PDA

View Full Version : Family Resemblance - final for print comp

JohnHeckler
02-14-2007, 01:10 AM
Ok, I reworked this with only 9 images instead of 16. I don't know ... I want to enter it because I think it is humorous and somewhat unique, but I also want a merit and kinda think this ain't gonna cut it.

Please give me your honest thoughts ...

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/jthphotography/2007%20Mid%20East%20Print%20Comp/FamilyResemblance-72dpi.jpg

Dave_Cisco
02-14-2007, 01:12 AM
It's entertaining, but I don't see a merit.:)

Holly_Howe
02-14-2007, 01:53 AM
Fix the catchlights and artwork the eyes to have any kind of chance of meriting
Holly

Keith_A_Howe
02-14-2007, 02:22 AM
I personally feel that as is it may be a stretch but With artwork done to these faces and tweek the levels of the individual prints a bit and work the eyes. I think this will go because it is funny and it has light direction. So if I were on the panel I would laugh, then look to see why it shouldn't merit. If there is light direction and you worked the faces and catchlights, there is creativity in the idea, presentation and arrangement. I believe I would push merit. Here is my quick version of artwork.
Keith
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/faces.jpg

JohnHeckler
02-14-2007, 02:29 AM
Thanks Dave, Holly, and Keith. The lighting is so inconsistent in the original files ... I tried to bring consistency to the B&W conversions, but feel I fell a little short.

How are you artworking the eyes exactly?

Also, I considered using Lucis Art (sp?) plugin but don't have it and have never used it before. But I was wondering if that might add to the whole caricature feel to this images?!

Any thoughts on that?

Keith_A_Howe
02-14-2007, 02:45 AM
I would not go buy anything for a single use unless it was a situation like Ron's where a client is paying you well for a given look. Lucis is over entered now days so the impact of the effect is lessened. I dup the layer and used the patch tool to work the lines under the eyes etc. then fade the opacity of that layer till it looks good (usually around 65-70%) On the low res file here I left the layer at 100% because I thought it went with the feel of the fisheye. Then I flatten the layers and work the eye itself. Dodge -set to highlights 12-15%. Go over the catch lights and once around the iris in the white area. Then I make the crescent in the eye by going over and over the area I want it in. THis adds roundness to the eye and impact to the image. Next I will burn -set to shadows 5%- the pupil and the outer edge of the iris to snap it up. Finally I dodge - midtone 6% and bring out detail in the lighting pattern, line down nose, angels kiss, lips and eyebrows. If you want to you can dodge highlights and hit the hair and then burn shadows on the hair and it adds a lot of dimension and depth to ladies hair styles. This is a fast listing of artwork. After you have done it a few times, an image like this one with nine faces I can do in maybe 10 min. or so. Keith

Holly_Howe
02-14-2007, 02:49 AM
The lower left hand corner image appears to have flare along the edge. Can you replace it with another choice?

Holly

JohnHeckler
02-14-2007, 02:59 AM
The lower left hand corner image appears to have flare along the edge. Can you replace it with another choice?

Holly

It's from the window light ... I was thinking I made the head a little too big on that frame anyway. I wonder if I shrink it down some and burn it in a little I might be able to save that one. I do think I have another one to replace it though, so I can fall back on that.

I'd really like to see the lucis art plugin run on this more out of curiousity than anything else. This is pretty much a caricature and I think that would add to that element even though they are overdone in competition these days.

Anyone want to run the lucis plugin on it for me so I can see the potential? Beg, grovel, govel ;)

I think your right though Keith and I doubt I will go that route, but I am very curious as to how it would look.

Keith_A_Howe
02-14-2007, 04:23 AM
Keep in mind a filter run on low res will not look the same as a high res.
Keith

Marc_Benjamin
02-14-2007, 05:03 AM
John,

send me the file and I'll run it for you... actually, to think about it now, I would run each square independently then again that could also be done as it is...... nevermind.