PDA

View Full Version : Ok... Here is my first attempt..CC Please

Valerie_Harte
01-23-2007, 09:18 PM
Hopefully I am doing the photobucket thing right. Reposted Smaller. I know I have a lot to learn so tear it up. This is one I have been playing with. What do you think
Version 1... So far title is Surreal Walk but feel free to suggest others
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/vharte/SurrealWalksmall.jpg

Version 2- More traditional and not much work done on it. So far title is The Long Walk Back
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/vharte/LongWalkBacksmall.jpg

If you want links to the bigger ones I can post.

David_A._Lottes
01-23-2007, 09:25 PM
Sorry Val
I'm seeing a broken link. Need help with the Photobucket thing?

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m306/Dlottes/item.jpg

I snagged this one from your web site. You want to copy the IMG code and then paste it in your reply. Great shot by the way!

Oh I see you've got them up! I'll leave you to the critics now. Good luck! - David

Valerie_Harte
01-23-2007, 09:35 PM
I was having trouble... I think I figured it out. I just couldn't figure out how to resize it down from 16x20. Thanks about the other one... very cliche but the parents love em right?

David_A._Lottes
01-23-2007, 09:50 PM
I was having trouble... I think I figured it out. I just couldn't figure out how to resize it down from 16x20. Thanks about the other one... very cliche but the parents love em right?

Don't be so Modest Val,
Cliches become cliches for a reason. And even a cliche can be very difficult to do well.:)

DianeDavis
01-23-2007, 10:22 PM
Val,
I thought it was a unique way to do a cliche.

Valerie_Harte
01-23-2007, 10:40 PM
I hadn't even considered that one because I felt like it was so "done"... should I be? I thought it fit into the salable but not even close to considering for competition category but maybe I have just seen it so much I have grown numb to it? But I am open to that one if it makes sense.

Dave_Higgins
01-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Val,

It may be a cliche but it is one of the most powerful statements I know of. There was one like this in last November's Professional Photographer magazine. I think it was titled "Gift From God".

Cheers,

Naomi_Angel
01-23-2007, 10:58 PM
my two cents.
I like the natural sky, not the tweaked one. have you tried making the whole image pastel and maybe increasing contrast and brightening the overall?

Valerie_Harte
01-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Naomi,

I like the thought. I went about it a little differently but I think I caught the spirit. Here is my attempt...

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u36/vharte/LongWalkBackSoft.jpg

Tiffany_Schmitt
01-23-2007, 11:45 PM
Hi Val,

Wow, what an improvement on the last one! I personally am not crazy about the mount though. I could be way off base but I think it is a little distracting as I had to study it to really see it. I think maybe a solid would lend better. But, I have yet to find anything to enter myself so I will leave that for the experts.

I really like it though. You should be proud of it.

Tiffany

Valerie_Harte
01-24-2007, 01:22 AM
I tried a solid and I couldn't find a color I liked. Maybe if I smoothed out some of the bumps in the sand?

Tiffany_Schmitt
01-24-2007, 01:28 AM
I think so. I thought maybe a gaussian blur, but since your image itself has a soft dreamy look, that might be too much.

I don't know, I am still trying to figure it all out myself.:o

Tiffany

Holly_Howe
01-24-2007, 01:49 AM
Val - couple of challenges that I see to overcome with this image. First off - very flat light. Good directional light would give this image a three dimensional quality. Next - you have a low key subject ( dark complexion - dark shorts) on a high key pastel background. Sometimes that works - but in this case it doesn't improve the image by breaking that rule. Also - while you are correct in placing the boy off center - you have placed him too far to the right. Bring him back to that (sounding like a broken record) one third position. I also do not care for the sand background - maybe if you blur it but right now it is too sharp and draws too much attention.

Now before everybody puts me on their ignore list - I am gonna quit commenting on competition prints for a few days. I know I have "hogged" the threads with my responses so I'll let somebody else comment for awhile.

Holly

Valerie_Harte
01-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Thanks Holly. I think I am going back to the folder to look for another one... And you aren't hogging.. I was looking for your response, you give great constructive criticism, I have learned a lot from your posts to others!

Keith_A_Howe
01-24-2007, 02:08 PM
Valharte
Holly covered most of the things on the beach photo so I will leave it at that except ( I gotta get the last word in) 95% of the time when you are croping and placing your subject toward one edge make sure that any secondary subjects are delt with as well. In this image the seagull appears to be touching the edge of the mount. I like the gull and it adds balance and story so I am not saying take out the gull but move over like Holly said. I brought this up because cropping tight or touching the edge happens again on the father baby photograph that David pulled. I am seeing the babys fingers touching the edge on the one side and cut into on the other. Leave just a bit more room around him. This is a good image but like you said it's fairly common. What that means is that a bit of impact is lost however Judges are charged to judge each image on it's own merit so they will try not to let that influence them. This image could be a nice image to enter (if there is space), but I feel that in this case it would have been much stronger on a black background. This would make the image very dramatic. It would also benifit from more direction to the lighting. You could try to increase the contrast with levals, bring the black slider up to 20 and the midtone slider to 80 or so. I would bring the white slider to 249. Get rid of the pink presentation in my opinion even for display. Using spot color is a way to draw the viewers eye where you want it to go. In this case you are saying the presentation is the most important element. Assuming there is a bit more room around it I would work it up.
One final note - be wary of using an effect in part of the image and not carring it throughout the image. Your first post of the boy at the beach and a posterized / impressionistic look to the sky but not to the rest of the image.

Valerie_Harte
01-24-2007, 03:28 PM
Thank you Keith! The pink presentation is nothing I would do for competition- its a consistency thing for my website. All of my images on the site are framed with the pink frame. Something that I will be changing... soon... I need to update my galleries anyway its been a while.

I do tend to crop tight. I am working on it and appreciate the feedback. It's overcompensation because I used to get critique to "come in closer and let us see that expression that is the focal point". Seems I have swung too far the other direction now. I am sure I have some room on that one so I am going to go back and look at it and play. I will post again with more images. This is so helpful!