PDA

View Full Version : Certification Images #1

Stacey_West
01-26-2007, 06:28 AM
Here goes - I'm going to submit these images in February - or at least that's my intention for now. Please take a look at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/75442739@N00/

Any critiques would be greatly appreciated. Is it likely these will pass the image submission test?

Thanks.

Dan_Leary
01-26-2007, 02:41 PM
Stacey,
I think you'll pass hands down, your images are great. But you might want to check the rules... I didn't think you were supposed to have borders or step mounts on your images.

D._Craig_Flory
01-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Hi Stacey;

I like your images a lot. To counter what Dan said ... if borders and step-mounts were done, for the clients, it's ok ... since you are to show images as you present them to clientelle. But if any of the images were not done that way you can't submit like that.

Dan_Leary
01-26-2007, 03:37 PM
I stand corrected....

Betsy_Finn
01-26-2007, 03:49 PM
Hi Stacey, welcome to the forum :). Those images look nice, I agree with Dan and Craig.

But... about the borders/step-mounts.... I though you were allowed to use borders to fill out the space from say, a panoramic print that the client had ordered as such (making it fit an 8x10, the required submission size). I did that for mine, but then again I kept the color/border very plain and simple (and only did that on 2 images).

KirkDarling
01-27-2007, 01:25 AM
Hi Stacey;

I like your images a lot. To counter what Dan said ... if borders and step-mounts were done, for the clients, it's ok ... since you are to show images as you present them to clientelle. But if any of the images were not done that way you can't submit like that.

How do they determine that?

Holly_Howe
01-27-2007, 01:53 AM

Scout's honor

Stacey_West
01-27-2007, 05:16 AM
Hi Stacey, welcome to the forum :). Those images look nice, I agree with Dan and Craig.

But... about the borders/step-mounts.... I though you were allowed to use borders to fill out the space from say, a panoramic print that the client had ordered as such (making it fit an 8x10, the required submission size). I did that for mine, but then again I kept the color/border very plain and simple (and only did that on 2 images).

Thanks for the critiques. I'm glad the border and mount situation has been brought up. I had been a little worried about it.

Many of my senior clients purchase 8x8's in flush mount albums so I did do some adjusting of border size, edge effects, etc. on a few of the images in order to size them as 8x10's. After reading some of the replies I decided to call PPA; I spoke with David Mithofer Friday afternoon, explained my 8x8 situation and mentioned this post to him. He assured me that adjusting borders and edges to accomodate cropping to an 8x10 dimension would be OK.

Dave_Cisco
01-27-2007, 05:20 AM
Nooooooo problem.:)

D._Craig_Flory
01-27-2007, 01:41 PM

In each image explaination, you tell how it was treated for the client. Since the images are to be shown as delivered to the client, if a creative border, or step-mount, was used then it's part of the client's order.

Karen_Linsley
01-27-2007, 04:20 PM
I like your images Stacy, I think you will do just fine.

Now, I have a question: I did not, in reading the rules, get that one was supposed to put an explanation for how each image was made. I simply have the client's name, and what the job was for and the date of the job listed on the explanation sheet. I haven't submitted the images yet, should I put more information on that sheet?

KirkDarling
01-27-2007, 05:33 PM
In each image explaination, you tell how it was treated for the client. Since the images are to be shown as delivered to the client, if a creative border, or step-mount, was used then it's part of the client's order.

I'm in the process of writing that now, and my interpretation of the (scant and terse) instructions was that only the purpose of the image was needed, not the treatment.

I'm not at all disputing you, Craig--if what they really meant to say is that they want a full explanation of both purpose and treatment toward that purpose that's definitely what I want to give them, and thanks much for the tip (when I was in the USAF I sat on "Airman of the Quarter" boards and coached my own people in how to meet them, so I do appreciate insider's tips).

But it would be nice if they had provided more information of what they really want to see. This is yet another reason why forums are a good thing.

D._Craig_Flory
01-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Hi Kirk;

I said that for those that do step-mounts and borders on client images. As a certification liaison, that's how I interpret when they say they want images as done for clients.