PDA

View Full Version : URGENT HELP!!! Who is using WHCC for print competition?

Jackie_Haggerty
02-09-2007, 05:58 PM
:(

I requested on my orders to them to print my files to print competition color density..... requesting my lab do this for me.

I paid the extra for color correction for these files because of my request.

So......

they said they don't do that and I have to have them all reprinted, which all have already been printed, I have received 2 of them, and the rest are in route.

NOW---- How do I adjust to compensate for the density? I have 2 hours to get these all adjusted and into the lab to have them here by Tuesday.

David_A._Lottes
02-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Hi Jackie:eek:
I remember Jeff D. talking about using WHCC for comp. Give him a call.

Jackie_Haggerty
02-09-2007, 07:10 PM
WHEW!

Sorry, guys, had a moment there....:(

It's all better now.....

Thanks, thanks, thanks, Keith and Jeff!!!

The new ones are at the lab, and should be here by Tuesday.

Ya know when sometimes you feel like you have so many hurdles that you think it is just not meant to be?

Holly_Howe
02-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Silly Silly WHCC - now everybody knows that when you request competition density from them - they don't do it and won't make it right. Why didn't they just call you when they saw that request for comp. density, instead of just printing them all and then telling you after the fact that they wouldn't do it? Silly silly silly . . .

Holly

DianeDavis
02-09-2007, 07:12 PM
Congrats on your first comp.

Holly_Howe
02-09-2007, 07:14 PM
Ya know when sometimes you feel like you have so many hurdles that you think it is just not meant to be?

Jackie - Like I told you on the phone - I have an inch and a half scar on my wrist from "hurdles" . . . but even though Keith sliced my wrist- I still beat him that year. It'll be okay and worth all the effort!

Holly

Mark_Levesque
02-09-2007, 07:16 PM
So what did they tell you to do? Flatten, copy the layer, set it to multiply blend mode and drop the opacity to 35%?

Jackie_Haggerty
02-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Mark- they didn't tell me to do anything....sooo.......

I called Keith and followed his instructions. :D

Jackie_Haggerty
02-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Silly Silly WHCC - now everybody knows that when you request competition density from them - they don't do it and won't make it right. Why didn't they just call you when they saw that request for comp. density, instead of just printing them all and then telling you after the fact that they wouldn't do it? Silly silly silly . . .

Holly

They are reprinting for me, after I made the adjustments myself. The reason they are reprinting is because someone should have called me when they saw my request and they didn't call me before printing.

Holly_Howe
02-09-2007, 07:29 PM
They are reprinting for me, after I made the adjustments myself. The reason they are reprinting is because someone should have called me when they saw my request and they didn't call me before printing.

Okay - I rescind - Smart Smart WHCC!

Holly

Holly_Howe
02-09-2007, 07:29 PM
I called Keith and followed his instructions. :D
. . . and he is so happy cause I NEVER do what he says!

Holly

D._Craig_Flory
02-09-2007, 07:35 PM
Hi Jackie;

I don't order competition quality. I get them the way I like them and order regular prints, but on glossy paper, and have them mounted on black-core gator foam. But, I send them an 8x10 file of their lab Known Output File with my image(s) on top. They know what the known output file looks like printed. So if they go by that, they know how I want my images printed. I can't see paying a big price when I can get what I want @ $17.50 each plus mounting. (I spray them hi-gloss in my spray booth)

I also order 8x10s first and if they come back how I want them I order the 16x20's.

David_A._Lottes
02-09-2007, 08:32 PM
I still beat him

Even after all that counseling, does it involve jello? So I guess it's fair to ask Keith, "When did you stop beating your wife?".

I am sooooo funny.:D

Anne_LeBouton
02-09-2007, 08:36 PM
Personally, I'd rather pay someone who is really good at printing competition prints to do that for us. I order them unmounted and mount them myself but I leave the final adjustment up to someone who has literally done thousands of competition prints.

That being said, we actually have a specific person we send them to for printing. Even when we were using another lab for our customer stuff, we still sent them to his lab (he wasn't able to take on any more volume on a regular basis at that time.) He's a judge and jury foreman himself and has competition lights set up so he can look over the print before he sends it back to. For $46 each it's worth the peace of mind.

