PDA

View Full Version : Competition Critique ... if you would be so kind :-)

JohnHeckler
01-30-2007, 02:38 AM
I don't know ... I guess it is worth seeing if any of you guys like this. It makes a nice double page spread for the album anyway :-)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/jthphotography/2007%20Mid%20East%20Print%20Comp/WeddingCompPrint1-1-1.jpg

Lori_Clapp
01-30-2007, 02:43 AM
I L-O-V-E it, but what the heck do I know? It looks like it has a pink tint to the whole image, but I'm on a laptop. Does it? That's part of what I love about it. It's just a very cool image!! But like I said, I'm not a judge, not qualified to be a judge, and haven't even ever been judged yet (at least not in a print competition!) So there you have it - my humble little opinion!

Holly_Howe
01-30-2007, 02:52 AM
I like this too. Is there a tad more room at the bottom? So the couple could have a little more space under their feet? And is the couple sharp? Can't tell here of course. It's also hard to see light on their faces like you would in a
16x20 - so check if that needs any tweaking. Lori mentioned it looks pink to her - doesn't to me but maybe you could purposely make it a very light pink . . .and then title it "Tickled Pink" Hey - the fee for a great title . . . if it merits . . . is dinner with dessert! Ask Jeff LOL!!!! Holly

Holly_Howe
01-30-2007, 02:53 AM
I'm thinking maybe get rid of all the tree branches above the arch - but maybe not - messs around with it and see what you think.
Holly

Mark_Levesque
01-30-2007, 03:46 AM
I see lots of potential here. It's a strong graphic image, that just needs a little tweaking.

Holly_Howe
01-30-2007, 03:49 AM
When I was shoing thsi image to keith I noticed the white line around the arch left from burning the sky. That will need to be fixed or no way this will go. I assume this was just a quickie job to show the image.

Holly

Lori_Clapp
01-30-2007, 04:04 AM
The mat doesn't look pink anymore - did you change it? I liked the first color better.

JohnHeckler
01-30-2007, 05:07 AM
Thanks for all the feedback peeps! I did repost almost immediately with a darker selection for the matte as I thought the pinik-ish color was off ... did folks actually like that?

Mark, what tweaking do I need?!?! I am blind to my own images ... I don't know why, but I never see things until people point them out to me.

Holly, what "burning" are you refering to? I did not burn anything in this image. I think I see what may look like burning at about 10 o'clock immediately above the arch ... is that what you are talking about?

BTW, I do have more at the bottom, but it is ugly and

Here is the original file:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/jthphotography/2007%20Mid%20East%20Print%20Comp/JTH_0471original-72dpi.jpg

and here is the pink-ish mat:

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k7/jthphotography/2007%20Mid%20East%20Print%20Comp/WeddingCompPrint1-1.jpg

Help! :confused:

Stacey_West
01-30-2007, 05:51 AM
I like this image very much... I thought the previous comments about the tree branches and room at the bottom were good so I messed around with the image some. I added a few tree branches on the right to give it some balance.

I know the colors on this don't match the original and PS work was about a fast as I could go so the cloning isn't too good either but anyway...

Mark_Levesque
01-30-2007, 10:59 AM
If it were my image, John, I'd clone out some of the branches on top of the arch, and clone out some of the bushes in front of the the stage. I'd try to show some of the wall in front of the stage as the your crop is a little too abrupt. I'd also leave in a bit more above the arch, like Stacey's crop. So if you look at Stacey's version, mine would be similar to that except cleaning up the area in front of the stage so there were only the bushes on either end. I prefer the toning of the first one to the rosier tone.

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
01-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Mark said... except leave the color in the blue and bride and groom? I know I'm likely in the minority...just came to life when I saw the blue.

Jeff_Dachowski
01-30-2007, 12:38 PM
John,
THere are a lot of little thing that could make this image go. Please take a look at your symetry thous. If a plague is not on one side, remove the other. Also consider a vertical presentation, not horizontal. I also think it need to be cropped in a bit more on the sides. Good luck.
Jeff

Lori_Clapp
01-30-2007, 12:48 PM
I'm asking this question because I really don't know - does the shadow on the inside of the arch make any difference? Should he try to fix it or leave it? I just wondered if it would bother the judges.

Also, Jeff, how would do a vertical presentation without losing any of the arch?

