PDA

View Full Version : Who are you and how do you serve?

Marc_Benjamin
02-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Hey everyone,

It would be nice to know who, where and how we serve. Here's the format:

Marc Benjamin Anacta - Professional Photographers of the Greater Bay Area (San Francisco), Director and Libriarian.

D._Craig_Flory
02-06-2007, 10:19 PM
Hi Marc;

Well, I served on the board of governors of Professional Photographers of Pa. for 7 years. I chaired & worked in many committees including props chairman. I hold the state service degree but still work a lot and have been security chairman for many years now. I'm also security for our state certified group's programs.

I have been on the PPA Recon Team since it was 1st formed. I've been giving the certification exam for well over a decade and have been C.P.P. Liaison for 4 or 5 years now.

Anne_LeBouton
02-07-2007, 12:15 AM
I've served on every position of the Fox Valley PPA board, including president. I'm currently their archivist. My husband is also a past present of FVPPA and is currently the newsletter editor.

George_Hawkins
02-07-2007, 12:37 PM
I served as a director on New Hamshire PPA, in 80's we had two-year terms, and I went through committees and positions inclding both VP's and President, and Conv. Chair; I also served as CPP Liaison, proctered exams, etc. A few years later was given National Award.

One gets asked, and I was a representative from NHPPA to board of PPA New England (PPANE); there is one from each of the six states. As time went, I became a VP, 2nd VP, 1st VP (conv. programming chair) and President, in 2001. I served on many committees within, as a voting member for 15 years. Immed past pres. chairs nominating committee, and I have been appointed each year since. I was presented second National Award from PPANE. Now I am one of the six trustees of the New England affilaite school (NEIPP). Unlike most of the schools, the six of us have a very active roll in the school's planning along with our director. We meet 6-8 times throughout the year; one of us "works" in each class at the March/April session.

Kind a long winded, but as I wrote once: it just happened!

George

Jim_Lersch
02-10-2007, 01:17 AM
I am currently Director #2 on the Board of PP of the Ozarks (PPA affiliate), serve as PPO webmaster and previously served 3 years on the Board of PP of Michigan. Also am a PPA API.

Keith_A_Howe
02-12-2007, 03:43 AM
Past President to PPof Nebraska and Central Nebraska PP as well. I used to be Certification chair for NE for several years. Currently I represent NE as councilor to PPA. Affiliate Jurror PO, Wedding, Art tech.
Along with Holly we started an ongoing mentoring program for our state (PPofN). Keith

Buddy_Thompson
02-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Past President of Professional Photographers of Mississippi-Alabama (PPMA). Past President of North Mississippi Professional Photographers Association. Currently serving as PPMA membership chairman.

Steven_Yahr
02-23-2007, 01:05 AM
Presently 2nd VP( membership ) Professional Photographers Association of New Jersey and will be moving to 1st VP( Convention Chairman) slot for this coming year. I have been a member since 1993 and have in one way or another involved in many aspects of our association.
Steven Yahr CPP AFP

D._Craig_Flory
02-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi Steven;

I like that your state group has smaller groups that meet separately and then (I think you do) one combined convention.

So, you are lucky enough to have Al DiCampli in your state group ! *S*

Steven_Yahr
02-25-2007, 08:44 PM
Hi Craig
Nice to hear from you.
We have three seperate Regions in our state and each region holds its own meetings .(North, Central & South)
I'm a member of Central and have been active as an officer (3rdVP, 2ndVP 1stVP & Pres)in the region prior to becoming a State officer.
Have know Al for some number of years now and he's a great guy.
Steven Yahr CPP AFP

D._Craig_Flory
02-26-2007, 02:11 PM
Hi Steven;

I taught a class on Photoshop ... for the Central group.

Nylora_Bruleigh
02-26-2007, 02:17 PM
HI Everyone,

I am currently serving as NHPPA 2nd VP.
Prior to that I was the assistant State Librarian for 1 year and the State Librarian for 1 year.
I just held my first seminar at my studio on Bellies and Babies portraiture for the NHPPA Photofestival.

John_Pacetti
02-27-2007, 05:42 PM
I am the PPANJ Newsletter Editor and the Central Regions Treasurer. I usually help out with the State Convention (where ever extra hands are needed), since as the Newsletter Editor, my convention duties are really done once it goes to print.

Michael_Gan
02-28-2007, 12:50 AM
Lemme think....

