PDA

View Full Version : Critique por favor

JohnHeckler
02-03-2007, 03:24 AM
I know, I have posted this before but did not get any comments ... yes, I know, that should tell me all I need to know, but just in case I want to give this another try.

I really like it, but I know the boys, so I must not be looking at it objectively ... please come to my rescue :-)

It's probably not got the impact ...

How about "The Four Musketeers"?

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/jthphotography/Crouch/JTH_9030ed-sepia8x10-low-res.jpg

Dave_Cisco
02-03-2007, 06:05 AM
White T-shirts show...lighting not consistant across all 4, there's not anything happening or implied to make the image special, and hair blends into background.

D._Craig_Flory
02-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Hi Tim;

It is a nice image of 4 kids grinning at the camera. Where is the impact ? What is unique enough about the image to make 5 judges sit up and gaze in awe at it ... after having already judged a gazillion other images ?

Now, instead, picture those same boys outdoors putting together a snowman. One is rolling the head towards the body, one is putting coal in as eyes, one is putting in branches as arms, and the last is putting a corn cob pipe in the mouth. It's created at a distance with a skating pond visible behind them. Ok ... have I painted an idea in your mind ? For competition, think beyond the every day and ordinary. If you don't own any, start buying PPA General Collection or Loan Collection or Kodak Gallery Award books to see what type images do get merits.

Heidi_Theriault
02-03-2007, 12:54 PM
Th boys are cute. I like the color tone. Most of their smiles look real (except 2nd from left). Dave makes good points but I always have the same problems with mine. I think if you know them then you probably could've gotten a much more fun picture. Let 'em wrestle around, climb on top of each other... then at the end arrange them for a traditional pose. The expressions on their faces will be much more real since they'll still be in goof-off mode.

JohnHeckler
02-03-2007, 02:39 PM
Thanks Dave, Craig, and Heidi. Points are well taken. Ironically, I think they actually had natural smiles knowing them, especially the little guy, and especially considering most of the others from the session. I had this one pretty much ruled out, but every time I look at it, I like it. Again, I think it is just because I know them. They are an amazingly well behaved group of lads :-)

Lori_Clapp
02-03-2007, 02:48 PM
John, I didn't post anything earlier, because all I can give is my opinion as opposed to a critique, but I wanted to say I really liked it because the smiles all looked so real - not forced. They just look like happy, close kids! FWIW!

Keith_A_Howe
02-04-2007, 07:18 PM
John I know you emailed this to me but I was in Omaha with my father and didn't check my email.... kinda isolated my self from some things ya know... so here goes.

Nice iamge for parents and display, just not for composition. If I were on the panel I would question the lighting, boys 2 and 4 have a nice hair light where 1 and 3 do not in fact thier hair blends into the background. Boy 3 has a kicker (rim) light hiting his shoulder that boy 4 should be blocking unless this is a composit image. This same kicker light is hitting boy 3's face - I'm not seeing this effect as a possitive for this paticular image. Boy 1 is flat light and the others have a ratio I would guess to be about 1 to 3. Clothing is rumpled and t shirts are showing. For all these reasons I would see it in the above average area unless it set infront of the judges too long and they started to annalyze it too much then I think it would drop to the average area. JMO Keith

JohnHeckler
02-05-2007, 02:53 AM
John I know you emailed this to me but I was in Omaha with my father and didn't check my email.... kinda isolated my self from some things ya know... so here goes.

Thanks for the crit Keith! I know you and Holly have alot going on and I appreciate any and all thoughts you have and take the time for me. It is much appreciated. I am always worried I am over extending my welcome with you guys ... so please, if I do, let me know.

Your comments reinforce what I think I knew already, but the specifics were great and much appreciated!