PDA

View Full Version : Possible Portrait for CC

cat_broderick
01-31-2007, 03:48 PM
I am considering entering this in my state comp. This is the first time I have posted here for critique but enjoy reading all the feedback you have given to others.

D._Craig_Flory
01-31-2007, 05:09 PM
Hi Cat;

When I read your name I think of one of my favorite movies "Cat Balou" *S*

First thing I'll tell you is what has been pounded into my head by dozens upon dozens of speakers ... "Kids need room to grow". She is too big in your presentation. The double accent lines draw a bit too much attention to themselves also. Her eyes are positioned in between golden mean points.

I'm posting her smaller with her in the 4th quadrant. I added a 1 pixel accent line around the image layer and another on the background with lower opacity. I also upped the contrast just a touch in an adjustment layer.

I did try "flipping it" but wasn't sure if that helped or not. She is looking towards the right side. We read left to right so our eyes are already starting on the right. Ideally, she would be positioned where she is but faced towards her right . (our left)

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/kelwebEnhanced.jpg

cat_broderick
01-31-2007, 05:16 PM
I do like that positioning. Thanks for replying. Do you think the image itself would score well, or would it just be so so? Does the necklace bother you, or the trim on her shirt?

This is not my child but somehow I am drawn to this image over and over. Interestingly, I created a similar image of her a year previous that I entered in comp (posted below) so was really struck when I created this one by accident in this years session.

Joe_Galioto
01-31-2007, 05:17 PM
cat,
pretty image.
maybe the matting could be a bit darker.
i'd also remove the lone grass going towards her cheek.
one thing i always do - reverse the image (as we used to say flop the negative)and see which way you like it better-you've probally looked at this image quite a bit so you have to see it with new eyes. judges will always look at the way the viewer's eyes are directed through the image. since in the western world we read from left to right- entering the print into her face instead of the back of her head could make a difference. I'm not saying this is what you should do - but it's just a little trick to improve the chances of some photos. after all compitition is not about reallity - it's about winning.
or i like to call "bending over for the judges"
good luck
joe
now i'd like to hear what others think.

Holly_Howe
01-31-2007, 05:32 PM
Beautiful portrait to hang on the studio wall but maybe not the best choice for competition. I think this is a very sweet image of this child and will score in the 75-77 range, but I don't think it would merit The light is a little directional - but it is broad not short. The image could handle a higher ratio. Another small issue is the lowkey clothing with a hikey background.

Now speaking generally - not to Cat -As I mentioned in another thread - just because an image is not the right choice for competition does not mean we do not like it or we feel it is unsuccessful (bad). We have lots of samples on our studio walls that would never merit - but they are still images we are proud of - it's just picking the right ones to enter.
Also - you have to consider what your goals are. Are you only interested in entering "sure things" or are you interested in entering your best stuff and seeing how you can make it even better? Are you gonna be upset if you don't get 4 merits? Or are good solid above average scores okay with you? Of course we all want 4 for 4 - but the reality is - thats not the norm.

Holly

cat_broderick
01-31-2007, 06:07 PM
Thank you all for your feedback. I will still love this image even if I dont enter it and thats fine with me. I just wondered if others thought as much of it as I did. Oh well!

I am more interested in entering sure things. I entered last year and received high 70's, I'd like to change that this year. I think I have learned a lot and received some great feedback from photogs with lots of blues.