1983-85 - PP Greater Bay Area Director and Treasurer
1986 - Chairman, Western States Convention
1987 - President PP Northern California (Now NCPP)
1990 - President PP Northern California
1992 - President Rotary Club of Dublin
1993-95 - Chairman Tri Valley YMCA
2004 - VP NCPP
2005 - President NCPP
2006-07 Chairman of the board NCPP
2007 -? Chairman Western States Convention
2007-2009 - PPA Councilor
2006 - ? CPP Liason Northern California

I think I need to go to the Cafes for a long tall, cool one :)

D._Craig_Flory
02-28-2007, 01:02 PM
Lemme think....

1983-85 - PP Greater Bay Area Director and Treasurer
1986 - Chairman, Western States Convention
1987 - President PP Northern California (Now NCPP)
1990 - President PP Northern California
1992 - President Rotary Club of Dublin
1993-95 - Chairman Tri Valley YMCA
2004 - VP NCPP
2005 - President NCPP
2006-07 Chairman of the board NCPP
2007 -? Chairman Western States Convention
2007-2009 - PPA Councilor
2006 - ? CPP Liason Northern California

I think I need to go to the Cafes for a long tall, cool one :)

Hi Michael; Were'nt your fingers tired after typing all that ? :rolleyes:
So, now that you are getting two merits every year for being C.P.P. Liaison, in no time at all you can get a bar for your medallion. I give the exam up to 4 times a year and get two merits ... I like it.

Michael_Gan
02-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi Michael; Were'nt your fingers tired after typing all that ? :rolleyes:
So, now that you are getting two merits every year for being C.P.P. Liaison, in no time at all you can get a bar for your medallion. I give the exam up to 4 times a year and get two merits ... I like it. Hehe, I seem to be always a step ahead of you...getting my first gold bar as we speak ;)

Vaughn_Monigold
03-01-2007, 04:10 AM
Hey everyone,

It would be nice to know who, where and how we serve. Here's the format:

Marc Benjamin Anacta - Professional Photographers of the Greater Bay Area (San Francisco), Director and Libriarian.

Vaughn Monigold, CPP, M.Photog.Cr.
Serving second term as President, Ark-La-Tex PPA in Texarkana, Tx.,
Past President Texas PPA
Past President South Plains PPA, Lubbock
Past President Professional Photographers Forum (non-affiliated) Tyler, Tx.

D._Craig_Flory
03-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Hehe, I seem to be always a step ahead of you...getting my first gold bar as we speak ;)

Hi Michael;

You will never catch up on age ... I'll be 60 in September. And I did photos in California long before you did. Two firsts for me. :p

I do have a bar .... on my Pa. state group service medalion.

D._Craig_Flory
03-01-2007, 12:31 PM
Vaughn Monigold, CPP, M.Photog.Cr.
Serving second term as President, Ark-La-Tex PPA in Texarkana, Tx.,
Past President Texas PPA
Past President South Plains PPA, Lubbock
Past President Professional Photographers Forum (non-affiliated) Tyler, Tx.

Hi Vaughn;

So there really is a Texarkana ! I always thought that was made up for the movie "Smoky and the Bandit" so they would have a place to load up the truck with Coors. :p I do know about famous the Lubbock ... home of Buddy Holly !!! It's hard to believe Rock and Roll lost him 48 years ago, last month.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum. It's nice to have another Craftsman here. (oh yeah ... and that you are a Master is nice too. *S*)

Michael_Gan
03-01-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi Michael;

You will never catch up on age ... I'll be 60 in September. And I did photos in California long before you did. Two firsts for me. :p

I do have a bar .... on my Pa. state group service medalion.LOL, I was referring to way back, you mentioned that I should go after my craftsman, but I had already accumulated the necessary merits for that. Now you said for me to get my gold bar, and I've already done that.

Age before beauty;)

Vaughn_Monigold
03-02-2007, 01:36 AM
Hi Vaughn;

So there really is a Texarkana ! I always thought that was made up for the movie "Smoky and the Bandit" so they would have a place to load up the truck with Coors. :p I do know about famous the Lubbock ... home of Buddy Holly !!! It's hard to believe Rock and Roll lost him 48 years ago, last month.

Anyhow, welcome to the forum. It's nice to have another Craftsman here. (oh yeah ... and that you are a Master is nice too. *S*)

Yep, Texarkana the twin cities. State Line Boulevard runs north and south through the cityi--Texas on the west side, Arkansas on the east. But The bandit couldn't have gotten Coors on the Texas side. It's dry. Must cross the street where it's wet.

