PDA

View Full Version : Please Critique for Comp...

Jane_Ann_Long
01-26-2007, 04:55 AM
I feel like I am draining you guys but if anyone has time I would love to here some thoughts on this image and titles also....I met this young man at WPPI last year. He ask me to take a few shots after he saw my camera. He was very proud of his new suit. I'm working on this doing some filtering - it still looks alittle rough.

DianeDavis
01-26-2007, 05:03 AM
Keep them coming.

Jane_Ann_Long
01-26-2007, 05:20 AM
How could sharing such creativity be draining?
I'm not qualified to comment, but I am qualified to enjoy. Keep them coming.

Thanks Diane - you ask for it!

This is our local body shop guy standing in front of his business. He saw me out in town one day taking a few shots and struck a pose for me. I was putting this in a local art show and thought about print comp also. I tried to bring out his facial features and put an emphasis on the textures of the scene.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/Janeann_01/body_shop2.jpg

JohnHeckler
01-26-2007, 05:30 AM
You know ... I think this (body shop dude) is just enough different it may grab the judges attention. Again, what do I know, but I like it!

Jane_Ann_Long
01-26-2007, 05:34 AM
Eh - thanks John! I can't get that sweet little red tongued baby out my mind - talk about cute!

JohnHeckler
01-26-2007, 05:37 AM
Eh - thanks John! I can't get that sweet little red tongued baby out my mind - talk about cute!

Heh, talk about luck more like it. The photography was ho-hum, same old, same old studio shot of a 6 mo old. She did all the work :-)

Jane_Ann_Long
01-26-2007, 05:43 AM
I think the color of the mat really helped it out alot. It was fresh-bright and very complimenting to her . Not ho-hum at all.

Linda_Gregory
01-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Preface this with, I'd love to have taken both these images and I am no where near qualified to give much critique, the first one has a bad angle on the bottom, looking right into his lap. for you experts out there, would there be a way to crop it to save it?

Holly_Howe
01-26-2007, 02:54 PM
Jane - I like where you are headed with the body shop guy. However when I look at him - my eye goes right to where the red is - his crotch. Maybe that's cause the red doesn't show up so much on his black shirt. Can you rework so the red rectangle falls elsewhere? I assume you planned the cropping on the sign so it said bod. What would really make this idea sing is if the guy really did have a great body - and no shirt. I don' think this one is quite there but it's awfully close- keep working on it. The red crotch is what bothers me about it.
Holly

Jane_Ann_Long
01-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Thanks Linda and Holly...as most men - he " thinks " he has a great bod and the red reflects his attitude toward this. I see what you mean though. I have several different versions of him - a sweet man with a real unique character.

Jane_Ann_Long
01-26-2007, 05:54 PM
Preface this with, I'd love to have taken both these images and I am no where near qualified to give much critique, the first one has a bad angle on the bottom, looking right into his lap. for you experts out there, would there be a way to crop it to save it?

Linda - the crop is blunt - you are right. I have re-posted it with a table to cover it all up - some better but still working it.

Joe_Galioto
01-26-2007, 07:42 PM
jane ann,
cann't comment on the photography.
but the suit really s_cks.
sorry
joe

Jane_Ann_Long
01-26-2007, 07:56 PM
jane ann,
cann't comment on the photography.
but the suit really s_cks.
sorry
joe

:) :p :) - The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Jane_Ann_Long
01-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Let me try this one....One thing I love to do is draw comparisons between people and other forms of life - especially things like flowers...trees and such. In this image the head takes on the characteristics of the flower pods and his body acts almost like a vase. The title is " Back to the Garden"

I'm getting this one ready for an art show and maybe print competition. C&Cs welcome with any thoughts at all appreciated.

Holly_Howe
01-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Jane - while I think this print is beautiful and it might be very well recieved at an art show I feel it will have challenges in aphotographic competition. Look at the image - what is the brightest area? The back of his/her? head and shoulders. So your eye is drawn to the least intersting area of the entire image. Foe what my opinion is worth . . .
Holly

Jane_Ann_Long
01-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks Holly - I think I will stick it in the art show - an area I am most comfortable in. I just enjoy showing my work and getting juried in is an honor even if I don't place. I'll let you know how the next one goes.

Holly_Howe
01-26-2007, 10:45 PM
Thanks Holly - I think I will stick to the art shows - an area I am most comfortable in. I just enjoy showing my work and getting juried in is an honor even if I don't place. I'll let you know how the next one goes.

I know what you mean about the jury-ing process. I do a couple art shows a year with my art dolls. I will only do the juried ones - so that the caliber of the show is high. I have a one woman show at an art gallery coming up next Decemeber ( they contract two years in advance) It runs for 6 weeks. I'll invite you all to come to the opening night wine & cheese reception!

Holly

Jane_Ann_Long
01-26-2007, 11:34 PM
If I am ever in the area I would love to see it. My move to WV is coming up fast - (Feb.7th) I will be driving up with my 2 sons and a 150 lb. german shepherd - pray I survive it! ) I hope to get involved heavily with the art scene when I get settled in. My studio will take some time to get established but I do other things that revolve around it so I should stay busy.