As a backup ... I have this one

duality

Jackie_Haggerty
02-09-2007, 06:42 PM
Dave,

The others didn't show up?

Dave_Buchanan
02-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Some times they do sometimes they dont... Let me downsize them and post directly to the site

Dave_Buchanan
02-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Here are the first 2

1) I cant make this angle work

2) cristina

Dave_Buchanan
02-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Here are the next 2

1) framed (still not sure about the title)
2) TheMask

D._Craig_Flory
02-09-2007, 07:17 PM
Hi Dave;

Here are my takes on your images. I don't like the multiple images one at all. It doesn't have one point of interest to concentrate on. The other 3 I really like.

On The Mask ... I'm posting my version in vertical, a smaller and less noticeable accent line , and flipped'.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/TheMaskEnhanced.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
02-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Hi Dave;

On the dancer Cristina ... I suggest that you not put her name on it. For a client or studio display it's good. But, it draws too much attention to itself.
I made it smaller and put a 1 pixel accent line around the subjecy layer. I made it smaller so as to put the left hand image on the 2nd quadrant and the dancing image on the 3rd quadrant.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/CristinaEnhanced.jpg

Dave_Buchanan
02-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Hi Dave;

Here are my takes on your images. I don't like the multiple images one at all. It doesn't have one point of interest to concentrate on. The other 3 I really like.

On The Mask ... I'm posting my version in vertical, a smaller and less noticeable accent line , and flipped'.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/TheMaskEnhanced.jpg

That's funny on the flip... that is the original position I do like going more simple with the frame... Thanks

D._Craig_Flory
02-09-2007, 07:26 PM
Hi Dave;

On the Lady with all the jewelry, I made the subject layer smaller. I also moved it so she would be on the 2nd quadrant. And I used a 1 pixel accent line in a color pick from her gold jewelry. Keep in mind on all images that even in 16X20, you only need an accent line wide enough to set the subject layer off ... without drawing attention to itself.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/FramesEnhanced.jpg

Dave_Buchanan
02-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Very Cool ... Thank you... Serious improvments !!!!

last on ...

What about this one ... is it too much negative space.

D._Craig_Flory
02-09-2007, 08:46 PM
Hi Dave;

Perfect timing. I saw this one and re-worked it while prints dried in the spray booth. I sprayed another batch and now am responding.

It was more a matter of postioning than negative space. Here is how I see it with him on the 3rd quadrant.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/SolitudeEnhanced.jpg

Dave_Buchanan
02-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Thanks again for the ideas :)

I need to get these off to BWC this weekend to get em back in time for SWPPA... I waved off last year... but with the new studio opening next month I figured that might as well go for it in competition this year... Hopefully we can get a merit or 2 for the walls!

D._Craig_Flory
02-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi Dave;

Keep in mind that clients will be impressed with less than a blue ribbon too ... especially those peopl in the images. And, it's good publicity. Good luck !

Dave_Buchanan
02-10-2007, 06:15 AM
So I was beat roundly over the head by my stylist over my print selections...
she insisted that we do this print...

I am not sure about it...the logo would be copyrighted by Disney and I really dont want to go 10 rounds with the Mouse...

But I have to ask 1) Would this be "safe" 2) would it do anything???

Mark_Levesque
02-10-2007, 12:48 PM
Why not do it without the logo?

Jeff_Dachowski
02-10-2007, 01:45 PM
The problem wiht this image is it looks like the kid is slicing into his hand. Also the lighting needs some refinement. I would reshoot it, and think about body language with a weapon. It is not the same as a traditional portrait.
Jeff

Holly_Howe
02-10-2007, 02:36 PM
Does your stylist have a lot of experience picking competition prints? Why does she like this one in particular?

Personally I feel, of what you have shown us - this image is the weakest print as far as competition goes. Yes the logo would have to go. But the biggest challenge that I see is the brightest thing in the image is the flare (or sun?) behind his saber - drawing your eye away from the face - which is the main center of interest. There are some other issues but that's the main one. I kinda think this would take too much work to get it competition ready and it still would be an iffy merit. Your other images are better choices in my opinion.

Holly

Keith_A_Howe
02-11-2007, 04:21 PM
My favorites are the black man, dancer and the eye images. D.Craig made some good suggestions here. I too would do away with the name on the dancer, and add the space around the images. For the future I would like to see you use more short lighting patterns on the subjects. This will add more impact and sculpt the subjects a bit more.
Good Luck Keith

Keith_A_Howe
02-11-2007, 04:45 PM
I would suggest that on the eye image, remove the right hand catch light (the brighter sharper one) as this is obviously not the light direction of this finished image. Then I would dodge (set to highlights at 10% or so) the other catch light a time or two to add more impact. Add just a bit to the white of the eye on the left side. Dodge (same settings) several times to creat the crescent in the iris of the eye and once just into the white of the eye on the right side around the iris. This adds demension and roundness to the eye. Useing layers I reduced the highlights on her eye lid and at the corner of the eye so there are less distractions. Here is my re cropped version, it still keeps the rule of thirds but eleminates some of the arm. The arm in the org is a bit of a distraction and tells me that the lens choice was a bit too wide showing the distortion of size of the face to arm ratio. I also warmed up the image and chose a blue from the crescent of the eye as the stroke to add to the impact. Good Luck
Keith
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/eye.jpg