Holly_Howe
01-30-2007, 02:06 PM
Holly, what "burning" are you refering to? I did not burn anything in this image. I think I see what may look like burning at about 10 o'clock immediately above the arch ... is that what you are talking about?

BTW, I do have more at the bottom, but it is ugly and

When you look at the B&W worked image there is a thin line of lighter area in the sky outlining the arch. It shows up everywhere except where the trees are. So what it looks like is that you burned the sky right up to the arch but missed that thin lighter area. I know you said there was no burning but this lighter line does not show up in the color version.

I know you think those bushes at the bottom are ugly - cause they are! But by completely cropping them out - the bride and groom are sooooo tight to the bottom. I believe judges will be more put off by that than a few ugly bush tops. JMO.

Lori asked about the uneven light inside the arch. Yes- I would like it better if it wasn't such a distinct line from shadow to highlight areas but that is not the easiest fix - so you decide how much effort to are willing to put into this.

Holly

JohnHeckler
01-30-2007, 02:31 PM
... So what it looks like is that you burned the sky right up to the arch but missed that thin lighter area. I know you said there was no burning but this lighter line does not show up in the color version. ...

I think this came from the transform->scaling as I squashed it down some. I do see what you are talking about ... I'll have to play with that some.

I know you think those bushes at the bottom are ugly - cause they are! But by completely cropping them out - the bride and groom are sooooo tight to the bottom. I believe judges will be more put off by that than a few ugly bush tops. JMO.

Yep, I see your point. I see if I can clone them out successfully.

I really appreciate all the feedback from folks. Great points from everyone and thanks so much for taking the time!

JohnHeckler
01-30-2007, 02:33 PM
John,
THere are a lot of little thing that could make this image go. Please take a look at your symetry thous. If a plague is not on one side, remove the other. Also consider a vertical presentation, not horizontal. I also think it need to be cropped in a bit more on the sides. Good luck.
Jeff

Thanks Jeff. When you say "consider a vertical presentation ...", do you still think the actual image should be somewhat panoramic, but just placed either low or high in the 16x20 matte?

D._Craig_Flory
01-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi John;

Here is my take on it ... I call it "Fantasy Dance".

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/FantasyDance.jpg

Jeff_Dachowski
01-30-2007, 04:00 PM
John,
Yes,
Panoramic, but at the upper top of the frame.
Jeff

Dave_Cisco
01-30-2007, 04:06 PM
I'm thinking maybe get rid of all the tree branches above the arch - but maybe not - messs around with it and see what you think.
Holly

That was my first thought..:)

JohnHeckler
01-31-2007, 03:45 AM
Anyone want to help me with a title on this? One thing this image kinda looked like to me, as this is weird I admit, is that the bride and groom kinda looked like the hands on a clock, basically representing 1:00pm or a little after :p ... so I was trying to think of a title that might help suggest that.

I have failed to come up with anything that wasn't completely stupid and in trying it out on folks to see if they "saw" the clock thing proved to be a miss.

But, does any of that invoke any ideas for a title?

D._Craig_Flory
01-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Hi John;

I guess you didn't like my title of "Fantasy Dance ?

JohnHeckler
01-31-2007, 01:47 PM
Hi John;

I guess you didn't like my title of "Fantasy Dance ?

Honesty Craig, I guess I did not really. Although I appreciate what you did and it did give me some more ideas. And I like what you do to images about 99.99999% of the time! :)

I think I was trying to go for a BIG scene, small subject, and classic look. So, I had that thought process going into it. Not that I achieved it, but that was my "vision", if you can call it that.

I'm still lost for a title. I liked Holly's except that I'm not sure I want to go the whole "pink tint" route.

Keith_A_Howe
01-31-2007, 04:16 PM
John here is my quick attempt. the sky is not right but it is the best I have available on my lap top as I am away from the studio at the present time. there are a few details that I found that would need to be fixed but this will give ideas. If the file was larger I could have checked the lighting on the couple but I can't here. I am not good with titles but: In love's shelter, Standing the test of time, Love's Dance...
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Heckler.jpg
Good Luck
Keith

D._Craig_Flory
01-31-2007, 04:28 PM
Hi Keith;

I get caught up in always trying to find a way to have the point of interest on one of the golden mean points. I like your version a lot but they are in between quadrants. Talk to me... as a judge how much would not fitting a quadrant effect score. It doesn't work with the Bakker Saddle either. And this isn't a case of Crash Point Symetry drawing eyes to them. If it was, bottom middle is common.