Holly_Howe
02-09-2007, 09:47 PM
Back when we were all film, we used to drive to KC and Dave Swoboda would print ours. that man could take the leaders off the end of a roll of film and print a merit image out of it.

Holly

Marc_Benjamin
02-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Ya know, Bay Photo actually has a print competiton section on their ROES system.

No more phone calls no last minute reprints cause someone did not read the notes. Everything that comes out from that queue is sent to the print competition print guy. Only thing you need to do is pick either black gator foam or standard mount board.

Mark_Levesque
02-10-2007, 01:27 AM
I called Keith and followed his instructions.
Which were?

Anne_LeBouton
02-10-2007, 01:31 AM
Back when we were all film, we used to drive to KC and Dave Swoboda would print ours. that man could take the leaders off the end of a roll of film and print a merit image out of it.

Holly

That's funny, Gary and I were discussing this thread this afternoon and he was just telling me about Dave Swoboda and what a good printer he is. We use Dan Stoller if anyone knows who he is.

Jackie_Haggerty
02-10-2007, 01:41 AM
Mark, it varied by picture, but we adjusted the midtones in levels.

Linda_Gregory
02-10-2007, 02:41 AM
Dave Swoboda, don't miss his program at PPA on comp prints if you're going! I'm sure Holly and Keith have seen it, either by just observing him or seeing a previous program.

Keith_A_Howe
02-11-2007, 04:59 PM
For those wanting to know how we adjusted the prints darker and why. First Look at your histogram. If you are bottomed out in the blacks and near the touching the top in whites then I would recomend this method. The reason is if you were to use the "Flatten, copy the layer, set it to multiply blend mode and drop the opacity to 35%?" as Mark suggested, you will find that your blacks will block up more losing detail and in some cases the whites will get a bit muddy. For this situation I went to levels and chose the midtones slider and adjusted it down to what looked correct. In most cases some where around .80. Some of Jackies were close already I think we took them down to .93 or so and in some cases we were to around .85-.78. This keeps the blacks black but holds the details better in the shaddows and the highlights in my opinion. Keith

Jackie_Haggerty
02-11-2007, 05:12 PM
Isn't Keith da bomb? :D :cool:

Jerry_W._Kelley
02-11-2007, 06:25 PM
The Virginia PPA convention will be in two weeks and I haven't entered prints since 1972, it sounds like there have been a few changes since then!

H and H notified me Thursday they would accept me as a customer and I had my six images sent to them on Friday. I checked the two boxes on the competition form for competition color and density. I hope they know what they are doing because I'm not sure I do!

Jerry

Holly_Howe
02-11-2007, 06:34 PM
Jerry - I do not use H&H but if they have a box to check for competition color & density - that would tell me that they are aware there is a difference. I would think it should be okay.

Holly

Michael_Black
02-11-2007, 06:47 PM
Maybe, just maybe we are talking about a serious lack of planning here. Do you remember how long it used to take for competition prints with film?

Everything in life should not be a last minute rush.

Mike

Linda_Gregory
02-11-2007, 06:55 PM
I've worked in a lab for 8 years. No planning is ever involved! HAHA!

Comp prints, film or digital always called for overtime but it didn't matter how fast you needed them, with competition finish, it took no less than three days with no way to hurry it.

Now there's laminate and gloss paper is acceptable, it can be much faster on the lab side of things.

Still, planning ahead? sounds easy.

DianeDavis
02-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Artists and Planning mix like oil and water.

Anne_LeBouton
02-11-2007, 08:39 PM
I remember one photographer telling us about how the were a "bit late" getting their prints finished before going to convention and wound up hanging them out the window of the car to get the lacquer to dry!

Jerry_W._Kelley
02-11-2007, 10:38 PM
For me it has more to do with money than time. To become a member of VPPA I needed to get a biz license and tax ID numbers plus the dues and and pay for the printing, total will be $650. All of this I could not begin to do until last Monday.

When I first entered in the VPPA comp in 1964 it cost me, including making my five 16x20 black and white prints, $30, which was a weeks pay after taxes. Now if I could manage $900 a week today, that would be very nice!

Jerry