PDA

View Full Version : What did you come away with from I-USA?

Michael_Bobinski
01-18-2007, 06:01 PM
My friend and I made it back from San Antonio yesterday. We stayed an extra day because of the weather, and drove 200 miles through the ice on Wednesday Morning to get back home to an even icier College Station, Texas.
(Home of Texas School).

I sure had an enriching experience. In addition to the great programs (there were a few duds there as well), I came away with an expensive box with the words Pro Show Producer on the front. Also came away with an agreement with a new lab, since I was having problems with my current lab.

I met Derek Alvarez aand Jeff Dachowski and had a wonderful conversation with them. They are both great resources for this forum.

Missed the pre-convention get together at Rio Rio. We were there, but had arrived way early. Saw Don Barnes there and passed along to him our wishes for the rest of the group to have fun.

Looking at the trip to Tampa already for next year, as this is an annual event not to be missed!

Michael Bobinski
Bluefish Photography

Holly_Howe
01-18-2007, 06:10 PM
Micheal - I would have liked to meet you. Sorry we didn't cross paths. We bought nee studio managament software and two new backgrounds. I HATE spending money on backgrounds I I have always painted ours. But I just don't have the time anymore. Keith came away with his Imaging Excellance award and a t-shirt promoting IUSA in Tampa!

Holly

Art_Wright
01-18-2007, 06:59 PM
You saw someone else, DIDN'T you???:)

Michael_Bobinski
01-18-2007, 07:37 PM
You saw someone else, DIDN'T you???:)

Yes, Art, I saw you too. :eek: But I see you all the time.:D And I'll see you again at the Bridal Show next Sunday.:)

David_Quisenberry
01-18-2007, 08:53 PM
I-USA My Confession

She caught my eye the first time I entered the showroom floor. Wow, she looked hot. I told myself I would just get into trouble and to simply stay away. But every time I went in the area she was located, I couldnt help myself, I had to take a peek at her. On my last walk of the showroom floor I wanted just one more look at her. I have to admit, I was daydreaming of what fun we could have together. It was crowded in her booth, so I walked and "accidently" bumped into her. OMG, her skin was so soft and almost luminant. What am I doing, Im a married man??? I dont know which of the 7 deadly sins I gave into, but I hope my wife understands when she, my new Larson 4x6 softbox and matching reflector ,shows up at my doorstep in a few weeks.

Jeff_Dachowski
01-18-2007, 11:36 PM
I came away with a lot of funky images!
Will be posting soon!
Jeff

Howard_Kier
01-19-2007, 12:47 AM
What did I come away with?

A request to write a book proposal for Amherst Media
An invitation to have one of my slideshows added to the Photodex Spotlight page
Some great marketing ideas
A confirmation that I'm on the right track
Some great contacts
Sore feet

DianeDavis
01-19-2007, 12:52 AM
A sullied reputation:o

Justin_Moore
01-19-2007, 02:16 AM
This was my first Imaging USA experience and it just happened to be in my hometown of San Antonio just a few months after joining PPA. How's that for a nice setup?

I came away with:

A ton of wonderful information to sort through and integrate into my business.
A Canon 24-105mm f4L-IS zoom lens (hey, $100 off show special from B&H)!
BibblePro 4 (got suckered into this from an awesome demo the salesman gave!)
A Sandisk Extreme III 4GB flash card (for $100!)

I had a blast and hope I'll be able to attend next year!

(I must admit my nametag was full of "flare" - I had "First Timer", "New Member", "OurPPA.com", "PPA Member", etc.) ;)

Joe_Galioto
01-19-2007, 04:57 PM
had a wonderfull time.

inspiration to go out and create art!
admiration - the print exibit was awsome!

6 new background, pro-select software, a fancy light stand

too many brochures and cataloges

and the pleasure of seeing a friend micheal receive his degree of master

Joe

i wish that i had meet some of you there - but didn't

Mark_Katz
01-19-2007, 09:02 PM
What did I come out of I-USA with.

• New techniques to sell, sell, sell.
• 2 Kingston 133 4GB cards at $45 each! (including rebate)
• Photoflex 36x48 softbox
• 2 Pocket Wizards. Now I have 2 for the studio and 2 for the road.. Yippee!
• And a cool new light stand. Hey Joe, is mine the same as yours?? :rolleyes:

Derek_Alvarez
01-19-2007, 09:23 PM
A rash!:confused: :confused:

Holly_Howe
01-19-2007, 09:25 PM
A rash!:confused: :confused:

You musta went to different programs then I did!