If you ever get to Lubbock, check out the Buddy Holly Museum in the Depot District....right off 19th St. and Buddy Holly Avenue.

Been enjoying the forum discussions. Learn a lot. Contribute a little.

Heading for Arlington and the Texas PPA convention tomorrow. Lots of good speakers, plus Southwest Regional affiliated print judging. Will be back in a week.

-- Vaughn Monigold
southcrestgallery@alltel.net

D._Craig_Flory
03-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Hi Vaughn;

It is a moot point now, about Coors, since it is now allowed here in the east. Back when Smoky and the Bandit was filmed, it was considered bootlegging.

When you get back, how about posting a good recipe for some Texas chili ? (the kind where you need a gallon of water handy :D )

Dave_Petrick
03-22-2007, 02:36 PM
Dave Petrick, Spirit Lake Iowa. I am currently serving as Vice-Prresident of Northwest Iowa Professional Photographers Association.

Robin_Arkenberg
04-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Robin Arkenberg - Professional Photographers Association of Greater Louisville Inc. - Webmaster

Ed_Booth
04-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Hi Marc,
Think outside the photographic profession as well. I belone several networking groups. Because of the networking groups I am now on the board of the American Cancer Society, and on the board of my local Chamber Of Commerce. Not only do you do alot of good community service, it also opens a lot of influencial doors which will help grow your business.
Ed

JoeGierisch
04-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Professional Photographers of NC: Eastern Director at Large
Photographic Society of the Triangle (Raleigh, NC): Past President (1999) and currently Secretary.
East Coast School Photographic Workshops (NC PPA Affiliate School): Board of Advisors, Publicity Coordinator

They won't fire me!;)

Don_Chick
04-16-2007, 10:04 PM
New Hampshire Professional Photographers Association

1st VP
PPA Certification Secretary for NH

Sarah_Johnston
04-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Sarah Johnston CPP, M. Photog CR. PPANI Fellow
PPA Councilor for Il- 2nd Term
Treasurer- Northern Il PPA
PPA Affiliate Juror ( as of last Oct)
Scholarship-Women in Management McHenry County
Volunteer adict
All round fun person! LOL

Mark_McCall
05-01-2007, 03:46 PM
Past President, South Plains Professional Photographers Assoc.
2006-2007 Director at Large, Texas Professional Photographers Assoc.
Webmaster, Southwest Professional Photographers Assoc. www. swppa.com
(Regional affiliate for Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana)

Gregory_Aide
05-09-2007, 05:59 PM
Matt Haff - Professional Photographers of America, Web Designer.

Stewart_Schulze
07-25-2007, 02:47 AM
Stewart Schulze
1st Vice president Professional Photographers of California
AV director for the Western States Convention
PPA Councilor

Kathryn_Northcott
07-25-2007, 04:02 AM
Kathryn Northcott M.Photog., Cr., Certified, PPANI-fellow, APPI-Assoc.Fellow.
President of Pro. Photogs ***'n of Northern Illinois - 2000 & 2005 (PPANI)
Current President Assoc. Pro Photogs of Illinois (APPI)
Board of Governors of the newest regional affiliate M.A.R.C. - Mid America Regional Conference.

Leon_Adelstone
07-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Hey everyone,

It would be nice to know who, where and how we serve.

Leon Adelstone: Sometimes American twist, sometimes slice with top spin.:D

Leon_Adelstone
07-25-2007, 06:28 PM
OK...All kidding aside:

Leon Adelstone: Many positions in South Carolina Professional Photographers Assoc. (currently PPSC), including President and Chairman. SEPPA Board of Governors one year. Convention Speaker, Salon judge, and Seminar instructor.

Small Business counselor, Workshop instructor, and team leader for SCORE; as well as Hillsborough county (Florida) Vice-Chairman for 2 1/2 years.

Don_Barnes
08-09-2007, 08:18 PM
President Texas Professional Photographers Association 2007-2008, Past President Dallas Professional Photographers Association 1985, Life Member Dallas Professional Photographers Association 2004, Past President Metroplex Professional Photographers 1996. PPA councilor 2007-2009

Rick_Massarini
08-11-2007, 07:03 AM
PP of Louisiana - Board of Directors and PPLA Secretary-elect.
PP of Louisiana Photographic Competition Committee Chairman.
"Senior Volunteer", PPA International Judging for many years...
Received the PPA "Directors Award" in 2006 for Service to our profession.

Wayne_Rawson
08-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Currently Vice President and President elect for 2008 for the Professional Photographers of Miss. & Ala.

