PDA

View Full Version : Critique please

Lori_Clapp
01-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Is this a competition print? My sister created it and is thinking of entering it in our local PPA competition. Don't be nice, be honest. If I need to tone it down for her, I will - she's not used to critiques!

Thanks!

D._Craig_Flory
01-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Hi Lori;

Is that cropped or the entire image ? If there is more, please post the entire original file.

Lori_Clapp
01-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Craig, here's the original.

D._Craig_Flory
01-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Hi Lori;

I was afraid of that. An image like that would do a lot better if there was at least 3 times as much area around the horse. Hmmmmm, maybe she could go back and photograph the spot again and then add the horse in Photoshop.

Just like portraits of people, more images with the subject fairly small on one of the golden mean points do well compared to close ups.

I do like the effect she did ... I just wish there was an entire prairie showing.

I did a version , in Craig Style, and hope it gives you some ideas.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i93/DC47/kamiStepMount.jpg

Stan_Lawrence
01-13-2007, 04:36 AM
"Don't be nice, be honest."

I can't see any way of making this image hang.....sorry. :cool:

Robin_Arkenberg
01-13-2007, 04:48 AM
Edited for Content

And the title is: "Are you lookin at my donkey?"

Lori_Clapp
01-13-2007, 05:09 AM
Craig, thanks - I like your version! And Robin, I like your title. And Stan, thanks for your honesty. This may sound stupid, but by "hang"...what exactly does that mean? Is that different than "merit"? For an example, what score would you give this? less than 69? I don't get all the terms.....

Thanks!

Stan_Lawrence
01-13-2007, 05:34 AM
"This may sound stupid, but by "hang"."

Sorry, ancient term.....hang means score 80 or above, or merit. :cool:

Lori_Clapp
01-13-2007, 06:03 AM
Thanks - I've heard it used a lot, but was never sure what it means.

Holly_Howe
01-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Lori - anything 70 and above will generally "hang" in the show. But most of the tiome when someone says "hang" they mean will it hang at National - which of course means 80 or above.

Holly

D._Craig_Flory
01-13-2007, 02:23 PM
Hi Lori;

Holly is correct. Here in Pa. anything below 70 gets put back in the maker's print case. Anything 70, and above "makes the show" and "hangs". Then there are the ribbons. 80+ gets a blue ribbon (award of excellence). 76 to 79 gets a red ribbon (award of quality) and from 70 to 75 gets a white ribbon. The prints are displayed on print racks and are normally displayed in the annual trade show area till the night of the awards banquet. At our awards banquet, a continuous slide show displays all blue ribbon entries throughout dinner.

Any ribbon can be news worthy. (Especially blue ribbons but "Award of Quality" sounds impressive ... so red ribbons can sound great too. Even a white ribbon is an award ... to your clients but especially to the client in the image. Couple the news release, about the prints, with information about you attending a photography convention & learning from top speakers to further your craft !

Lori_Clapp
01-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Thanks for all the explanations. So....should she enter this print for her first competition? I know it would be a learning experience. I'm just not sure if any of you are saying it would even score above a 69 (in your opinions)

D._Craig_Flory
01-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Hi Lori;

I think it's worse to hang the first time than get shot down and try twice as hard the next time. So by all means have her enter it. If the two of you do some sort of a step-mount I think it will score in the 70's. Who knows, you may get a judge that falls in love with and convinces the other four to raise their scores.

Lori_Clapp
01-13-2007, 04:58 PM
Thanks Craig!

Robin_Arkenberg
01-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Lori,

I apologize for the use of my title. It seems that the former trailing word at the end was inappropriate for this forum. Yes, I was referring to the "A" word. Again, I am sorry if anyone was offended by my title.

Robin

Lori_Clapp
01-15-2007, 12:54 AM
I thought the title was great Robin - it didn't offend me a bit!
I see you changed it....get a PM??
Lori,

I apologize for the use of my title. It seems that the former trailing word at the end was inappropriate for this forum. Yes, I was referring to the "A" word. Again, I am sorry if anyone was offended by my title.

Robin

Robin_Arkenberg
01-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi Lori,

I thought the title was great Robin - it didn't offend me a bit!
I see you changed it....get a PM??

How do you "get a PM?"

Robin

Lori_Clapp
01-16-2007, 12:58 AM
Hi Lori,

How do you "get a PM?"

Robin

Apparently YOU don't. I tried to send you one (Private Message) - it says you have chosen not to receive private messages. You must have set it up that way in your preferences.

Robin_Arkenberg
01-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Sorry Lori,

Yea! I'm not an "instant messager","private messager" kind of computer user. You can email though.

Robin

D._Craig_Flory
01-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Hi Robin;

I just wonder if you understand that Lori meant on this page? Private Message refers to the PPA Forum only ... at the top of this page, under where it says welcome Robin. It has nothing to do with AOL instant messanger or any others like that.