PDA

View Full Version : Test Run Session -- CC and thoughts for "Real" session

Betsy_Finn
01-26-2007, 03:32 AM
Hey guys...

Ok so normally it's a hassle to schedule a reshoot -- but since this one's related to me we planned a "test" session while we visited relatives earlier this month (the real session is when they come here this weekend). So... I figured, instead of waiting until I had a set of images I *thought* were competition worthy, why not get thoughts on these so I can do a better job in the creation process. I'm curious if this even has a chance (if it doesn't, why not), ...and what I should try to improve on during the next session.

http://ourppa.com/photopost/data/6/betsys-photo-8166.jpg

The colors are looking muddier than the print version of these,...sorry guys.

(if the link doesn't work, I'm testing pulling the url from the gallery portion of ourppa....so let me know.)

Betsy_Finn
01-26-2007, 03:43 AM
and obviously it's not cropped/matted to 16x20 -- I'm sorry in advance :o

Dave_Cisco
01-26-2007, 03:45 AM
This is somewhat a thread highjack, but it has a purpose.

Does anyone have a list of the 12 significant characteristics of a "merit" image. A great number of questions could be answered if the image maker were ask to review their own image against this list. Self-critique is an important part of learning.:) With this list in print, we can all look at images and ask how many elements does a particular image have...

Holly_Howe
01-26-2007, 03:51 AM
They have been posted in various places here over the last couple weeks.
Holly

Jane_Ann_Long
01-26-2007, 04:04 AM
I love the rich brown tones against his skin.

DianeDavis
01-26-2007, 04:10 AM
Betsy-
I love the color and I love the eyes.

Dan_Leary
01-26-2007, 04:12 AM
The "Dirty Dozen" are on the PPA website...

JohnHeckler
01-26-2007, 04:22 AM
12 Elements of a Merit Print (from PPA website):

http://www.ppa.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=559

Betsy, I really like it. You've got eye contact, or at least what looks like it is anyway, I like the colors ... when you create your step mount, crop tighter on the actual subject image maybe.

Again, personally I'd be tempted to enter it, but I know I would also be thinking it won't make it to 80. Seems like I've seen an aweful lot of these go around the 75-79 range, what with my vast 3 years experience and all ;-P

[Adding more to my post ... ]

I think what is going for it is that it is cute, colors are nice and give it a nice mood, imo. On the flip side, the baby's arm/hand is cropped awkwardly, maybe could have used a little more light in the eyes, and again, not sure the impact is there only because the judges see alot of these.

All that being said, whomever your client is, they should go gooney-ga-ga over it! :-)

Betsy_Finn
01-26-2007, 04:29 AM
thanks guys. I have some ideas in my head. and I'll review the elements.

Technically speaking, are there any specific ways you'd improve this particular image?

DianeDavis
01-26-2007, 04:49 AM
. . . . . . . . . . .

D._Craig_Flory
01-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Hi Betsy;

Try this .... imagine how big the child's head would be in a 16X20. There is a saying that I've heard from dozens of speakers ... "Kids Need Room To Grow". Back (WAY) up when creating images of kids and leave lots of room around them.

Here is the dirty dozen list ... I know there was a link earlier but I also have it on my Photobucket.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/DirtyDozenofPrintCompetition.jpg

Betsy_Finn
01-26-2007, 02:55 PM
All good points. Onces that probably crossed my mind too... And yea... I do see the point about submitting a giant baby's head. I'll keep that in mind.

Craig! Thanks :D :D Those explanations of the elements make a lot more sense to me than the ones listed on PPA's site. I'm going to print those and put them with my "official" copy as the *translation* ;)

Holly_Howe
01-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Betsy - Mom will want a close up - judges will want lots of room - keep that in mind when photographing.

Holly