D._Craig_Flory
08-13-2007, 04:30 PM
Hi Wayne;

Wow !!! Most people have enough work as prez of one state. You will be the prez of two. I hope your board of governors, and vice presidents, are a big help to you. More power to you !!!!!!!!!

Wayne_Rawson
08-13-2007, 04:40 PM
Maybe two states, but it is one association. Still allot of work and allot of area to cover. I am currently trying to put together two seminars and a convention for next year. I need a source for "reasonable" talent. Most of these guys want way more than this small association can afford. But I need good talent to keep the membership up, informed and excited about belonging to this association.

Rick_DeCamp
12-31-2007, 07:12 PM
Does anyone know what the requirements are for an affiliate group to be able to hand out merits for print competitions. I've called Marissa Pitts several times and can't seem to get a call back to answer my question.

I"m a past President and current board member of the Twin Cities PPA in Minnesota.

Rick DeCamp

D._Craig_Flory
12-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Hi Rick;

Each group is alloted X number of merits for a year. Normally one merit is given for speaking at up to a one day program. (except for the convention when speakers get two merits ... for even a 2 hour early bird program) I've spoken a number of times at sub-state level associations but don't know exactly how many are alloted for a year. I would think it depends on how many meetings you have a year and how many speakers for each meeting you have.

Michael_Gan
12-31-2007, 08:09 PM
The allotment is based on the number of PPA members you have in your affiliate. When you renew your association's membership with PPA, there is a request for you to list your PPA members.

Don_Barnes
12-31-2007, 08:23 PM
Does anyone know what the requirements are for an affiliate group to be able to hand out merits for print competitions. I've called Marissa Pitts several times and can't seem to get a call back to answer my question.

I"m a past President and current board member of the Twin Cities PPA in Minnesota.

Rick DeCamp

As far as I know only Regional Affiliated Groups and PPA print committee give print merits. I am not aware of any state or local guilds that are accredited to give exhibition merits.

Michael_Gan
12-31-2007, 08:46 PM
Oops, misread based on D.C.'s comment....

The merits I spoke about are for speaking and end of year competitions for your judges only. There are no provisions for print merits in a local affiliate.

Rick, as a recommendation, have one long standing member who has close ties to PPA be a perpetual Merit supervisor. This way, you won't have a president scratching their heads every year (I'm the supervisor for my affiliate).

D._Craig_Flory
12-31-2007, 09:11 PM
My post only talked about merits for teaching. No state association can give out print merits. They can give education merits if set up special with PPA. ( I have received a few that way at out state C.P.P. programs and I think we paid something like $25.00 each)

Rick_Massarini
01-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Does anyone know what the requirements are for an affiliate group to be able to hand out merits for print competitions.
Rick DeCamp

The only place that a print can receive an exhibition merit (for print competition) is the PPA International Exhibition. No state or local affiliate can bestow a merit on a print. The PPA Regionals do not give merits either - they give "Seals-of-Approval". If a print is accepted (scores 80 or better) at a PPA affilliated regional judging, the print receives a "Seal Of Approval" - it does not receive it's merit until that print is submitted to the VERY NEXT PPA International Judging. At the International Judging, the print will be accepted for exhibition and will be judged for possible inclusion in the Loan Collection. This next part is very important - If the print is not submitted to the VERY NEXT International Judging, the seal becomes void. So if you hang a print at a regional and do not send it to the International Judging, the print does not receive a merit. If prints are received that are sealed from a previous (not the current) year, the print will be submitted to be judged for acceptance, just like it was unsealed. If it is accepted, it gets judged for Loan.

Rick_DeCamp
01-02-2008, 03:33 PM
Thanks to all for answering my question.

To make sure I have it right. Seal of Approval can only be awarded at a regional print competition, not at a state level or lower? Once this has been attained a print needs to be sent to a PPA competition to recieve a merit.

Thanks again to all.

Rick DeCamp

Mark_McCall
01-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Rick,
That is correct.

Here in Texas, our state and regional affiliates take turns putting on the convention.
ie: one year will be a TPPA convention, the next year will be a SWPPA convention.

But at the state convention, the print competition is still run by our regional affiliate, SWPPA.
So, if you get an 80 at TPPA (state affiliate), you get the seal from SWPPA.

Not sure how other regionals do it around the country.

Rocky Moutain PPA went belly up last year.
SWPPA is absorbing some of the states in RMPPA, with the exception of Colorado, if memory serves.
Members of the old Rocky Mountain affiliate will now enter their prints in SWPPA's print competition in Feb.

