PDA

View Full Version : New Print for Competition - Critique Please

Jane_Ann_Long
01-24-2007, 02:28 AM
All C&C's are greatly appreciated
Thanks!

Chris_Padgett
01-24-2007, 03:50 AM
I throw out an opinion. I love the overall feel of this image, the colors it has a great quality to it. I would be concerned about your main subject, the bride, being covered up as much as she is. Also the first bridesmaid's head is almost completely blocked out. If you could title it in a way to draw attention to the "feel" of the image that may help. But what do I know, I haven't had a portrait merit....yet.

Chris

Jane_Ann_Long
01-24-2007, 04:05 AM
Chris - I thought the same thing .... Hummmmm? What to do?

Keith_A_Howe
01-24-2007, 02:33 PM
Jane Ann
Chris nailed my concerns. I like the color and feel of the image but don't know that it can overcome the mentioned concerns. Mat feels over powering to me as well.
Keith

Jane_Ann_Long
01-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Jane Ann
Chris nailed my concerns. I like the color and feel of the image but don't know that it can overcome the mentioned concerns. Mat feels over powering to me as well.
Keith

Keith - just testing the waters . Usually when I put a digital mat on something like this its just for the impact of color it adds to the room decor - many times the actual image is secondary - I need to realize that I am playing a different game and make major adjustments to conform. :)

D._Craig_Flory
01-24-2007, 03:38 PM
Hi Jane Ann;

I would have liked seeing the bride more. Then you could have given more separation of her from the others. I agree about the matte being too garish and drawing attention away from the subject layer. And your placement is in the center ... that only works for "Crash Point Symetry" composition.

Not something wrong with the image, or presentation but ... your subject layer is too small. For a 16"X20" presentation, the subject layer must be at least 80 square inches (8X10). This 8x10 presentation has a subject layer approximately 3¾" X 4¾" which is 17.81 square inches or in proportion on a full 16X20 that would only be 71.24 square inches. Something for you to watch.

For what it's worth ... here is my version.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/00012Enhanced.jpg

Jane_Ann_Long
01-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Craig - that was good information - I had no idea of the required image dimensions - only knew it had to be 16x20 overall...When I first started working on this image I really just saw the heads as fruit in a bowl...like apples - not really being able to see each one as a whole but a group of forms....4 heads - 3 arms - 2 smiles...now you all know how my strange mind works!...Is there a Doctor in the house???? After that explaination I feel like I need one!

PS - I like your mat.

D._Craig_Flory
01-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Hi Jane Ann;

I'm about to go spray some senior portraits but wanted to comment. I'm glad my version helped you see how a bkgrd. can help or detract from an image. Yours was so garish it yelled for attention.

On future images, try this: make a dupe layer or more. Use the eye dropper to pick out colors from the image and fill the bkgrd. with it. Do a differrent one on each dupe bkgrd. layer. Then by turning on & off the layers you can see which works best.

With your image, since it had both vivid cool and hot colors I did this: I made a dupe layer of the bkgrd. & then picked a cool and a hot color for foreground and background.(in the vertical toolbar) Then I used Filter > Render > Clouds. That gives you a soft mix of whatever the foreground and background colors happen to be. I then softened that a lot.

I'm anxious to start seeing images by you of your new state as well as Pittsburgh, Pa.