PDA

View Full Version : Paging Jeff Dachowski...

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
01-29-2007, 03:35 AM
or anyone who can tell me...

Do comp prints have to have black edges? I don't see that in the rules but it's been mentioned in several threads....

JohnHeckler
01-29-2007, 03:42 AM
The comp prints don't "have to" have black edge, but if they don't it may take away from the print's "presentation" as it turns to be displayed to the judges ... so I've been told. It seems kinda funny to me, but apparently that can be distracting to them if they see a bright white edge come around with an image that is dark and I suppose vice versa.

George_Hawkins
01-29-2007, 12:29 PM
The comp prints don't "have to" have black edge, but if they don't it may take away from the print's "presentation" as it turns to be displayed to the judges ... so I've been told. It seems kinda funny to me, but apparently that can be distracting to them if they see a bright white edge come around with an image that is dark and I suppose vice versa.

You will understand fully, if you sit in audience. If a white board's core shows, it is just a little distracting as the medium gray spindle turns with print. Only one judge is straight on when seated, while the others will see the edges. Any small thing we can do, will minimze the reducing of a score. I do not say raise score, but white core may detract.

My observations, George

D._Craig_Flory
01-29-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi Sue Ellen;

The others are correct ... white edges on a low-key image will be distracting to the judges on the sides. The center judges won't see them.

I get my prints mounted on black core gator-foam. Not only don't you have to take a long time using a magic marker on the edges, gator-foam doesn't get dimples in the print surface from a print handler squeezing too hard like happens with foam-core. And regular mount board has a tendancy to bow.

Make sure, also, that where the print was trimmed that it's perfect. Hopefully the lab timmed it perfectly. If not you may have to carefully pull off little pieces hanging on or carefully use a razor blade to trim it perfectly. Make sure you do that from the back.