PDA

View Full Version : What size do I use?

Debra_Warner
01-28-2007, 09:07 PM
I'm trying to finish a couple prints for competition at our local Iowa PPA convention. This is my first time entering. I have two questions.

Question 1) I am entering one in the "Portrait" section, and the other one in the "digital" section. Neither one specifies what size I am supposed to use. Does anyone know?

Question 2.) They talk about mounting, but don't say what material. Do I use foam board or styrene, or what?

I could call them tomorrow and ask, but I was trying to get this sent to my lab tonight if I can. Any help is appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Debi

Auralee_Dallas
01-29-2007, 12:37 AM
I can't believe there is no information on the website, but there is a guy to email. I would "assume" (but you know what they say about that) that it is any size image on a 16x20 mount. That is what PPA requires and I know that is how it works in our state. Don't use foam core--but gatorfoam is ok. Just double weight matboard works too. When is the comp? Do you have time to get the right info? If so, I'd wait and get the full information.

Debra_Warner
01-29-2007, 01:14 AM
I can't believe there is no information on the website, but there is a guy to email. I would "assume" (but you know what they say about that) that it is any size image on a 16x20 mount. That is what PPA requires and I know that is how it works in our state. Don't use foam core--but gatorfoam is ok. Just double weight matboard works too. When is the comp? Do you have time to get the right info? If so, I'd wait and get the full information.

Thank you for responding. At least someone did. :)

I guess I'll have to wait and follow up tomorrow. Thanks again.

George_Hawkins
01-29-2007, 01:19 AM
Some print rules have a max & min of the mount board. My lab mounts on black core fome board, making a nicer presentation.

Most rules say the board must be 16x20, for non-masters competition.
Did you get by mail or PDF the print rules? Might be lots of fine print.

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
01-29-2007, 02:36 AM
PORTRAITS: Active or Associate members may enter images of any shape or size; must be mounted on 16x20 mount board (rec thickness 1/8 to 3/8)

don't know what lab you use but you can order competition prints at whcc and it's done for you

DIGITAL: mounted 8x10 to 11x14...a finished image of at least 80 square inches is required. Guide prints may be added to the face of the entry if needed. Matting is permitted as part of the overall presentation.

I have complete rules if you want to know more... give me a call.

George_Hawkins
01-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Caution:
Rules may vary a little by the state association, which are not required to be PPA rules. Make sure you get that association print rules.

However, an affiliated judging, which some state associations have, will be same as PPA rules; if you get a blue and the seal, it's an automatic merit provided you send it to PPA judging; then it will hang.

Debra_Warner
01-29-2007, 05:55 PM
Thank you for the responses. I did find out this morning that Iowa regulations for Portrait Competition is 16x20 mount board. It can be any size portrait, but it has to be mounted to a 16x20.

Sue Ellen, I ended up finding the rest of the rules after I called Iowa PPA. I hate small print... :)