Rick_DeCamp
01-02-2008, 08:58 PM
That's actually how the Minnesota PPA and Northern Lights regional work, trading off. We were just wondering what we could offer at our level to our members other than a great testing board for taking a print to the next level.

Thanks again to all.

Rick DeCamp

MarieLeslie
01-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Hey, Marc Benjamin, long time no "see". Good to see you here.

For the rest of you, Marie Leslie

Past President, New Mexico,

PPA Liaison, for PPA New MExico,

SWPPA board member from NM

PPA National Councilmember from NM

dana_nordlund
02-23-2008, 01:43 PM
Dana Nordlund - starting my 3rd year as President of SNAPP (Southwestern New York Association of Professional Photographers), our state association, PPSNYS, is made up of 11 sections.

BTW, if anyone is looking for speaking merits, we hold our meetings on the 2nd Wednesday each month. Contact me and we'll find a way to get you here. D. Craig had a good time when he came up, right buddy?:cool:

Paul_Finkelstein
02-23-2008, 01:50 PM
I bring the screen and projector to my local ppa affiliate guild meeting.
:)
Kindest regards,
Paul

D._Craig_Flory
02-23-2008, 03:00 PM
Dana Nordlund - starting my 3rd year as President of SNAPP (Southwestern New York Association of Professional Photographers), our state association, PPSNYS, is made up of 11 sections.

BTW, if anyone is looking for speaking merits, we hold our meetings on the 2nd Wednesday each month. Contact me and we'll find a way to get you here. D. Craig had a good time when he came up, right buddy?:cool:

Dana is correct. They have a great group. The meeting, when I spoke, was held in a members studio. The meeting had food too so you also get to eat. The night I spoke, another New York group came to hear me speak. So the splinter groups in New York keep up on who the other groups are bringing in. If anyone has a chance to do a program for them you will have a good time.

Todd_Reichman
03-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Hey all,

Not a leader by any means, but I took the steps to join my local affiliate yesterday. Looking forward to getting involved. I did try to join over a year ago, and ddn't get any response back. However, this time out both folks that I spoke with were vey cordial, helpful and welcoming.

So, take a chance and join today!

- trr

Jackie_Haggerty
03-08-2008, 02:19 AM
Hey all,

Not a leader by any means, but I took the steps to join my local affiliate yesterday. Looking forward to getting involved. I did try to join over a year ago, and ddn't get any response back. However, this time out both folks that I spoke with were vey cordial, helpful and welcoming.

So, take a chance and join today!

- trr

*GASP* Really?!

Todd_Reichman
03-08-2008, 02:52 AM
jackie, is that a gasp because I joined, a gasp because they were nice, or a gasp because they accepted me?

- trr

Jackie_Haggerty
03-08-2008, 03:23 AM
Todd- a happy gasp because you joined! :D

bob_hancock
03-08-2008, 03:52 AM
Hi All,
I am Bob Hancock, from Johnstown, Pa.
Serve on both Pennsylvania and Triangle Photographers board of Governors.
Help with Print Competition, and other miscellaneous duties. Always willing to help!
For the last several years have hosted PPA super Mondays at our studio.
Have been a Volunteer speaker for PPA of Pennsylvania and other Pennsylvania Guilds.

D._Craig_Flory
03-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Hi All,
I am Bob Hancock, from Johnstown, Pa.
Serve on both Pennsylvania and Triangle Photographers board of Governors.
Help with Print Competition, and other miscellaneous duties. Always willing to help!
For the last several years have hosted PPA super Mondays at our studio.
Have been a Volunteer speaker for PPA of Pennsylvania and other Pennsylvania Guilds.

I will attest to how hard Bob works. Having served on the PPAofPa board for 7 years in the past, myself, I know it's not easy. Besides running the entire organization, as a board member you also chair one or more committees. There are people in our state group always willing to help and he is one of them. I still chair the security committee. When I have needed help, guarding the door to the trade show, he has always pitched in and helped.

bob_hancock
03-11-2008, 02:20 AM
Thanks Craig,
Those were kind words, most of the time I fell I should be doing more!

Kirk_Kief
11-17-2008, 11:04 PM
Hi,
Past President of Florida, Current Competition Manager and Webmaster. Two time Past President of PPNorth Central Florida. I also play a little role in the workings of Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep. PPA Councilor.
I've got the 'Yes' word down pat. Now I gotta work on that 'N_' word!