PDA

View Full Version : "Winter Blues" Needs Critique Please

Lisa_Butler
02-11-2007, 03:43 AM
I have finally got the courage to enter my first PPA Comp ... I have read all the rules but I need to know if I have the image placement right and accent line correct. I have seen people draw an X across to see if they have the image positioned right. Not sure what that means but I would love to learn.:o :confused: I just don't know what I am doing yet. :) Your critique is welcomed (I can take it!:D ). I just want to see if this image has potential. Thanks for your time.

Holly_Howe
02-11-2007, 04:15 AM
Hi Lisa - I have marked your image to illustrate the placement guides I think you are refering to. The divisions horizontally and vertically divide the print into thirds. Traditionally for greatest impact, your center of interest should fall aproximently at the intersection of two of those lines. The diagonals illustrate the Golden triangle, also called the Bakker saddle. It is also a dynamic point to place your center of interest where those diagonals meet. As you can see it falls quite close to an intersection of thirds. None of these points are EXACT - just get in the close neighborhood. I think you could repstion this image on your background to line up a little closer to one of the points. Hope this helps

Holly

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Butler.jpg

Lisa_Butler
02-11-2007, 04:26 AM
Thank you holy that is exactly what I needed to know about the lines. Thanks again!

Holly_Howe
02-11-2007, 05:06 AM
Lisa - With the title Winter Blues - I feel like she needs blue eyes. This was done on my lousy laptop and the color is fakey - but you get the idea. I also cropped the image to get rid of the messy hair and extra scarf on the right hand side. After looking at it some more I feel there should be a little more taken off the top from this crop. Get rid of the ribbed area on her hat - crop it so just the cable knit part of the hat shows.
Good Luck!
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Butler2.jpg

Lisa_Butler
02-11-2007, 06:28 AM
I appreciate the time you are taking to help me. What do you think? I am not sure if I have it lined up or not. I don't think I am still doing it right.:o
I think I am making it harder than it is. If I what her eyes point of view than I would position her left eye where the Y intersects?:confused:

Jeff_Dachowski
02-11-2007, 12:26 PM
Hi LisA,
Thank you for posting this. I love the image. in my experience it is probably in the above average category, soemwhere around a 76-79. I am not a judge, but I have seen a lot of images. So you might want to try to tilt the compostion to the left a little bit. This way her eyes woul not be as parrallel to the bottom, and might create a bit more tension. Also with a winter blues title, have you considered toning the blue in hersweater and hat down, or changing the color completley so that the blue eyes are more present?

Pleae post some more. Remember there are 5 judges when your work is viewed, and even if I don't think it will get to the merit category, does not mean it will not. So keep them coming.
Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
02-11-2007, 04:17 PM
Lisa Lets keep it simple. Think of the main point of intrest, the face or the area of the eyes in this case. Just place this point of intrest in aprox the intersection of the thirds lines. These intersection points are most often (not always) the most dynamic areas in a composition. You can use these on the thirds of the orginal image and / or on the overall presentation.

Using the rule of thirds for a H&S portrait in camera, think of where a line 1/3 the way down from the top of the frame would be. Place the eyes near this line. Like Jeff said tilt the image or camera so the eyes are not parallel to the top or bottom of the image. Diagonals add motion and emotion to the image.
Hope this helps
Keith

Dave_Higgins
02-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Lisa,

I am not qualified to express an opinion about your image so I won't. I wanted to let you know that Naomie Angel has a great Photoshop tutorial about eye enhancement in the Photoshop and Adobe Forum. I hope this helps.

I love the eyes.

Cheers,

Carl_Bromberg
02-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Good to see you out here Lisa, seems like your getting some great advice, I don't really have anything to add that hasn't been said, just wanted to say Hi!

You have my email, feel free to ask anything anytime. I'm no expert but like I say I know what's worked for me and what hasn't and am more then willing to share.

Have a great day!

Linda_Gregory
02-11-2007, 04:33 PM
Dave, the thread is still there but she's removed the tutorial part unfortunately. I went back to give the link to someone and there are only zzzzzzzzzzz's there.

Lisa_Butler
02-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions. Very helpful information and is appreciated!

Lisa_Butler
02-11-2007, 11:20 PM
Wow... I am not sure where the message that I just posted went!! My bad. I am new to this site and I am still learning my way around! ;)

How is this version? (Lightened the blues for hat and scarf. Made the eyes from green to blue and a slight tilt to the left.) I know I still have to do a lot of tweaks to do but hoping to be on the right track.
Thanks so much!

Keith_A_Howe
02-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Lisa
I like the crop a bit better. With this file I can not see the eye color like I would on the final print so I can't say but I believe it is an improvment. Ok I moved the image into PS and zoomed in. You need a catch light in her eyes from the main light source. This image is broad lite so I placed them accordingly. I would like to see you useing short lighting but...
On your presentation you lightened the sweater which then competes for attention with the face and eyes. I toned the sweater and hat down and dodged the highlights of her hair to add demension. I added warmth to her color and moved her up to the thirds again. I like the angle of her eyes. I do feel that the whites of her eyes are overly whitened, you want to do some to them but not go too far as to lose the roundness of the eye or to make the whites too stark. Good Luck Keith PS I looked at my post and I slid her up a bit too high maybe but you can get the idea. Keith
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/blues.jpg

Lisa_Butler
02-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Keith,
You don't know how much I apprecitate the information! Thank you for taking the time to work that in PS.