PDA

View Full Version : Question about DVD Submissions

KirkDarling
01-15-2007, 03:12 AM
For those who have completed accepted DVD submissions:

How did you label the DVD itself? Full studio identification or just PPA ID?

Did your image number encroach on the image itself, or did you format the image on the slide to leave margin for the number?

John_Stein
01-15-2007, 12:10 PM
Kirk,

I certified well before PPA started the DVD submissions but I have been buring the DVD's for a few of the people here in Maryland.

I believe the submission guidelines say the only identifying info on the DVD is to be your PPA Number.

John Stein

Jeff_Dachowski
01-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi Kirk,
I believe I labelled the surface of the dvd , and nothing on the images. Just a simple wipe between files. I have seen a blurb from ppa on this in one of the certified lietrature, or pdf's.
Jeff

Betsy_Finn
01-15-2007, 02:34 PM
My DVD was labeled "PPA ID# XXXXX" -- You are NOT supposed to put any studio identifying information :)

I put a number in the bottom right corner of each image (on the image). I think the alternate method you mentioned would be fine.... but on the image numbering worked for me.

KirkDarling
01-16-2007, 01:35 AM
I'm not having a fun time with ProShow Gold. I'm not happy with the fuzzy quality of the results, and I can't seem to make a disc that will run on a DVD player. They run fine on a computer, but are unreadable on a DVD player connected to a television.

Here are my settings. What's not right?

http://www.lord-and-darling.net/tech/images/createdvddisc.jpg
http://www.lord-and-darling.net/tech/images/generalshowoptions.jpg
http://www.lord-and-darling.net/tech/images/outputoptions.jpg

Betsy_Finn
01-16-2007, 01:42 AM
quick question for you kirk -- these menus look a little different than mine. what version are you using?

Also -- I assume you're clicking "create DVD" rather than encoding as mpeg or creating an exe, right?

KirkDarling
01-16-2007, 02:05 AM
quick question for you kirk -- these menus look a little different than mine. what version are you using?

Also -- I assume you're clicking "create DVD" rather than encoding as mpeg or creating an exe, right?

Yes, it does look different from the screen shots you showed earlier. It's version 3.0.1897.

Yep, Create > DVD Disc.

Also, I started with 8x10 images at 300 dpi out of Photoshop, letting ProShow do all resizing.

Betsy_Finn
01-16-2007, 02:10 AM
ahh ok mine is ver 2.6...I can't think that it got worse since then :p

when I made my show it was 8x10 @ 300dpi from PS as well.

Ok one other thought -- what are you viewing the show on -- your TV, monitor... etc.?

Betsy_Finn
01-16-2007, 02:12 AM
let me elaborate on that last bit.

If you're only editing the settings for DVD playback (e.g. TV) -- then playing it on your monitor won't look the greatest -- for that you'll need to tweak the PC Autorun settings too.

KirkDarling
01-16-2007, 03:33 AM
let me elaborate on that last bit.

If you're only editing the settings for DVD playback (e.g. TV) -- then playing it on your monitor won't look the greatest -- for that you'll need to tweak the PC Autorun settings too.

Well, they don't look too good on the computer monitor, but I can't get them to play at all on the DVD player connected to the television.

Betsy_Finn
01-16-2007, 03:39 AM
Ok, next question. How old is your DVD player? the DVD may work with some but not others. mine worked with our newer one but not with the 5 yr old player.

I'd go in and edit the PC autorun settings so that it looks better on your monitor -- I seem to remember there being quirky issues --

interesting....

KirkDarling
01-16-2007, 04:00 AM
Ok, next question. How old is your DVD player? the DVD may work with some but not others. mine worked with our newer one but not with the 5 yr old player.

I'd go in and edit the PC autorun settings so that it looks better on your monitor -- I seem to remember there being quirky issues --

interesting....

Well, now, that's scary. I guess the question is: How old is the player the judges are using?

Betsy_Finn
01-16-2007, 04:07 AM
Well, now, that's scary. I guess the question is: How old is the player the judges are using?

good question :p -- I know they were able to read mine.... well, at least I hope they didn't give me THAT much benefit of the doubt (lol) ;) (what color is kidding again? I know it's not green!)

Karen_Linsley
01-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Hi Kirk;

I just worked on my DVD yesterday! It ran on everything I tested it on: TV, portable DVD player and other computer. The only thing I noticed in your settings that different than mine was that in your output options I had "apply anti flicker to video" checked, and desaturate images was set at 100%.

