PDA

View Full Version : bragging rights here.

Will_Price
02-10-2007, 03:11 AM
Congrats go to Dan Leary for two blues and a red here at PPWV....:D
Kudos to Brian Price (no relation) for his awards also...I can't remember what he got though:confused:

Don_Eisenhart
02-10-2007, 03:12 AM
Kudos to Brian Price (no relation) for his awards also...I can't remember what he got though:confused:

GO DAN GO!

You go to Brian, even thought I know you at all!

Marc_Benjamin
02-10-2007, 03:30 AM
what does two blues and a red mean?

Mark_Levesque
02-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Blue ribbons are awarded for prints with scores of 80 or above, red ribbons awarded to prints with scores 76-79. (NH's rules, but I bet they give a good indication of WBGV's rules as well.)

D._Craig_Flory
02-10-2007, 12:37 PM
Hi Marc;

It's the same in Pennsylvania ... just like Mark said. Think Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer.

Anne_LeBouton
02-10-2007, 12:54 PM
I think those are pretty standard rules at most state regionals. Anything getting a blue can go on to National and get a merit. Our convention is at the end of the month. I'm hoping Gary gets at least on blue.

Valerie_Kieselhorst
02-10-2007, 06:59 PM
How Marc are you asking about the meaning of the colors? You should know better :=))
I had admired one of your prints with the CA Photo of the Year's Adward in the Wedding category few days ago....Congrats by the way!

Keith_A_Howe
02-10-2007, 11:03 PM
I think those are pretty standard rules at most state regionals. Anything getting a blue can go on to National and get a merit. Our convention is at the end of the month. I'm hoping Gary gets at least on blue.

Anne It depends - I believe this is a state non affilated judging so it would not recieve a seal of approval for merit. Anything can go on to national no matter if it recieves a blue or not. The blue is an indicator that it has a good chance though. Keith

Will_Price
02-11-2007, 04:03 AM

My Bad, it was two blues and four reds last night. Tonite he was awarded several other awards including a very sought after best digital print! It was an awsome print that I hope he posts here. He will give you the scoop when he gets back home. Go Danny!

Marc_Benjamin
02-11-2007, 05:34 AM
How Marc are you asking about the meaning of the colors? You should know better :=))

Hi Valerie,

It's just that some places blue is actually under 80 and a gold is over 80. Gold ribons I think makes more sense since a ppa merit print get's a gold corner.

I wish that I could have met you at the California convetion since I didnt really see anyone from the forums except for Michael Gan. We've seen a lot of each other lately and it's getting creepy j/k lol.

Anyways, thanks for liking the image. That one seems to be very blessed and has won a lot. In addition to western states wedding image of the year it has also won me two full registrations to the other big convention.

Also, congratulations to Leslie Gan (Michaels wife) for winning a Kodak Gallery Award at the California convention.

John_Stein
02-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Will,

Do you have Brian's email? I spoke with him during the MOB and he wanted me to send him an email about some locations over my way but I can not find his email Address on the WV PPA website.

John Stein

Keith_A_Howe
02-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Congrats Dan..... Please post the image Best digital print. We would love to see it.
Keith

Keith_A_Howe
02-11-2007, 03:07 PM
Congrats Leslie We would love to see your Kodak Gallery Award image as well. Is it one that you showed us while we were in your studio?
Keith

Will_Price
02-11-2007, 08:03 PM
ANy others or is Danny the only entrant in the US?

Dan_Leary
02-11-2007, 09:12 PM
I just made it back today and thought I would share my weekend experience. First of all, thanks to Will for sharing the good news in the absence of my computer. Second of all, thanks to Holly, Keith, D. Craig, Jeff, Dave Cisco and everyone else that offered their valued input. It is greatly appreciated. I also would like to share with D. Craig what a great group of people we had join us from PA. Gerry Solan, Keith Lewis and Dave Savarino are always a hoot to be around. Gerry swept our out-of-state categories with some awesome images. Also, you have heard Will and I both speak of our dear retouch artist, Barbara Sullivan... she was awarded a special award last night in recognition of 175 MERIT PRINTS. If that don't put things into perspective, I don't know what will. Now my results...

"Grandma's Gang" Scored a 77... I gambled on this one and lost. The judges missed the point.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/imageguy23/Grandmas-Gang.jpg

"Uptown Girl" 78... I gambled here too, but I wanted at least one wedding image. For those wondering, I really shouldn't gamble.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/imageguy23/UpTownGirl.jpg

"Sax On The Brain" 78... Pretty much a bad print, but the big complaint was the subject could have been better looking. Sad, but that's the way it goes.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/imageguy23/SaxOnTheBrain-1.jpg

"Fire and Ice" 79... They really wanted to give this a merit, but they wanted it cropped in tighter and they didn't like the dark spot in the upper right hand of the flames. For those wondering, this is NOT Photoshopped. I photographed this last Sunday.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/imageguy23/Fire-and-Ice-Final.jpg

Dan_Leary
02-11-2007, 09:12 PM
"Even Blondes Get The Blues" Scored 81 and was second place for best B&W image, behind Beth Forester. Those that know her, know that's not a bad place to be.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/imageguy23/PrettyGirlBlues.jpg

"Renaissance Man" Scored an 80 and won best digital image as well as a Kodak Gallery Award. This image almost didn't merit because all but one judge missed the point. The other judges thought the filmstrips were ribbons! I'm re-working this image for regionals.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h200/imageguy23/LastFilmShooter.jpg

So their you have it. Overall a good weekend I think. This was my third year of competing and these were my first merits. I finally got a really big monkey off my back. It has been a learning experience. We have great talent in our state and I am proud to be a part of it and I humbled at what I have achieved. Thanks again to everyone. And now, I am going to find some real food!

Mark_Levesque
02-11-2007, 11:15 PM
Great work, Dan. I really think a good print of Sax on the Brain might have gone blue, especially with an adjustment or two.

DianeDavis
02-11-2007, 11:21 PM
Nice work Dan.

Holly_Howe
02-12-2007, 03:08 AM
Hi Dan - played around with one of your prints - hope that was okay. I would change the title to Solo or On a Riff ( think that's right - Stan would know)

Holly
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Solo.jpg

JohnHeckler
02-12-2007, 03:15 AM
Congrats Dan, nice images!