Holly_Howe
01-31-2007, 04:38 PM
I am not good with titles but: In love's shelter, Standing the test of time, Love's Dance...

You are right oh light of my life - you aren't good with titles. I like "Center Stage" or "Opening Night"

Holly

Mark_Levesque
01-31-2007, 04:54 PM
Holly's on the same track as what I was thinking before I got to her reply: Love Takes Center Stage

Keith_A_Howe
01-31-2007, 05:08 PM
Hi Keith;

I get caught up in always trying to find a way to have the point of interest on one of the golden mean points. I like your version a lot but they are in between quadrants. Talk to me... as a judge how much would not fitting a quadrant effect score. It doesn't work with the Bakker Saddle either. And this isn't a case of Crash Point Symetry drawing eyes to them. If it was, bottom middle is common.

Some images just do not fit the rule of thirds or bakers saddle or bullseye compositions. I feel as a jurror I would look at the image in front of me and realize these issues. Then I would ask Does it affect the impact of the image? As for this image, I see composition within the image.I see thirds in the placrment of the couple within the arch. Kind of a sub composition.

Now to answer your question, how much this effect the score. Composition effects the score by not having as dramatic of impact. Impact is the most important part of the image. Yes I feel this image could be stronger. I would like it to have dramatic lighting (I think this is weak as far as lighting is concerned but I can't tell for sure on this file). I do not know if I would feel that the composition would be improved with the couple over to the thirds of the image, because of the arch within the stage. I opened the image and copied the couple and moved them around on the stage. End result I would like to have them in the lower right third or close to it but the improvement is minimal do to the presence of the arch.

This image in my opinion is one that could be a merit (assuming the print quality and artwork is done well). Do I think it is going to have a chance at the exceptional catagory ??? probably not but we are looking to see what could be done with the image and if it is merit worthy. IMHO I believe this is the case.
Keith

JohnHeckler
01-31-2007, 05:11 PM
Holly's on the same track as what I was thinking before I got to her reply: Love Takes Center Stage

This is brilliant! I bow to thee ... it also plays into the fact that the composition is primarily centered.

JohnHeckler
01-31-2007, 05:18 PM
John here is my quick attempt. the sky is not right but it is the best I have available on my lap top as I am away from the studio at the present time. there are a few details that I found that would need to be fixed but this will give ideas. If the file was larger I could have checked the lighting on the couple but I can't here. I am not good with titles but: In love's shelter, Standing the test of time, Love's Dance...
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Heckler.jpg
Good Luck
Keith

Keith, I REALLY like what you did to the image as far as cleaning up all the details. Do you really like the blue? I kinda did at first, but when I attempted the toning I applied, I thought it gave it a real classic feel, no?

Also, whenever I do that much cloning to my images, it seems as though the print quality takes a serious nose dive. Is that part and parcel with that kind of editing or do I still have WAY more learning in Photoshop ahead of me?

Holly_Howe
01-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Another title possibility "Something Blue"

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
01-31-2007, 07:34 PM
this image

and Holly's titles (yeah, Mark...your's too :)

Keith_A_Howe
02-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Keith, I REALLY like what you did to the image as far as cleaning up all the details. Do you really like the blue? I kinda did at first, but when I attempted the toning I applied, I thought it gave it a real classic feel, no?

Also, whenever I do that much cloning to my images, it seems as though the print quality takes a serious nose dive. Is that part and parcel with that kind of editing or do I still have WAY more learning in Photoshop ahead of me?

I can't answer the toneing as I am in omaha with my father in the hosp. With this laptop screen I can't see the toneing. I was working this image very fast so the sky is not quite right but it gives the idea. There is not a lot of cloneing done here, and yes a lot of cloning is usually easy to pick up on under the lights. This image would require a lot of work and the PS would need to be done very well but I do like the title and the potential here. I personally believe there is a merit in this image.
To fix the pavilion I dup the layer and flipped it then erased and lined up. I use the clone to fix the power lines just at the edges where it touches the white. Then I used the patch and healing brush to remove the rest of the lines. To put in the bush grass in the forground, I selected the lone clump and pasted and moved them in and around. Then I used the healing brush to fix and remove the trash and leaves in the forground. You may want to copy and patch the outer corners of the walls from another part of the image??? This is where art work will be the easiest to pick out. Oh on the pavillion when I flipped it there is a dark part of a light that is the same on both sides, take this dark part off on one side.
Good Luck

Keith