PDA

View Full Version : Print case

Lori_Clapp
01-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Sorry - I know this is discussed in another thread but I can't find it. Can someone please tell me what to look for in a print case?

Is this a good one? Do I need a 4" or 3"? They are the same price.

Thanks!

http://www.adorama.com/FIP5016204.html?searchinfo=print%20case&item_no=7

Auralee_Dallas
01-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Well it depends on how many prints will go in the case. PPA allows 4, and some local affilliates allow 6 but only 4 count for something. Stack up your prints and allow for a little padding (remember Holly's thread about the felt) and measure. I think mine is 3", but its gone to PPA right now. You don't want it so big the prints move around and the folks at print comp don't want to deal with a lot of packaging/padding.

D._Craig_Flory
01-17-2007, 04:02 PM
Sorry - I know this is discussed in another thread but I can't find it. Can someone please tell me what to look for in a print case?

Is this a good one? Do I need a 4" or 3"? They are the same price.

Thanks!

http://www.adorama.com/FIP5016204.html?searchinfo=print%20case&item_no=7

Hi Lori; You want a good sturdy one, with reinforced corners. Fiberbilt is the brand of both of mine and I know I've had one, of the two, for at least 30 years. I would suggest the 3" ... enough room for prints, and padding. I also own a 2" ... but the 3" is a better size. When you can afford it, buy a 2nd case. Here in Pennsylvania, our state competition is close to our regional. So if you are sending a 2nd set of 4 prints to state, if the other print case isn't back in time ... it doesn't matter.

Auralee_Dallas
01-17-2007, 04:56 PM
When you can afford it, buy a 2nd case. Here in Pennsylvania, our state competition is close to our regional. So if you are sending a 2nd set of 4 prints to state, if the other print case isn't back in time ... it doesn't matter.[/QUOTE]

Good advice on the 2nd case. PPA will keep your case for almost a year if you have anything that hangs.
Good Luck
Auralee

Lori_Clapp
01-17-2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks both of you - I ordered 2 of the 3" cases.

Jackie_Haggerty
02-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Hi Lori,

I don't know how you feel about the cases your ordered, but I ordered a fiberbilt strapped case and am extremely displeased by the quality of the case.... NOT worth the $100, and I'd be stretching to say it's even worth $40. I don't have a problem paying more for a case, but would like other ideas to check out.

It's going back to the company.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Holly_Howe
02-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Yeah - isn't that a rip off? When you think you can buy a somewhat exceptable suitcase for $100 - why does a flimsy plastic (or is yours fiberboard?) case cost as much. I think we should get rubbermaid ro make a plastic print case that we could buy at Walmart.

Holly

Jackie_Haggerty
02-02-2007, 05:22 PM
I think Wal Mart brand "rubbermaid" containers have a much better quality. :)

All 4 sides of this case are WARPED! I can't imagine it protecting anything.

Mark_Levesque
02-02-2007, 05:25 PM
I agree that the quality is a bit lacking, but it is quite durable and can take quite a beating in shipping and end up looking the same as when it left. It would be nice if they used a decent adhesive to hold the inner cardboard to the sides of the case. I mean, build quality does reek of beancounter intervention. If anyone knows of a better alternative, I'd be interested.

David_A._Lottes
02-02-2007, 05:35 PM
These look better to me.

http://www.thepierceco.com/supplies/410FPC.htm

What ever happened to the ones with the PPA logo?

Holly_Howe
02-02-2007, 05:43 PM
Or maybe Tupperware? So we could burp our print cases before they are shipped? Goes right along with the drinking on the job discussion on another thread.

Holly

D._Craig_Flory
02-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Hi Lori,

I don't know how you feel about the cases your ordered, but I ordered a fiberbilt strapped case and am extremely displeased by the quality of the case.... NOT worth the $100, and I'd be stretching to say it's even worth $40. I don't have a problem paying more for a case, but would like other ideas to check out.

It's going back to the company.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Hi Jackie;

I'm very surprised ... I've owned two fiberbilt cases, for around 30 years, and they are still excellent. Mine are fiberboard with metal on the corners.

Jackie_Haggerty
02-02-2007, 06:00 PM
Craig,

There is no doubt the cases you have from Fiberbilt are of much better quality than the one I received. It's the changing of the times, and the craftsmanship.

JohnHeckler
02-02-2007, 09:07 PM
These are a bit more pricey ($200) but I got one of these last year and it is really nice. Unfortunately, it is still in Texas :(

So, I bought one of the Fiberbilt ones from Adorama ... haven't received it yet and thought I could get a "cheaper" one, but it looks like I might have to send it back and get another one of these:

http://www.tallyns.com/tpp/amazing/itemdesc.asp?CartId={C1CF8A33-0EVERESTD03-4780-ABEF-2F8F1B35A28B}&ic=T%2FS%2DPCC&eq=&Tp=

Jackie_Haggerty
02-02-2007, 09:43 PM
John- thanks so much. They even have free UPS shipping on orders over $100!

