PDA

View Full Version : new track lighting

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
01-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Please critique...

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r212/setuttle/newtracklighting.jpg

Will_Price
01-26-2007, 03:48 PM
I like it great, but I am not crazy about the bright white stroke. Very, very nice image. Have you tried it flipped the other direction though?

D._Craig_Flory
01-26-2007, 03:53 PM
Hi Sue Ellen;

I think you are on the right "track" with this image. (sorry ... bad pun I know *S*)

I see a white accent line that is too wide and too much contrast from the image. It draws attention to itself instead of setting off the image. Here is my version using a tone from the image for an accent. Please note that in my 72 ppi version it was only 1 pixel. That equates to between 3 & 6 pixels full res ... you will have to experiment. I also fixed the glare on the tracks. I would like to see the train lights not as bright.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/newtracklightingEnhanced.jpg

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
01-26-2007, 04:02 PM
I do like the thinner line! I see what you mean.

Re glare on tracks...at first I was surprised that you would remove this...it's part of what actually was there...but it does improve the image and nothing is lost. Thanks!

Holly_Howe
01-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Flip it
Holly

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
01-26-2007, 05:51 PM
Flip it
Holly

Ok. Why? (question...NOT argument!!!)

David_A._Lottes
01-26-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi Sue
Our eyes reads from top left to bottom right after years of reading the latin characters in text. The way the image is the eye starts at the back of the train and then moves in the opposite direction of the movement of the train towards the front. It's like a film being played in reverse. if you flip the image the eye will read the front of the train first and follow the cars to the end as if the train were passing by. Tells the story better. Now If you look at the collection of prints from China where they're eyes have been trained to read the opposite direction you will see they also read images in the opposite direction. I saw the traveling show from China in 2002 and it was very obvious that they've been trained to read differently than we have.

OK I know Blah Blah Blah! Bottom line - this way the train is in reverse, flipped it's moving forward. Simple enough.

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
01-26-2007, 06:19 PM
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r212/setuttle/newtracklightingFLIP.jpg

David_A._Lottes
01-26-2007, 06:40 PM
Yup
Now my eyes settle in the intersection of the bottom right thirds. Thats where the subject is now and it's a very comfortable place for my eyes to rest and study the image. Before my eyes kept trying to find a place to settle. Now the lines lead me strongly to the subject instead of away from it, and a good title to. Nice job Sue!

Richard_J._Carpenter
01-26-2007, 06:40 PM
I like the image very much. I fell you could tone down the guard rail (I think it is guard rail) on the right side as you view the image, and the small sign to the right of the train. Another thought would to select the train tracts and stretch them to make a wider print?
Rick

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
01-26-2007, 06:47 PM
I think you are talking about the old rail that remains after the new track was put in? If so....knowing it's part of the "story" would you still remove it?

and tell me more about spreading tracks to make a wider print.

Richard_J._Carpenter
01-26-2007, 07:37 PM
I would tone it down some because the impact to me is the train. I like the strait lines of the tracks leading you in.

When I stretch an area I (not saying this is the correct way) select the area I want to stretch copy it and paste, reselect the new layer, CTRL T on pc (free transform) then stretch it to the left. Then use a soft eraser brush and soften the edges of the stretched layer as needed.

Hope this isn"t to confusing. Having the UP 9 blocks south of my home I enjoy your image.

Rick

Jeff_Dachowski
01-26-2007, 09:00 PM
Sue Ellen,
I have done a little bit of work to this. It is not right, just had a different look. Have a great day.
Jeff

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
01-27-2007, 12:33 AM
You must have been there later in the morning!!! My shot was taken at 6:20 a.m. :)

seriously...it does have a different feel...and it looks good...have to look at them for a while.

What did you do to it?

Jeff_Dachowski
01-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Sue Ellen,
I thought it need a bit more punch, and more track, so I added some. I love the light playing off the tracks. Even the discarded ones. With some careful ps, this image could really be striking. Good luck with it.
Jeff

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
01-27-2007, 12:40 AM
how the additional reflection on the tracks - as well as the enhanced light in the trees - balances the lights of the train. This is really growing on me.

Linda_Gregory
01-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Interesting, I prefer it not flipped, my eyes go from the back of the train to the point it's entering. When it was flipped, I still went left to right but stopped at the front of the train due to knowing it was moving toward me. It's a head game issue!

Nice image, Sue Ellen.

Holly_Howe
01-30-2007, 08:52 PM
When it was flipped, I still went left to right but stopped at the front of the train due to knowing it was moving toward me. .

That's the point! Your eyes stopped at the front of the train - the center of interest.

Holly

Linda_Gregory
01-30-2007, 09:00 PM
OKay, I understand the intent but it stopped and felt uncomfortable. Having lived around tracks, I've learned to respect the front end of an oncoming train.

Could it just be a problem with my personal perceptions?

Surely not! I am an 'everybody!'

Mark_Levesque
01-30-2007, 10:21 PM
You aren't alone. I understand the conventional wisdom here, but I, too, prefer the image going the "wrong way."

Dave_Higgins
01-31-2007, 12:47 AM
Would motion blur on the background trees add or detract from the image?

Mark_Levesque
01-31-2007, 01:13 AM
Are the trees moving?

Sue_Ellen_Tuttle
01-31-2007, 03:17 AM
Are the trees moving?

it was a quiet morning....