PDA

View Full Version : Please Critique for Competition

Jane_Ann_Long
01-22-2007, 09:51 PM
I have so many from this session I really don't know which to post. I love this one because I know his moods....his depth of thought and feel I have captured it perfectly. I think the composition is good.....but as we all know - others do not see things through our eyes. Please help rule it in or out so I can move on to another choice.

Thanks!

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/Janeann_01/PPA%20Images/alley_2.jpg

Emily_Allen
01-22-2007, 09:55 PM
I don't know anything about competition, but my first thought...the reflection in the window of the railing bothers me a little because it goes right through the subject's head....but I DO like the thoughtfulness of his expression.

Jane_Ann_Long
01-22-2007, 10:04 PM
Emily - I wasn't sure about that either...at first I saw it as a positive - a strong leading line to the expression....then I wondered like you if it was nothing more than a distraction that could be retouched out maybe?

Emily_Allen
01-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Definitely worth a try, but I'd see what a few others think :) I'm certainly not an expert!

Heidi_Theriault
01-22-2007, 10:33 PM
Jane,
Overall - I like it. I don't know enough about competition either to judge it one way or the other.

There may be a problem with both the railing and the reflection cutting his head. - not sure.

It seems like maybe the image itself should move a bit to the left so that his head is on the thirds line.

What will you title it? That could make all the difference.

Holly_Howe
01-22-2007, 10:50 PM
I have so many from this session I really don't know which to post. I love this one because I know his moods....his depth of thought and feel I have captured it perfectly. I think the composition is good.....but as we all know - others do not see things through our eyes. Please help rule it in or out so I can move on to another choice.

Thanks!

]

Jane - I can see what you mean about capturing his mood. We know this is your son and we are sure it really speaks to you as his mom. While this is a terrific portrait to hang on the wall, We feel it will have a challenge getting a merit, mainly because of light direction. If you look at his arm you can see the light appears to be almost straight down. It also seems to be striking the back of his head and the top of his shoulders. To make this really sing for print competition, the light should come from 90 plus degrees camera left - rimmimg out his profile. Also - while this is a great crop for a portrait on the wall - it would probably score higher with more room around the image. It would also help a bit if the guitar was tipped so the neck created a diagonal line - mimicing the railing and leading to his face. As it is now - the neck is straight up and down and acts as a visual stopper - blocking you from reaching his face as you read into the print. If you love this image the most and want to go ahead with it I would suggest you burn in the railing and curtains and top of arm and shoulder- all of which are brighter than his face - so detract from his face as the center of interest. I would also suggest toning down the bricks. In effect creating a vignette. Be careful not to "keyhole" him. The gradient backer is interesting but not the best choice for competition as it takes attention away from his face. If there is more room on the original file and you aren't needing to crop to eliminate distractions - I would leave more of his environment around him. What makes the perfect portrait for mom's wall doesn't always make the right choice for competition so please don't think we don't like this print - cause we do. We just think it's not the right choice to enter.

Hey - We have done way too much commenting lately - Don Chick - Micheal Gan where are you guys?

Keith & Holly

Jane_Ann_Long
01-22-2007, 11:02 PM
Hey....thats what I need to know. I am going to put up a few more so please if you have time...I would love to hear your thoughts ... thanks Holly .

D._Craig_Flory
01-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Hi Jane Ann;

I was conflicted on this image ... because of the railings. I normally like space, in front of the subject, to be sharp. But, on this image, they drew too much attention because of the flaked off paint. So I blurred them on my version. I also took out the one shadow and blurred the background. I moved the subject layer till her was on the 3rd quadrant ... it wasn't exactly there before. And, I changed the bkgrd. layer to a deeper brown.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/alley_2Enhanced.jpg

Jane_Ann_Long
01-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Craig - you did a good job but I am throwing it out! Too many issues.

D._Craig_Flory
01-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Hi Jane Ann;

Can you see me crying after you threw out the image ? *S*

I'd love to see "The Waiter" in a 20" X16" ! It is an impressionistic image with implied detail. Was there an artist that inspired you to approach it that way ? It definitely gives a feeling of raised up paint and three dimensionality.

Besides competition, I see that as a limited edition image. Matte and frame it and sell numbered copies signed by you.

Jane_Ann_Long
01-22-2007, 11:56 PM
Sorry Craig.... I threw mine out with it! LOL
When I studied art I fell in love with the pallet knife and
they could not pry it out of my hands! I just love texture - it brings
everything to another level.

Holly_Howe
01-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Jane - there is something about the Waiter that we find compelling. Couple things we would suggest for competition. The waiter is a little hard to get to. We tried lightening the waiter and burning all the rest of the image. There are a couple light spots in the very lower right corner and also a little way below the shutter of the window so burn them down. Also - the bunch of green leaves in front of the waiters face is a bit light - take it down a bit. It sounds like you have a fine art background and perhaps these changes may not be in keeping with what's appropiate in that arena. For photographic competition you need a stronger center of interest so bringing out the waiter will help raise the score. I get a strong impression of this as a cantina type place so perhaps instead of "The Waiter" you could use the Spainish word for waiter. Just an idea. I think a narrow black border with a narrow blue pinstripe liner - picking up from the blue in his vest. It's interesting that you commented on the color opposites of blue and orange - cause that's what I was talking about on - um - name escapes me -print of boy and girl on beach at sunset just recently posted for critique. There it was tertiary(sp?) shades - on yours it's secondary colors.

I think this is a print that will either do very very well - or bomb! I don't think it will be border line score. Good Luck!