Holly

Joe_Galioto
01-19-2007, 09:26 PM
no mark,
mine is bigger then yours
joe

Derek_Alvarez
01-19-2007, 09:52 PM
I think I got it from the T shirt Ron Nichols gave me

Ok seriously I got proshow and a kwik-stand
www.kwik-stand.com

I was broke from all the cab fairs it was to cold for this Florida boy to be walking!
If it get below 80 we use blankets here:)

Dave_Cisco
01-19-2007, 09:57 PM
I-USA My Confession

What am I doing, Im a married man??? I dont know which of the 7 deadly sins I gave into, but I hope my wife understands when she, my new Larson 4x6 softbox and matching reflector ,shows up at my doorstep in a few weeks.

With all of that affection, she may make you sleep with it just to get your priorities straight.:D

Dave_Cisco
01-19-2007, 09:58 PM
A sullied reputation:o

...wish I could have been there.:D

Mark_Katz
01-19-2007, 10:20 PM
no mark,
mine is bigger then yours
joeHmmm... I'm not sure I really want to find out :o

Actually, like Derek, it was a Kwik-Stand. Cool device. I hope it makes location shooting just that much easier.

Derek, I met Ron and I didn't get no stinkin' T-shirt. Speaking of T-shirts, HEY JACKIE... What happened to the OurPPA T-Shirts?

George_Hawkins
01-20-2007, 03:42 AM
They had sticky ribbons for your badge that said www.ourppa.com.
I bought two Lexar 4GB cards for $100 each. A Fuji S5 ball cap, and tried to find source for the D200 hats. I own D200, and did find a Nikon rep who will mail one to me. I really think a dealer had them.

Lots brochures but was careful of weight; some texas material as I was emailed that a friend's son has a grade 4 project on Texas.

I was asked to join friends from my area, so missed the Saturday meeting at Rio Rio. However, I did eat there on Monday night I think it was.

Maybe Tampa, BUT I am shocked that Embassy Suites (in New Orleans I loved the evening reception hour and breakfast included in a very decent price) in Tampa displays a room rate of $599.00. It is connected to Convention Center, but there must be glitches in the system!

George

DianeDavis
01-20-2007, 03:46 AM
...wish I could have been there.:D

Well, since is was a photographers convention, there is plenty of evidence to prove the sullied reputation.:rolleyes:

On a serious note- Wish I was there too- I missed meeting everyone.

Jackie_Haggerty
01-20-2007, 03:50 AM
Hmmm... I'm not sure I really want to find out :o

Actually, like Derek, it was a Kwik-Stand. Cool device. I hope it makes location shooting just that much easier.

Derek, I met Ron and I didn't get no stinkin' T-shirt. Speaking of T-shirts, HEY JACKIE... What happened to the OurPPA T-Shirts?

TALK TO AL HOPPER!!!

I went to registration on Saturday evening to avoid the lines. Al was working at registration. Shook his hand, told him who I was and his reply: "Jackie! Nice to meet you! We didn't get the t-shirts done!"

:(

Mark_Katz
01-20-2007, 04:24 AM
TALK TO AL HOPPER!!!

I went to registration on Saturday evening to avoid the lines. Al was working at registration. Shook his hand, told him who I was and his reply: "Jackie! Nice to meet you! We didn't get the t-shirts done!"

:(Bummer. :(

George_Hawkins
01-20-2007, 02:41 PM
TALK TO AL HOPPER!!!

I went to registration on Saturday evening to avoid the lines. Al was working at registration. Shook his hand, told him who I was and his reply: "Jackie! Nice to meet you! We didn't get the t-shirts done!" :(

They had ribbons to stick under the badge: "ourPPA.com"

I put one on my badge, along with Certified. YOU did not see me & my badge!

I did not see any merchandise for sale as they had before.

Kevin_Russell
01-20-2007, 03:46 PM
Hello everyone ...

Actually, I did see the merchandise booth it was around the end of the 400 / 500 area pretty close to Apple demo booth area. Booth name was the name of the distributor though so it wasn't real evident.

Michael_Gan
01-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Usually, I'll wait a year before jumping into a new camera so that they can a: work out the firmware kinks and b: lower the price.

But the Fuji S5 is da bomb. and at an estimated $1900 ($500 less than the S3 roll out), I may rethink this...just for the 11 shot buffer in RAW alone:)

Michael

Marc_Benjamin
01-20-2007, 05:35 PM
Ok, so I'm back and now that I have time to think about what did I get back from this years Imaging USA....