I am using Producer, and had a bit of trouble getting my main computer to accept the stupid hardware key (I hate those things) so I used my laptop.

I too noticed the images looked blurry on my computer monitor, but they looked OK on the TV, except that screen cropped the edges of the photos out, including the image number on some of them.

I'm wondering if I should go back and put the image numbers as captions in proshow.

Betsy_Finn
01-16-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm wondering if I should go back and put the image numbers as captions in proshow.
you could do that. I know that I made sure all my numbers were visible -- but I don't know if it's technically "necessary"

(but I doubt they'd disqualify a portfolio based on the fact the numbers weren't all showing) :o

Karen_Linsley
01-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Hey Kirk; I solved the problem of blurriness (is that a word?) when running the DVD on a pc. You have to change the pc autorun options (in the create a DVD section) to their highest settings.

Still don't know if having the image numbers cut off the lower right hand corner when viewing on a television is OK. Everyone in a position to answer that question is at Imaging....

Karen_Linsley
01-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Ok, I think you can view my certification images by clicking

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=2753905&alb=0

feedback welcome

KirkDarling
01-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Karen,

Notice that the General Show Options page (see my screenshots in te post above) has a field for "Safe Zone for Television Display." I didn't touch those settings.

But if you look in Edit> Preferences, there is a left-side tab for
Show Defaults (below) that has a Scaling dropdown. I selected "Fit to Safe Zone." That made sure everything in the image fit the Safe Zone settings. I'm thinking the default safe zone settings are safe for practically any TV set, so I didn't touch them.

I used the ProShow Show Options (below) to add the numbers (Slide > Slide Options >Captions). Notice that I "hard coded" the captions by X-Y coordinate to make sure the numbers stayed in the same place from image to image.

The 90x90 location is just inside the lightly shaded "safe zone" and was outside most of my picture areas. I felt that keeping the number in one spot from slide to slide was less distracting than having it jump around, even if it wound up on the image in some cases.

http://www.lord-and-darling.net/tech/images/showdefaults.jpg
http://www.lord-and-darling.net/tech/images/slideoptions.jpg

KirkDarling
01-16-2007, 11:34 PM
My DVD was labeled "PPA ID# XXXXX" -- You are NOT supposed to put any studio identifying information :).

I knew that was true about the images, but I wasn't sure about the disc itself. I'm enslaved to the "take nothing left unsaid for granted" lessons they pounded into us in basic training.

Betsy_Finn
01-17-2007, 01:29 AM
I knew that was true about the images, but I wasn't sure about the disc itself. I'm enslaved to the "take nothing left unsaid for granted" lessons they pounded into us in basic training.

Thats ok -- better safe than sorry!

KirkDarling
01-17-2007, 02:21 AM
Well, the discs run on my cheapo (but recent) kitchen player, but not on the considerably more expensive (but older) family room player.

I'm not real comfortable about that.

Karen, doing the numbers as captions in ProShow has a definite bonus over doing them as annotations in Photoshop: If you decide to change the order of the slides in ProShow, it's easy to change the caption numbers.

Karen_Linsley
01-17-2007, 03:30 AM
"Karen, doing the numbers as captions in ProShow has a definite bonus over doing them as annotations in Photoshop: If you decide to change the order of the slides in ProShow, it's easy to change the caption numbers."

I'm pretty happy with the order they are in now. I set them up the way I wanted them in the folder before I ever imported them into Proshow.

View the photos here:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/view...=2753905&alb=0

KirkDarling
02-14-2007, 02:36 AM
Well, the discs run on my cheapo (but recent) kitchen player, but not on the considerably more expensive (but older) family room player.

I'm not real comfortable about that.

The fix for this was to use DVD-R discs instead of DVD+R.

Betsy_Finn
02-14-2007, 12:47 PM
The fix for this was to use DVD-R discs instead of DVD+R.

Ahhh....I knew that could cause a problem! I'm sorry I didn't think of it :o but am glad you found the solution!

Jason_Smith
02-16-2007, 02:19 AM
Guys, I judge the Certification images for PPA. The DVD's don't have to be stamped, beautiful or anything like that. Just your PPA ID# on the front. Your putting to much into the presentation of the actual DVD and not the images on the DVD. Less is more.