PDA

View Full Version : Title Me..... Affiliate Judges DON'T LOOK (Unless you are Holly and Keith!)

Jackie_Haggerty
01-30-2007, 01:25 AM
Here is an image I am thinking of sending to comp.... it needs a good title. A few suggestions are:

"See Mom, I Brushed!"

"Say, AHHHHH"

"Watch out Tooth Fairy!"

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/JackieHaggerty/4338V2RS.jpg

More to follow.....

Don_Chick
01-30-2007, 01:33 AM
A Photographer's Nightmare!

Jeff_Dachowski
01-30-2007, 01:37 AM
an hour and 12 mintues for this?

Mark_Turner
01-30-2007, 01:54 AM
"Put on a Happy Face!"
"Fear of Clowns"
"Look Ma! No Cavities!"

Jackie_Haggerty
01-30-2007, 02:19 AM
Here comes Chuckie?

Deb_Wat
01-30-2007, 03:07 AM
Jackie,

His funny face makes me think of Jack Nicholson as the Joker in Batman. Maybe Joker's wild?

I don't know, that's probably dumb, huh?

Holly_Howe
01-30-2007, 04:05 AM
"He Get's It From His Father"

Holly

Jackie_Haggerty
01-30-2007, 04:24 AM
Oh that's funny, Holly. What 's funny about it is when I showed the mom this image, she laughed and said he can fit his fist in his mouth, and he gets that from HER. ;)

She's probably appreciate that title.

Holly_Howe
01-30-2007, 04:37 AM
Anytime you can get the judges to laugh it's usually good for at least an extra point. Keith laughed out loud when I told him what I'd call it. I love the title if I do say so myself because it just paints a whole story. Most of the time I'm in favor of short titles but in this case I like this longer one. When I hear it and look at the print I can just see the frazzeled worn out mom rolling her eyes and letting out a big sigh as she is saying those words to the photographer. You know this was not the first wild expression and not the last in this session. The kid has probably already dismantled one camera and trashed a light or two. He has probably tried chin ups on the light rails and crawled inside a soft box. You know that the poor mom is run ragged and the dad just laughs at the son's "cute" antics. Am I trying to sell you on my title idea? You betcha - but all that is also exactly what I would say if I was on the panel and I had to defend this print in a challenge.

Fix the skin tones - even for a red head he looks to washed out. remember how bright judging lights will be.

Holly

Holly_Howe
01-30-2007, 04:39 AM
Visualizing this as a 16x20 - is there perhaps an inch of print space available above his upper arm? Just so it doesn't crop quite so close to his upper elbow? Not a crucial point - but I wouild like just a smidge more space.

Holly

Jackie_Haggerty
01-30-2007, 04:47 AM
Can do, Holly. I knew there was something that fit this little guy.

and just to tell the rest of the story.....

(in support of your sales pitch in the previous post.....)

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/JackieHaggerty/Liam2RS.jpg

Holly_Howe
01-30-2007, 03:12 PM
Jackie - The panel is cuter than the dickens and will be a source of great embarassment to Liam when it is displayed at his HS graduation reception. LOL! I like the B&W but just in case you were considering it - I would stay with the color for the comp. print. Red hair is sterotypically thought of as spitfire personality and so that perpetuates the story of this print.

Holly

Jackie_Haggerty
01-30-2007, 03:15 PM
For sure, Holly. I love his red hair too. The BW panel was just for your enjoyment.

Mark_Levesque
01-30-2007, 03:52 PM
Open Wide

Jackie_Haggerty
02-03-2007, 02:57 AM
This one is "Honey Wagon".

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/JackieHaggerty/HoneyWagonV2.jpg

Jackie_Haggerty
02-03-2007, 03:00 AM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/JackieHaggerty/4337V7RS2.jpg

Dave_Cisco
02-03-2007, 03:17 AM
At a minimum, I'd recommend moving those catchlights to her upper right. They're distracting in the middle of her eye.:)
Also kill the neck creases....no woman (or judge)wants to see them.