Let's see, for starters I think this was the "networking" year for me. I've attended the last 5 conventions and I gotta admit it but I only saw 3 classes this time around. I actually got bored and walked out half way out of the third class.

Anyway's, what I feel that I've lost in class time I gained through meeting new friends and reconnecting with old ones.

I didnt realy buy a lot, just leased sucessware, ordered some linnen CD/DVD sleves from Rice Studio Supply (yey) and an 8x10 backlit crystal image display. I actually made it under $1000!

I did touch the S5 and I liked it... S3 chip w/ D200 focus! Sold!

One real nice thing that I got was this little triangle lapel pin thingy that says "silver" for hanging 4/4 w/ a loan this year.

Marc_Benjamin
01-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Oh, I did buy a Stetson cowboy hat though! Yee haa!

Deb_Wat
01-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Inspiration, inspiration, inspiration!

This was my first convention and all I can say is, wow. My legs are still sore and my brain it about to explode with all the information but I learned so much. Mostly, I learned to outsource where I am weak, which I definately plan to do.

I gained creative inspiration, business inspiration and of course, equipment inspiration.

Now the hard part is sorting through it all and deciding what to implement in my studio.

I did receive some exciting news when I got home yesterday. I was awarded my first high school contract. Still have to put it in writing but I don't think that will be a problem. The school has at total of 425 students. 125 are seniors. Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to get it all done!

Deb

Michael_Gan
01-20-2007, 06:29 PM
I did touch the S5 and I liked it... S3 chip w/ D200 focus! Sold!
Actually, not even an S3 Chip. This is even a newer Chip with a greater DR!

Michael

Kevin_Russell
01-20-2007, 09:08 PM
Took away a few images too ...

Kevin_Russell
01-20-2007, 09:10 PM
Took away a few more images ... OK, maybe 700 or 800 ... :rolleyes:

Valerie_Harte
01-20-2007, 09:42 PM
My first year... and to think I wondered if it was worth going... duh... YES! I am already looking forward to Tampa (I love Tampa anyway but this is going to make it AWESOME).

What I walked away with:
Revamp of most of my current business plan... but with the reminder of "making it my own" and ensuring I am still consistent and recognizable

Ok... and some "stuff"
Too many brochures and catalogs so I can ponder new options when I am no longer effected by "tradeshow brain"
A WACOM tablet I had been putting off (and I have already given up "the rock" and love the pen!)
Corel Painter IX... which I was scared of but have already sent two gallery wraps to the lab for printing.
A beautiful "memory chest" box...

... and yep after all those seminars I HAD TO HAVE ProShow Producer and I have already redone my wedding promo slideshow in it for my consultations this month. I showed the other photographer I partner with and her response was... this is <explicative deleted> AWESOME. Guess it was a good buy.... :-)

And last but not least... a renewed committment to keeping in touch with other photographer. I AM going to try and start posting more and stop lurking. Y'all aren't quite as scary as you look. LOL

Holly_Howe
01-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Y'all aren't quite as scary as you look. LOL

Well - some of aren't but better not make that a blanket statement! LOL!

Holly

Mark_Katz
01-20-2007, 09:53 PM
...I AM going to try and start posting more and stop lurking. Y'all aren't quite as scary as you look. LOLAre you sure that we're not too scary??

http://members.iapc.net/~daveedo/markkatz/web/me.jpg

DianeDavis
01-20-2007, 10:15 PM
Welcome Val.

Great and fun community. There is always room for one more.

Valerie_Harte
01-20-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks Holly and Diane...

Mark... ummm.... I guess it is possible for me to DIE LAUGHING... you need to put a warning on that thing. LOL

Mark_Katz
01-20-2007, 10:56 PM
Thanks Holly and Diane...

Mark... ummm.... I guess it is possible for me to DIE LAUGHING... you need to put a warning on that thing. LOLThat's funny actually because I posted this image a couple of weeks ago and someone said almost the exact same thing!

I guess I should warn first. At least my wife and kids stiw wuv me :o

Amy_Cantrell
01-23-2007, 03:55 AM
I love all the photos you guys are posting!