Holly

Jane_Ann_Long
01-23-2007, 12:54 AM
Thank you Holly! I value your and Keith's advice as I do everyones here.
My first ( and only ) merit was an image of a coffee cup! Thats right. I shot it testing out my new D200 and flash. It was sitting on my desk with a spoon in it. ( I had been eating yogurt.) When I pulled it up on the mac I started to play around with it....I thought about cloning out the spoon but instead pushed it to one side to hide it. Thats when the idea of a title popped into my head and I named it " Half Cup Please " It was beautiful on its new background and when I added contrasting step-mounts and texture I was in love! You can imagine the excitement I felt when it did so well at Regionals SWPPA. Sometimes we just have to go with our hearts never knowing what the out come will be but for me I was just excited to be able to show it....to share my love for creating art with my camera.

Since then I have sold 12 prints and most likely will sell more. I put several in Panera Bread all of which went fast.

Holly_Howe
01-23-2007, 02:34 AM
[QUOTE=Jane Ann Long;52795]Thats when the idea of a title popped into my head and I named it " Half Cup Please " It was beautiful on its new background and when I added contrasting step-mounts and texture I was in love! You can imagine the excitement I felt when it did so well at Regionals SWPPA. Sometimes we just have to go with our hearts never knowing what the out come will be but for me I was just excited to be able to show it....to share my love for creating art with my camera.
QUOTE]

Hey! Keith judged SWPPA this last year and i went with him. I think I remember that print!

Holly

Jane_Ann_Long
01-23-2007, 02:43 AM
It was big Orange Italian style cup on a black background!

Holly_Howe
01-23-2007, 02:45 AM
It was big Orange Italian style cup on a black background!
Can you post it to refresh my memory?
Holly

Jane_Ann_Long
01-23-2007, 02:48 AM
I'm going to take it back down after you see it.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/Janeann_01/PPA%20Images/half_cup_please.jpg

Lori_Clapp
01-23-2007, 03:39 AM
Jane Ann, that coffee cup image is very neat. And the waiter one - it looks really cool if you squint. I love it! I wish I could do that....

Lori_Clapp
01-23-2007, 04:16 AM
Jane Ann - thanks, but I just don't have the artistic vision, I think. I'm not artistically inclined! But what the heck - I'm going to give it a try!

Keith_A_Howe
01-23-2007, 01:15 PM
I'm going to take it back down after you see it.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m264/Janeann_01/PPA%20Images/half_cup_please.jpg

Jane Ann
Please leave it up a while so all can see it. This is a wonderful image and yes I remember it!! For others benifit part of what makes this image so strong is the use of color. Just as monocromes can be used to depict mood the contrasting color familys make this image dynamic. It (the image) almost reaches out and shakes you, demanding attention. The cropping and title are also very good. You have a very artistic eye.
Keith

Jane_Ann_Long
01-23-2007, 03:32 PM
Keith or anyone - this is alittle off the subject but how would I go about having my print case shipped to my new home in WV instead of to the address I have on the return label? Can this be changed or do I have to contact UPS?

D._Craig_Flory
01-23-2007, 03:41 PM
Keith or anyone - this is alittle off the subject but how would I go about having my print case shipped to my new home in WV instead of to the address I have on the return label? Can this be changed or do I have to contact UPS?

Hi Jane Ann;

Wow, when is the move ? You could come to PPAofPa meetings !
www.ppaofpa.org BTW ... we have a terrific meeting coming up on Feb. 11th and 12th with Fuzzy & Shirley Duenkel in Camp Hill, Pa. (across the river from Harrisburg) I'd love to meet you in person. I got to meet Karen Linsley last October when she came to Pa. to take the C.P.P. test from me and to attend two days of programs.

Keith_A_Howe
01-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Call Jim Dingwell - 866-591-9190 ASAP I do not know if it can be caught but he's the man that would have the answer.
GOOD LUCK with the move.
Keith

D._Craig_Flory
01-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Hi Jane Ann;

It's a touch too late for the Feb. meeting but you could easily make our April convention.

Here is a seascape I did entirely with painting knives somewhere around 1970 or 71'. When I was in adult art classes my instructor got me into using knives instead of brushes.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/SeascapeByCraig.jpg

Jane_Ann_Long
01-23-2007, 04:40 PM
Jane Ann
Please leave it up a while so all can see it. This is a wonderful image and yes I remember it!! For others benifit part of what makes this image so strong is the use of color. Just as monocromes can be used to depict mood the contrasting color familys make this image dynamic. It (the image) almost reaches out and shakes you, demanding attention. The cropping and title are also very good. You have a very artistic eye.
Keith

Thank you Keith. When I was a little girl my Mother would always say to me " Bright colors make a bright life "

Jane_Ann_Long
01-24-2007, 01:54 AM
Jane,
Overall - I like it. I don't know enough about competition either to judge it one way or the other.

There may be a problem with both the railing and the reflection cutting his head. - not sure.

It seems like maybe the image itself should move a bit to the left so that his head is on the thirds line.

What will you title it? That could make all the difference.

Heidi
I don't think I will be using this one after all....it has more issues than I can deal with but thank you for the critique.

D._Craig_Flory
03-02-2007, 02:41 PM
Hi group;

I don't think I ever saw a post that Jane Ann's move was complete. Does anyone have any info about her move and how she is adapting to living in West Virginia ?

Don_Chick
03-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Hey - We have done way too much commenting lately - Don Chick - Micheal Gan where are you guys? Keith & Holly

I can't see her images except in the post where it was quoted... I thought I paid my internet bill...

I think it's too late perhaps anyway.