PDA

View Full Version : print for competition

Richard_J._Carpenter
01-19-2007, 01:54 PM
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/JudsonRickPhoto/DSCF5229-4bwemail.jpg

I have some concerns about this print mostly her left hand. I need a name for this image. I would appreciate some feed back.
Thanks in advance
Rick

D._Craig_Flory
01-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi Rick;

My first problem is the size. You need to enter it as a 16" X 20" presentation. Some of the top needs to be cropped off. Next, your accent line takes too much away from her. There is a pipe running vertically up the wall ... a leading line taking the viewers eyes away from her. It needs a bit more contrast. The background layer needs to be a deep grey rather than black.

Here is my version ... I hope it helps.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/DSCF5229-4bwemailEnhanced.jpg

Will_Price
01-19-2007, 02:34 PM
Here is my first take on the image... I like the title "light industrial"

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/fiddlewish/backonppa2.jpg

And on second, my title would be "blue day" I added a step mount to it

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m290/fiddlewish/backonppa.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
01-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Hi Ron;

I also use Photobucket. Instead of embedding the path in your posts, just click Copy, in Photobucket, in IMG Code. Then when you post your message click Paste.

How about a title of "Sassy" ?

Will_Price
01-19-2007, 03:05 PM
I like Flory's take on the image. Mine was a bit sloppy...kinda busy today.

Richard_J._Carpenter
01-19-2007, 04:03 PM
Craig and Will,
Thanks for the suggestions, I liked the idea of fliping the image. I now have a leading line of the pipe that takes you to the girl, I toned down the vertical pipe on the wall. I have a thing for long skinny prints, do you think it really needs to be on a 16x20 canvas? Thanks for telling me how to post the file from photobucket. Thanks Rick
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/JudsonRickPhoto/lightindustrial2.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
01-19-2007, 04:47 PM
Hi Rick;

Unless you are a Master, you must submit images on a 16" X 20" OR 20" X 16" board. That goes for PPA, Regionals, State groups, and most sub state groups. Once you get Master of Photography you can use other sizes.

Richard_J._Carpenter
01-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Craig,
Yes I am, with that in mind do you prefer the skinny image or larger canvas?
Not sure if this is the correct forum, would you post how you select a portion of a image and make the underlayments. It really seems to improve the images.
Rick

Holly_Howe
01-19-2007, 05:10 PM
I suspect D. Craig missed that you are a M.Photog. and don't have to present as a 16x20. I like this print very much. There are a couple little things I would tweak from the way you presented it. I would move the image to the right on the background - wider border left, narrower on right. That would get the girl a little farther away from centered. I would make the background a few shades darker - like one of the darker grays in the image. I would tone down her hands a little more. The hands are not posed bad but you are seeing quite a bit of the backside of her hands. Toning them down a little would make that less noticable. Also - while I would not do this on a customers print - for competition I would slim down her right (left as viewed) hip just a litlle. First try burning it down a bit.

I like Will's Title of "Light Industrial" It gives a reason for this girl to be in a deserted factory. Plus I am always partial to titles that suggest one thing but then really refer to something else. As long as they aren't truly confusing!

Holly

Holly_Howe
01-19-2007, 05:11 PM
oops! I was typing while you and D. Craig were discussing the Master's thing. I also forgot to say I agree on the flipping.

Holly

D._Craig_Flory
01-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Craig,
Yes I am, with that in mind do you prefer the skinny image or larger canvas?
Not sure if this is the correct forum, would you post how you select a portion of a image and make the underlayments. It really seems to improve the images.
Rick

Hi Rick;

I have a lesson I wrote several years ago, when I was working towards my Craftsman. I gave out my lesson on doing step-mounts and it was one of the most popular parts of my classes. So I'll post my lesson as soon as I get back from going to do a few errands for my 82 year old Mom ... on the other side of town near her house.

Will_Price
01-19-2007, 05:27 PM
I would move the image to the right on the background - wider border left, narrower on right. That would get the girl a little farther away from centered.
I like Will's Title of "Light Industrial" It gives a reason for this girl to be in a deserted factory. Holly

This is why I suggested a flip, and the reason that I moved her a little to the side. I hope these suggestions work out well for you in competition. I have never entered a print into competition, but I may soon, so I hope to have some feedback on my work also.:D

Holly_Howe
01-19-2007, 05:34 PM
, and the reason that I moved her a little to the side. .:D

I liked that she was moved over in your version but I didn't care for the tighter cropping so close to her knee. I think just by moving the whole print over on the board he can accomplish the same thing but still have some room around her legs. Just personal preference.

Holly

Richard_J._Carpenter
01-19-2007, 06:01 PM
Hi Holly,
Thanks for the suggestions of printing down the hands and more canvas on the left. I moved the image more to the right, printed down the hands, all of the bottom area and added 2 inches to the left. You mentioned on a different post about reading left to right and down. I think that it really makes a difference with this image.
Thanks
Rick

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q185/JudsonRickPhoto/lightindustrialsmall2.jpg

D._Craig_Flory
01-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Hi Rick;

Here is the lesson I wrote, a few years ago, about making step mounts. I hope this explains it ok for you.

Will_Price
01-19-2007, 08:24 PM
I liked that she was moved over in your version but I didn't care for the tighter cropping so close to her knee. I think just by moving the whole print over on the board he can accomplish the same thing but still have some room around her legs. Just personal preference.

Holly

you are right, but it was a quick hurry sample;)