)

Should I enter this instead of the Ying Yang Twins?

D Craig suggested "Confused" for a title in a previous thread and I like that as a title, but am always curious to here more if ya's got one in mind :)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/jthphotography/2007%20Mid%20East%20Print%20Comp/Confused10x8-final-72dpi.jpg