That's much better than my attempt this morning for a case where the shipping only was $60!

Horray!

Dave_Cisco
02-03-2007, 12:07 AM
I believe mine are Fiberbilt..had them for YEARS. 2-1" and 1-4". Personally, the 1" worked fine for 4-5 prints..No padding; just release paper from Coda mountboard in-between.
..and if/when they exhibited warpage, I just brought out the Duct Tape.:D

Holly_Howe
02-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Yea - we had a few cases held together with duct tape. One year when the case came back from national - there was a letter inside - we had better get a new case as the next year they wouldn't accept that one!

Holly

JohnHeckler
02-03-2007, 01:54 AM
Yea - we had a few cases held together with duct tape. One year when the case came back from national - there was a letter inside - we had better get a new case as the next year they wouldn't accept that one!

That is TOO funny! Understandable though when you think about all the print competitions you and Keith combined have probably entered ...

Marc_Benjamin
02-06-2007, 08:42 AM
What ever happened to the ones with the PPA logo?

Hey David,

I have a rare 20x24 Tenba with the ppa logo co brand. They were very expensive (I was very fortunate to be given one) and PPA stopped carrying those around 2002. For a little while, special orders were being taken by BH. Nobody sells the logo ones anymore but people can still get the tenba port exhibit case (which is the same just w/o the logo) via special order.

WPPI also has their own Tenba co brand cases but w/o the shipping pouch window in front. I have one and I like it better just for moving prints around. They are slowly getting away from this as well. I think it's just because the margins are to small and it's kinda hard to stock.

Cassandra_Sullivan
02-12-2007, 02:21 AM
I feel really dumb asking this....I just got a Fiberbilt case. Do I just tape the shipping label to the outside? Or am I supposed to put the case in a box and then ship it? The description of the case says it has a "mailing card holder" - I don't see where that is on the case. Boy I feel like such a newbie!! :o

Holly_Howe
02-12-2007, 02:48 AM
Don't use the mailing card holder - it might slip out. just tape the label to the outside with shipping tape all the way around the edges - so no lose edge can catch and get ripped off. If you are wo0rried about the strap ends just put a piece of shipping tape across them to hold them down from getting caught in anything. DO NOT put the case inside a box. it will not be opened.
Holly

Cassandra_Sullivan
02-12-2007, 11:09 AM
thank you Holly!

Betsy_Finn
02-13-2007, 01:42 AM
Hey guys, thought I'd share my new favorite link...but first, my non-satisfactory experience with fiberbilt. I also had bought one of the fiberbilt print cases from adorama -- well when I got it and opened the case it basically fell apart on me: cardboard fell out b/c glue was so cold, the case was a little obnoxious for me to close/open, and there seemed to be a lack of protection for the prints. I just put mine in the mail today to return it as I bought one of the Tenba cases -- which I received 2 days after ordering it (free shipping!).

If you're looking at one of the higher end print cases, I'll share the reason I went with this one. I also looked at the tallyn's one, which just had a nylon lining...well, the tenba has a lined foam-form insert inside that protects the print corners. It also comes with foam inserts. If anyone's interested -- I found it at Archival Methods (www.archivalmethods.com) for $280. Ok pricier than I was originally going to spend -- but I'm considering it a long-term investment -- and the construction seems more worth the price comparatively, than the fiberbilt case.

D._Craig_Flory
02-14-2007, 03:55 PM
Hi group;

Ok, since quality and durability have been bandied about ... how about some of us old timers posting images of our cases and how old the cases are !!! Here is my older case I bought in 1975.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/PrintCase.jpg

Holly_Howe
02-14-2007, 05:15 PM
Can't post photos of our oldest case. We threw it away after it came back from national one year with a note inside - Do not use this case again or your prints will not be judged. I guess it was in pretty bad shape!

Holly

Lois_Byrne
03-13-2007, 10:33 AM
Curious, so when you're mailing these cases for competition, does the post office have problems with the strap? If you're taping the strap where it has the plastic/metal connector, isn't the rest of the strap loose around the box? Thanks and take care, Lois

D._Craig_Flory
03-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Hi Lois;

The strap is attached, to the case, on the back. So I only tape down the straps on the front. And, I would never use the Post Office. Like almost everyone, I use U.P.S. or other shipping companies.

Lois_Byrne
03-13-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi Lois;

The strap is attached, to the case, on the back. So I only tape down the straps on the front. And, I would never use the Post Office. Like almost everyone, I use U.P.S. or other shipping companies.

Hi Craig,

I mail FedEx most times but I just used post office meaning the places that these cases are mailed from. They - meaning U.P.S. or FedEx or whichever - don't have a problem with the strap being sewn on the back and taped over part of the strap in the front? I'm just imagining the straps catching onto the world in transit. If they don't have a problem, great. I'm going to be buying two so I just wanted to check this out. Thanks! Take care, Lois