PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts?

Valerie_Harte
01-31-2007, 06:41 AM
Another I have been playing with. So far the best title I have come up with is Natural Beauty... and I think I need to clone out the bracelet. What else?

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/vharte/NaturalBeauty4x52.jpg

Colvin_Eccleston
01-31-2007, 11:51 AM
I like the bracelet because it is a personal touch but I find the darker tone of the hand/forearm distracting.

D._Craig_Flory
01-31-2007, 01:23 PM
Hi Val;

Here are my thoughts on your image. First of all ... I would have mostly back lit this with a nice ratio. You lit this very flat and all of her is lit. Contrast is very low. It could have been a very powerful low key image. But by lighting her like this it would have been better on a hi-key background.

Her hand is cut off .. that is known as amputation in competition.

What is the center of interest on this image ? With a move the belly button tatoo could be on the 1st qaudrant and her bracelet on the 2nd quadrant.

I'd love to see you do a session like this again and approach the lighting in a different way. For now, using the image you presented, here is my version. I've left my composition grid on top (low opacity) so you can see why I moved the subject layer.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/NaturalBeauty4x52Enhanced.jpg

JohnHeckler
01-31-2007, 01:50 PM
Craig has articulated my thoughts on this image (and more) as well ... FWIW. Stroke line was a bit too much, imho.

Holly_Howe
01-31-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi, D.Craig mentioned the flat lighting challenge. IMO that would make this an uphill battle to get a merit for this image.

On another note - we talk about impact a lot. Wheneever a subject matter becomes extrememly popular it loses whatever impact it might have had just from uniquness. Expectant mommas are flooding print competitions and as such are not as unique as they were 3-4 years ago.FWIW

Holly

Jane_Ann_Long
01-31-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi, D.Craig mentioned the flat lighting challenge. IMO that would make this an uphill battle to get a merit for this image.

On another note - we talk about impact a lot. Wheneever a subject matter becomes extrememly popular it loses whatever impact it might have had just from uniquness. Expectant mommas are flooding print competitions and as such are not as unique as they were 3-4 years ago.FWIW

Holly

Holly you are so right about the uniqueness factor. I once didn't make it into an art show because all my paintings were of old barns. Remember when thats all one seemed to see? I was told that the judge made the comment that if she saw one more barn she was going to SCREAM!

Holly_Howe
01-31-2007, 03:11 PM
Well . . . back in the early to mid 80's print comps were "flooded" with close up character studies of craggy older men. I have been seeing a revival of those for the last year. I would think they will continue to be "unique for another year or two and then will pass out of style again. So if I were trying to catch the next big wave - I would look at Loan books from the late 80's and early 90's Just my thoughts.

Holly

Valerie_Harte
01-31-2007, 03:44 PM
Craig- Thanks for the feedback. Can't redo this one- the child is a year and a half now. LOL. I was trying to go for the inverse silloutte effect. I saw a painting like that at an art show and loved it... guess I was NOT successful. That's why I am so thankful for the feedback on this forum... I did the big no no and fell in love with the concept but couldn't pull back and objectively look at it. Thank you. I did a maternity shoot yesterday and I thought about this forum. Turned off and down some of the lights and actually did a few that were completely about hard lighting for me. I used to play with light alot... not sure when I went to the flat department store lighting again... but thanks to you all I am aware of it again.

Holly_Howe
01-31-2007, 04:03 PM
guess I was NOT successful.

Nobody said that!!!! Or even thought that! It IS a successful portrait - just maybe not the best choice for print competition. Micheal Jordan was a very successful athlete - but even sports dummy that I am know he would never have been picked in the NFL draft. Not every successful image is the right image to enter. That's what I was commenting on - not whether I felt it was a good image.

Holly

D._Craig_Flory
01-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Hi Val;

I agree with Holly ! It will make a good client image and studio sample. Just take what everyone has told you for furure sessions. And keep this in mind ... do what feels "safe" or the client wants and then do a few more for you and possible comp. images.

Holly ... I know what you meant about the "faces". A lot of photographers found old winos to photograph, and get a model release. It shows the difference between images of men and women. With men it pays to create images of a rugged face worn by time. And a full beard didn't hurt either. I agree about trends. The Beltami Effect was seen a lot after he started getting merits with it. Cycles come and go. So what was old can be new again.

Valerie_Harte
01-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Holly... haha... sorry... my smile didn't come through in the post. I am ok with it as a client image (actually this is my wedding partner... not even a client) when I said NOT successful I didn't mean the image I meant my far out view of reverse sillouttes and impactful artsy look... I see it now. And I was laughing at myself for "falling in love" with the concept so of course instead of "mommy goggles" like my clients I had "concept goggles" about the image. Thanks for being thoughtful about it though... :-)