PDA

View Full Version : Images for comp

MarieLeslie
02-01-2007, 04:12 AM
State print competition is coming up. I can enter five, so I'd appreciate any feedback. Title suggestions are always welcome. I swear it is the hardest part of print comp--and I'm a writer, too. Ack.

MarieLeslie
02-01-2007, 04:14 AM
more images

MarieLeslie
02-01-2007, 04:14 AM
and a couple more

MarieLeslie
02-01-2007, 04:15 AM
last one, I promise.

D._Craig_Flory
02-01-2007, 01:44 PM
Hi Marie;

When I want titles I surround myself with the following: TV Guide (movie and TV show titles work often), Dictionary, Top 40 Hits from 1955 to 1985 (song titles are great !) plus I have a set of 15 books I bought from a Master, Craftsman many years ago and I get great ideas from those and the PPA Loan Books. I used to also have lunch with an area photographer and we would bounce title ideas off each other.

Ok, image #1 ..."Precious" #2 ..."Waiting For Spring" #3 ..."Natures Power" #4 ..."Old West Revisited" #5 ..."Alternative Transportation #6 ..."So in Love #7 Beauty in Hiding .

Those were very quick. I recommend keeing small versions with you and when inspiration hits you ... write it down. I'm attaching what I carried with me last year so I could write down ideas as they came. Maybe you can make up something similar. Good luck !

Keith_A_Howe
02-01-2007, 05:10 PM
MarieLeslie
Ice Flower, ice blossom, blooming ice.
I hope you don't mind I did a quick change to your ice image. I simply dodged the high lights of the bloom and a bit on the ice. Then I burned the shaddows a bit to make it richer and more 3d like. I like this image and the lightning image the best. Touched by god. bolted, struck down, titles are not my strong suit. Good Luck Keith

MarieLeslie
02-02-2007, 11:33 PM
Thanks for the feedback. It's been a busy couple of days--photographing eye doctors and race cars. My business is definitely getting diverse.

I like your idea list, Craig. I will definitely be copying that idea for myself. Still working on some titles, though I am liking "alternative transportation."

I think the flower and lightning are my favorites as well--had a lot to choose from in the lightning category this year--we had it nearly every night and very dramatic, but this one worked best. My husband suggested "bolt from the blue" but it's a little cliche for me. Of course, that probably means I should use it. My titles are generally too obscure or literary and the judges don't get them.

David_A._Lottes
02-02-2007, 11:47 PM
My titles are generally too obscure or literary and the judges don't get them.

My old boss entered a ballerina performing a ballet move called Pas de duex

When the print came around for the judges to see the handler announced it as Pass da ducks

Keep the titles simple.;)

D._Craig_Flory
02-03-2007, 12:19 AM
I agree. I know I have no idea how to pronounce French words. The person announcing the titles is not a linguist and language expert. If it's not main stream words ... find something else.

MarieLeslie
02-03-2007, 01:33 AM
Yep. My first year, we entered a really great image and called it "Veni, Vidi, Sleddi". It had to do with sledding at White Sands. The announcer completely butchered it and after having to explain it to at least 20 people, we changed it to "Conquering the Dune."

I've narrowed it down to the five we're going to enter--all but the first and the last images.

Mark_Levesque
02-03-2007, 01:31 PM
My old boss entered a ballerina performing a ballet move called Pas de duex

When the print came around for the judges to see the handler announced it as Pass da ducks
Next time spell it Pas de deux and maybe they'll get it right. ;)

David_A._Lottes
02-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Next time spell it Pas de deux and maybe they'll get it right. ;)

HA! I'm sure she did spell it right Mark. She's not a moron like me. I remember being told never to use more than six words in a title either. Can't remember who said that but I always try to keep it under six words including articles (a, an, and, the).

Tracy_McGee
02-04-2007, 08:33 PM
I am in love with the lightening image! And I'm laughing my rear off at "pass da ducks" LOL!!!!

MarieLeslie
02-06-2007, 02:27 PM
Well, we had print competition. I scored 82 on the lightning--and a hotel employee asked to buy the print--and 81 on the flower. The judges suggested I crop it just above the bottom leaves and it would score much higher at regional. The others all scored 78.

Jeff_Dachowski
02-06-2007, 02:29 PM
Marie,
Congratulations on your blue ribbons!! Nice job!!
Jeff

Keith_A_Howe
02-07-2007, 05:08 AM
Congrats. Good Job
Keith