PDA

View Full Version : What work needs to be done?

Tiffany_Schmitt
01-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Until I became a member here I had never even thought that it was a possiblity for me to enter prints. I at least now have been entertaining the thought.

I love seeing the actual comp prints. That is a great idea Jeff and hopefully someday I can add one or two of my own. Until then, I need lots of help getting there. Thanks to everyone for that help.

With that, I was going through images getting together sr. marketing info and came across this one.

Now, I am going to guess this isn't quite there, lacking impact for one. I don't like the lightness of the upper left corner, but what would something like this need, to be a consideration for print comp.

This will help me to learn the things that I need to look out for when creating new images.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l81/tschmitt_2006/IMG1624.jpg

Thanks for any imput.

Tiffany

Holly_Howe
01-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Tiffany - good idea - needs some tweaking. IMO the crop is uncomfortable. Go to the thread that Jeff started where he posted his print "Going Places" That print reminds me of this in the diagonal lean of the body and how the face is in an upper corner facing out of the image rather than into. I like that composition on Jeff's image because it perpetuates the idea that this woman is on the move - she is gonna go right out of the image. Your guy - playing for money on a street corner - I think that him small in the image would be more storytelling - you know small lonely guy against the big world. Also - you have a highkey background and then that black shirt and black case. I see the shirt and the case and have a hard time getting to his face. Try this idea again - in a spot that looks more like someone would actually be playing for money on the street. While the light is very nice for a portrait - which this is - I think if I was trying to tell a story about a street performer I would like a harsher light. You know - not such a soft transition on the shadow edge. Could even be a higher ratio.

Which all brings me to another point. Tiffany could enter this print with a little work and not be embarassed. Nobody would point fingers and laugh at her. I don't think it would merit but it definately wouldn't bone pile. The most important thing about print competition is trying Sure you might not get any merits - but if you don't even try you definately don't get any merits! And think how much you will learn along the way. Keith entered prints 4 years before he ever got a single merit. But he kept trying and now he has three degrees and Imaging Excellance award. Not pointing fingers at you Tiffany - just talking in general - but everyone keeps asking "will this merit?' Yes - meriting prints is a goal. But just because you don't feel strongly that your prints will merit is no reason to not enter. You learn more from the whole process and by your non-meriting images then you ever do from going 4 for 4 on your first time out of the gate. So you decide. Are you entering to learn or are you entering for accolades. Niether choice is wrong but if learning is the goal then enter the prints regardless of merit quality.
Holly

D._Craig_Flory
01-25-2007, 03:13 PM
Hi Tiffany;

Here are my thoughts on your image: on my attached example, you will see arrows pointing to the guitar case. It's totally out of focus and takes away from him. Also, I circled the guitar. It was photographed straight on and shows only the ends of it. I'll come back to that. Also circled is the burnt out grass in the background.

Let's look at the grass first. With reflectors, you can achieve good balance between open shade and sunlit areas ... if that isn't too bright and too many stops from the shade. Set your aperature on a hand held meter reading for the bright area and then make sure enough light is on your subject.

Ok ... the guitar. For a competition image, a better pose would be your subject looking at the strings ... and playing it. I would have him at least twice to three times as far away. The guitar would be positioned so that the pick was showing on the strings and the fingers on his other hand positioned on the neck.

This could be a great story-telling scenerio. I hope you will do a pose again, with changes. Impact and story telling ability are very important.