Jeff_Dachowski
01-23-2007, 04:13 AM
Hi
Can I tell you I have a different respect for the speakers on the tradeshow floor?I spoke at the Photodex booth, and I really enjoyed it. As far as the trade show goes....would you believe I did not spend a single dime? Usually I am in for a couple of grand no problem. This year I met with so many folks on the forum that I didn't get to every booth on the floor, and decided what I really wanted to buy, I could do from home, instead of wasting time. It was very cool.
Jeff

Holly_Howe
01-23-2007, 04:21 AM
This year I met with so many folks on the forum that I didn't get to every booth on the floor, and decided what I really wanted to buy, I could do from home, instead of wasting time. It was very cool.
Jeff

Hmmmm - so looking at thr trade show was a waste of time . . . but plying Lori with Coronas, sticking funny glasses on everybody that moved and watching the "girls" carouse with lime peel helmets was NOT? Just so we know you have your priorities in order LOL!!!!

Holly

Jeff_Dachowski
01-23-2007, 04:38 AM
Holly,
I guess you issed the compliment in there!!!
I meant that I knew what I wanted, but I didn't need to buy it there, I can buy it from home, when I can't speak in person with Dave, Jackie, Keith, Derek, Don, Howard, Marc, Zack, Deb, David, Naomi, Michael, Jack and you!
Jeff

I would trade all the trade show for the friends I got to meet at IUSA!

Holly_Howe
01-23-2007, 05:19 AM
Holly,
I guess you issed the compliment in there!!!

Just giving you a hard time Jeff - after all you are talking to someone who didn't even register - just trade show only! I know what you mean though- education valuable, seeing new products valuable, talking to suppliers valuable - making friendships that last a lifetime PRICELSS! Het we could do a Mastercard commercial . . . all in star glasses!

Holly

Howard_Kier
01-23-2007, 07:24 AM
I spoke at the Photodex booth, and I really enjoyed it.

I thought you looked familiar but couldn't quite place you!!! Last year, Mark Ridout and I were treated really well by the Photodex folks in Austin, their home town.

How did you get to be a speaker for Photodex? I've used Producer quite a bit and for many different reasons. I might be interested in speaking for them next year.

David_Capano
01-24-2007, 02:01 AM
You know... this is actually hard to write...

I went

in with pre-conceptions, away with dreams

in with ideas, away with plans

in with excitement, away with wonder

and most importantly of all...

in with acquaintances, away with dear friends that I sorely miss.

Thank you. (you *all* know who you are.)

JE_Hedges_Photography
01-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Okay, so I gotta know... which company was selling the 4 GB Extreme cards for $100???

Justin_Moore
01-24-2007, 12:00 PM
Okay, so I gotta know... which company was selling the 4 GB Extreme cards for $100???

Uniquephoto was the name of the company. I just did a search on Amazon.com and it's selling for $139.99.
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDCFX3-4096-901-Extreme-CompactFlash-Package/dp/B0008D76L0/sr=8-5/qid=1169639872/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5/002-4036577-7554420?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

That said, it looks like you can get a Sandisk Ultra II 4GB for $90 on Amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-PERFORMANCE-SDCFH-4096-901-Retail-Package/dp/B00065ANYW/sr=8-4/qid=1169639872/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4/002-4036577-7554420?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

In the grand scheme of things, I'm not sure you'd perceive a noticeable difference between the two even though Sandisk positions the Extreme line as their "top of the line" cards.

George_Hawkins
01-24-2007, 12:59 PM

I bought from Unique the Lexar 4gig card for $100 each; I think the Extreme was priced a little different. Kim was my sales associate. At the show the sale was from their stock: no tax or delivery, as I took them. She may remember my name; give it a shot.

Mike_Fulton
01-24-2007, 01:22 PM
I came away with a feeling I had not had before, meeting so many new and amazing people and being pulled in so many directions at once I had a hard time getting anything done. I mean I know I am ADD but this was really too much at times. Not being a "RockStar" I understand how "RockStars" like Lori N, Sam P. and Jen H. feel now, at least to a small degree. Sadly you goto these conventions to work and not enjoy and meet people which is what I truly enjoy the most out of life when it comes to photography.

So since no one came around to find me at the collages.net booth to stick glasses on my face I borrowed a pair from someone and stuck them on my "face" to try and fit in more :)

Seriously those who I did get a chance to meet, it was great, I am truly sorry I did not get a chance to meet more people this time, really I am, it was one of my goals and it simply did not happen.

Jackie_Haggerty
01-24-2007, 01:28 PM
Hey! I'm a nobody? I came by to see you, and didn't have glasses yet!

Marc_Benjamin
01-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Hey Mike,

I came to see you also...... weren't you giving out free actions?

Baywatch action figures? or was it beach body oil?