Keith_A_Howe
02-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Jackie
Here is a very fast version.... Note alot of times ovals will make a judge ask what is the maker hiding. In this case I think oval is the best crop as it plays to the 40's hollywood look. Title ... "Audry" (not sure I spelled it correctly) implying Audry Hepburn as this image reminds me of that era. Keith
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/imager410/Jackiegirl.jpg

Jackie_Haggerty
02-05-2007, 05:33 AM
How do I move catch lights and keep them real?

D._Craig_Flory
02-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Hi Jackie;

I like the buzzing bee ... but how did you capture that in February ? *S*

Keith_A_Howe
02-05-2007, 05:21 PM
How do I move catch lights and keep them real?

Jackie as with everything there is more than one way to do this. Some times I select the catch light and copy & paste then move it to where I want it, The lighting on the final image dictates where it should be. In this case at about 10:00 (ideal would be at about the 10:00 or 2:00) position within the eye. Then I go to the bottom layer and select the color from the pupil and spot it out, if it were being removed from partially with in the iris I would clone from the iris to remove it. The second method and the one I used here is to select the color from the whitest part of the eye then choose a brush that is the size you want the catchlight to be. Choose the softness of the brush based off of the softness in the image. Don't use too soft of a chatch light in a sharp image and viseversa too sharp of a catch light in a soft focus image. Then place the catch light at the same point in both eyes (yes I noticed that I was off a bit in one eye on my rushed sample). After the catch lights are placed and the old ones removed, I merge the eye layers with the base layer then select my dodge tool set to high lights and aprox 8-14%. I dodge the catchlight a bit (should be the whitest area in the face) and I dodge the cresent (moon shape high light opposite the catch light) several times to bring out the natural iris texture and colors. I then will lightly dodge the white of the eye next to the iris on both sides (this adds roundness to the eye). DO NOT dodge the entire white of the eye as it needs to keep the round shape. I will then select dodge midtones and a larger brush and gently dodge the upper eye lid (centered with the eye) to increase the brightness and roundness of the eyes. Next you can select dodge highlights small brush and go over the lashes top and bottom to define them. Then select burn shaddows small brush about 4% and go over the lashes to add drama.
This covers the eyes. I know you ask about the catch lights but I thought I would give info on the whole eye. Sorry if I got carried away.
Keith

Jackie_Haggerty
02-06-2007, 05:34 PM
Keith- thanks for the tutorial.....Any thoughts on these? Eyes? Which is a better presentation?

Version 2:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/JackieHaggerty/AudreyV2RS.jpg

Version 3:
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/JackieHaggerty/AudreyV3RS.jpg

Marc_Benjamin
02-06-2007, 05:59 PM
Hey J,

The eyes look pretty clean but almost to uniform. Normally when catchlights are up that high there are matching shadows on the nose or the eyelashes.

Also, since you moved the catchies there, try to see if you can fake the short light on her face as well.

Hate to say this but this one's a hard hang and her face isnt enough to carry the image.

Keith_A_Howe
02-07-2007, 04:50 AM
Jackie, I like the one with a bit more space but you need to tone down the collarbone. Also you moved the catch lights but didn't follow though with the lighting, Burn the side of the face closest to the camera especially the cheek and jaw line. Dodge the eyelids above the eye to brighten them, dodge the edge of the nose, lips, angels kiss, chin to give a hint of rim light to match the new catch lights. I did a fast version of this on my previous sample though I took her collarbone too far.
Sorry Marc but I have to disagree, I think this girls face will carry it if the artwork is carried out correctly. I think we will see a resurgence of Portraiture hanging and especially this 40s glam look. JMO Keith

Jackie_Haggerty
02-07-2007, 03:56 PM
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i240/JackieHaggerty/AudreyV3V2RS.jpg

Keith_A_Howe
02-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Jackie call me. 308-534-7909 Keith